Muslim communities raise more than $180,000 synagogue shooting victims

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 30, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This.
    Is.
    Beautiful.

This is the kind of thing that happens in my perfect world.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually you're the first to bring this up. Your knee jerk beliefs about who you think the opposition is shows your mental conditioning about who to discredit.

Personally I'm glad this group decided to do this.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

We've heard nothing but condemnation of this group by those I mentioned above, and when they actually do something right, just, and damned well respectful, we hear nothing. So it would be equally as fitting if they either were to praise the people whose religion they condemn for a job well done, or show just as much character as they have and also donate.

But we won't see that, because of how low they have set the bar for themselves. Keep in mind, this is the same group that said that we deserved 9/11 because of LGBTQ and allowing other religions and secular institutions to exist, let alone saying that Muslims don't belong in America.

BL.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I have been watching the news and headlines about the synagogue tragedy and I haven't seen anything about it. You'll have to post all those condemnations.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

9. samcraig macrumors P6

10. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

your first link is from Jerry Falwell in 2001 right after 9/11

second link is from 2017, third link is from 2004.

None of these address the money given to the survivors of the synagogue tragedy.

You can find loads of links and articles condemning muslims for this and that after various bombings and events - which is fine - because we are ALL for the open exchange of ideas whether we agree with them all or not.

What I find disturbing is your knee jerk reaction to instantly interject that evangelicals and christians must hate muslims after an article devoted to giving a gift of healing.

Thanks for shining light on who the real divider is.

13. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Depending on what one searches for one can always find people out there doing good and others doing bad. There are many good people out there and some bad ones as well.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No, and I am not expecting any, as my statement wasn't in relation to the synagogue shooting. My statement was in relation to how that particular group condemned Muslims, yet here they are doing something that deserves praise. Let's see if they have the stones to give them that praise. If they do, I'll be the first here to congratulate them.

BL.

15. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

@bradl why are you so xenophobic towards Evangilicals and Christians?

16. A.Goldberg, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I like to believe the majority of people in America are mostly tolerant people in 2018. It’s the radical fringe groups that garner the attention and propagate hate.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Who said I was? I don't fear them, and I am not afraid of them. My point here is that they went well out of their way to place blame on them so easily for what terrorists did to us who were Muslim, but are completely quiet when Muslims do something positive here.

Please do not put words in my mouth as to what you think my thoughts and feelings are towards a group of people. To do so makes one just as disingenuous as proclaiming that all Muslims are terrorists and that they don't belong in America, despite having a 1A right to practice whatever religion they like.

Should I ask why Christians and Evangelicals are xenophobic of Muslims, let alone any other religion that isn't Christian?

BL.

18. hawkeye_a, Oct 30, 2018

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I did. You are, once again, assuming that all Evangelicals and Christians have the same opinion and view.

Your inability to recognize your obvious xenophobia, is a testament to the quality of your posts in this thread.

19. bradl, Oct 30, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You assume that I believe they all have the same view. I never said that, nor stated that. I challenge you to look at any of my posts here or in any other thread and show me where I have said or stated that.

I'll give you a hint: I haven't.

But you have my leave to go and check. I'll be waiting here for your (nonexistent) results.

Dude. I have 13 baptist pastors spanning 4 current generations in my family. You honestly think that I am afraid of them, let alone any evangelical or Christian? My entire family grew up in the Bible Belt, with all but 3 not living there currently.

But again, you don't know who I am, who I have in my family, or what I have done to make such grandiose assumptions. But then again, you have a homework assignment. Please, do your best to prove me wrong.

BL.

20. hulugu, Oct 30, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's not xenophobia. Even if we were to assume prejudice—which is not what Brad is getting at—that's not xenophobia.

Xenophobia is the fear of foreigners.

In fairness, there are lots of Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterians, and even Evangelicals who have fought hard for Muslims, including those who protested against the so-called Muslim ban last year.

But, mainstream Evangelicals have tied themselves so strongly to the Trump administration that they cannot really escape his prejudicial policies, and there's been a long-term thread of meanness and stupidity from folks like the Graham family, who often treat American Muslims as if they're a foreign invasion rather than a part of the American fabric since the very beginning.

21. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No one knows or cares what your personal anecdotes are about christians or evangelicals and it doesn't give your opinions about them any more weight. All we know is what you post here in this forum. And you've posted a negative and monolithic opinion about christian and evangelicals as if they all hate muslims and are silent when a group does something positive.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The bold is what you are taking out of my statement. That is your own perception of my comments; what you are reading into it, not what I have said. But again, my mind can be changed should they acknowledge the effort put forth by people practicing a religion they have condemnation for.

LOL. From your own link:

I do not fear or distrust Christians or evangelicals. I never have, or ever will. And @hulugu is right in his definition. You may want to read that link again, in addition to that homework assignment.

BL.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You sure about that?

This isn't distrust?