Musician would like to use ipad live- need file transfer advice

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kristenanne77, Dec 4, 2013.

1. kristenanne77 macrumors regular

My son talked me into an ipad.
    I saw all the neat music apps that icould possible use when playing live.
    As a musician the particular files I would need to use are wav files (or crappy quality mp3 files), pdf files, doc files, mp4 file, flv files and maybe a few others. I have these files on my PC. The main problem I have is transferring files. How do you do it? Icloud looks like it is only for photos (there are other comments I can use but then I would be kicked out of the forum). Dropbox is another alternative but I already have it on my pc and would need another for ipad and you can only have one dropbox app on a computer.

Basically i would like to be able to transfer files to some warehouse storage holding facility (called a "cloud") and be able to retrieve the files on my ipad when connected to the internet. I don't really need them to stay in "the cloud", especially since i am not always connected to the internet. I just need a temporary repository to retrieve them and store them on the ipad (128 gig).

After this gets resolved, I wouldn't mind suggestions of some of the best apps to play these files.

I am very disillusioned about this thing. Is it just made for people to surf the web and do crossword puzzles? Makes me want to get a tablet.

I hope someone can shed some light on this and give me some ideas on how I can use this as a musician - or possible suggest some tablet alternatives (or are they just as bad??):confused:.

Thanks
    K

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would suggest you get an app like GoodReader or FileBrowser. They can store and organize any types of files, and can grab files from a network shared drive, or from the cloud.

Also, why can't you use the Dropbox you already have on your iPad?

3. kristenanne77 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok.i installed Dropbox and see the files of interest. That's good. I also installed goodreader but can't seem to navigate to the Dropbox folder. In fact, I dont know how to navigate to any folder.
    I would like to make a special folder and copy the files of interest from Dropbox into that folder and then navigate to that folder from Goodreader.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In GoodReader, find "connect to servers". Tap "Add". Select Dropbox, enter your Dropbox login.

To add a folder in GoodReader, find "manage files". You will then see a "new folder" button.

5. kristenanne77 thread starter macrumors regular

Opened goodreader and did the connect to Dropbox thing I clicked add and received error "Readable title required"

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yeah, there's a title field you have to fill in. Just put in "my Dropbox" or some such.

You could also try reading through the help files in GoodReader, there"s a ? Icon there somewhere.