Music Theory Elective for Someone who has Little Background in Music?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spectrum Abuser, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I really appreciate music a lot more these days than I did when I was growing up. For instance; I had been purchasing the Beatles albums from their CD release in 1988 from eBay, and then bought the 2009 remaster discography just to re-listen to everything and compare the mixes. Growing up I'd just buy "greatest hits' albums from say iTunes and be completely satisfied. Now I have to have the complete albums because I feel as if you get this track melody like the playlist of Abbey Road. Listening to the songs individually was robbing you of the trance state that the full album can induce.

I don't have much of any musical background myself. I know basic chords and strumming patterns for the Ukulele and can play simple songs on the keyboard such as Mary Had a Little lam, but apart from that I've completely neglected that aspect of my life. Would taking a Music Theory class enlighten me further? I mean of course I'll learn, but would it help me become more confident and creative when it comes to playing instruments?

Many thanks for the insight.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I would take guitar, honestly. I'm a bassist but I dabble in guitar to get the creative juices flowing. With the right instructor, you can get enough musical understanding without becoming too bogged down in the theory of it.

If you're looking for more of a challenge, take piano. Of all the instruments, piano is probably the best instructional instrument as you learn two clefs, learning music, as well as the best understanding of chords and keys etc.

3. Spectrum Abuser, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The goal here I suppose is that I'd like to be able to express myself; capture raw emotion into the very essence of the sound.

Long Long Long by The Beatles would be an example. The lyrics follow the progression of the tempo. I figure if I'm tuned in enough to be able to observe those trends I can learn how to create work like that myself. Or Well Well Well by John Lennon.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The key - as an adult trying to learn to play (and understand) music - is finding a teacher/tutor/instructor with whom you are comfortable, and from whom you will wish to learn.