Muslim man loses high court bid to have sons circumcised

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xShane, May 12, 2016.

1. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The Guardian (Monday, April 18th, 2016) - http://www.theguardian.com/society/...loses-high-court-bid-to-have-sons-circumcised

-----

Yet another example where "religious freedom" does not give absolute authority trumping human rights.

Take notes, United States.

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

3. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Interesting fable, to say the least.

While I agree with what you probably meant, I disagree in statement. People do not necessarily even have the right to practice their religion (to an extent), only to believe in it.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It just seems odd to me that Muslims keep the tradition of Bris despite their ban on alcohol.

6. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Let's be real, circumcision likely got its ancient start (and especially it's "modern" start) as a way to prevent masturbation.

Thou shall not masturbate -- it's a sin!

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Common sense prevailed for once. Give that judge a high five.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it didn't work on me :D
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    I had mine at 7 and I did NOT make the decision, just like a pet who is taken to the vet I was put under and boom,I went from turtle neck to cyclops. I did not make my son do it, gave him the option and he decided to keep it.

9. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Right. The important thing is that you gave him the choice -- his choice.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Err, circumcision in no way prevents masturbation. o_O

11. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

It was intended to. Of course it does not.

- John Harvey Kellogg, leading proponent and medical doctor known for advocating circumcision

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The list of things that do is probably very short but it does explain the unnatural obsession with hand lotion in American films.

13. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

And murder. And gore. And violence. But a woman's body, a symbol of freedom and liberty? Nope, absolutely cannot have that under any circumstances.

14. bandrews macrumors 6502a

I think circumcision, like a lot of things in ancient desert books were to do with health and cleanliness.

Or could be like a lot of the other bits that are just completely mad.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

That's kind of like the left's beliefs being forced upon others. Except instead of fire and brimstone, you get a Lefty lawyer to make your life hell, drain your bank account, and eliminate your means of supporting yourself.

16. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Quite honestly, I really fail to see this as a plausible reason.

A surgery performed in some sandy, dirty, bacteria-prone environment with no protocols, sterile equipment, or modern medical care? Not to mention the risks carried with a surgery and numerous possible implications? What could possibly go wrong?
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    Let me guess, the gays are shoving things down your throat?

In all seriousness, please do elaborate about the left forcing beliefs upon others. Keep in mind that this thread is about genital autonomy, so if you could somehow keep what you just said related to the topic, that would be great.

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or the right-wing's, funny how you overlook and give free pardons to the adultering and child molesting that the same folks who went after Clinton did, and on a grander scale... but they're right-wing where they tell us molesting kids and being an adulterer is bad so it's A-OK. They should be luckier the people they diddled weren't the spies they thought Monica was!

Do as they say, not as they do. We know what the "party of family values" is truly scared of, along with the party of fiscal responsibility, and along with the party of Lincoln. The trouble is, the same party hasn't used any of those slogans for a while and there are none being said right now - so is the GOP a party of nothing?

At least the left-wing doesn't dictate how others should live and that families can work out for themselves what and how their relationships should be. The GOP in selling us a concept and then doing the opposite doesn't win over much as a result.

18. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Shh... Talking about the massive cover-up of child molestation by the Catholic Church or the "family values" Christian that molested all those kids isn't "politically correct".

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Depends on how bad the surgeon is.