Music storage ... MacBook Air ... is iCloud what I've been waiting for?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benguild, Aug 14, 2011.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003

1) So, my 2006 MacBook won't run Lion.
    2) I want to get a MacBook Air, but I have 140GB of music.

The reason I have all of this music with me is for long flights, where wifi/internet aren't available. This actually does matter to me.

Will iCloud cache the music I most often listen to (say, up to 60-80GB of my most often/recently listened to songs?) ...? Then I could get the 128GB MacBook Air.

Otherwise, I might be SOL on this one.
  2. C64 macrumors 65816

Sep 3, 2008
    I don't think there's any caching going on. But do you really need 60-80GB of music with you all the time? That's about 5 weeks worth of music; I'm guessing your flight won't be that long.

Other option: buy a light/small external hard drive of 250GB.
  3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    That's actually not a bad idea.
    However, the biggest problem is only taking the music I actually need with me. I don't know what music that is, and I guess I'd hoped iCloud would know — hah.

Any ideas? I just did a Spotlight search of my music folder of files that have been modified in the past year and it generated a list of about 100GB. Meh.
  4. C64 macrumors 65816

Sep 3, 2008
    If you might need any of your music I guess there's no other option that to actually carry it all with you. Or, if you know some time in advance, re-download that music from the cloud when you still have internet. But that could take a long time and is probably too much work.

You can also consider going for the 256GB SSD option. Costs more, but that'll solve the problem as well.
  5. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    I mean, I can take the hard-drive out of the MacBook and put the original 60GB one back in ... then put the larger one with music on it in an enclosure for a total of about $5 and an hour of my time. I have to reformat the MacBook to sell/give away anyway if I make the upgrade, so this is sounding quite appealing.

The biggest problem is just that the hard-drive is just another thing I have to carry. And I'm going from having all of my music to none of my music whenever I don't have the drive in my bag.
  6. C64 macrumors 65816

Sep 3, 2008
    So, your options are:

1. Buy an Air with a 256GB SSD
    2. Carry along an external HD with all your music
    3. Put often-used music on your Air and download music you'll probably need while you still have an internet connection. Apart from the OS/apps/docs you probably still have about 90-100GB free on the Air. If you use it wisely...
  7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    My iTunes folder alone is like 170GB (just checked) —
    I'm really having a tough time deciding on this. I can't justify paying another $300+ for a computer with more space just to bring my music along, but at the same time it's all about convenience and value.

I like the idea of an external drive, but I'm just not sure. In terms of convenience, updating an external flash drive is a lot faster than trying to access my Mac's internal storage without Target Disk Mode via Firewire. So I think that alone rules out what I was trying before.

If the computer had 3G built-in, then maybe I could download stuff OTA if I didn't have it, and then just have the USB drive with me at other times. Why does this have to be so complicated?

I think I might just get the 64GB model, but I'm really lost in all of this. It's impossible to weed through my music and decide which songs I want (since I already do this on my iPhone only to a slight extent) .. so that's out. Hmm....
  8. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Google music. Stores 20000 (that's 20k) songs in the cloud. For free.
  9. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    Hmm, not sure if I'll have internet access most places....