Muslim passengers removed from AirTran Flight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's an interesting case, both from the perspective of how best to handle a situation like this initially, and if miscommunication really was at fault, what process led to the passengers apparently being refused rebooking and being forced to buy tickets on another airline.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hBXy5YI7iMNGDgZj4jDhyIvPAlJg

I have to admit I've probably complained at least once in my life that I was seated next to the engines (in the days before I started taking earplugs) because of the noise...

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That was pretty rude of AirTran. I would think after they'd been cleared by the FBI of all agencies, it would have been fine for them to fly on the plane.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

These people can't have been real Americans: why haven't they sued? :confused:

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That part, if accurate, is rather surprising. I wonder if it's a case of poor protocol for line employees on the ground at that airport, who didn't know how to respond in the situation? Certainly, if true, AirTran deserves some bad publicity on that account.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like a stupid floor manager to me rather than a policy made by upper management.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Agreed. Let's not rush to blame AirTran. Despite the fact that I despise that airline, I've worked with enough stupid people in airline management in the past that tend to do dumb things that misrepresent that goals of the company. It will be interesting to see how their corporate office responds.

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

You seem to doubt the story the family are telling.

This is another case of people totally over reacting because of the way they look rather than what they said!

8. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think (apologies if it was unclear) that this is exactly what I said. That's why you need protocol, though. So that floor managers don't have any room to be stupid and provide a consistent response.

No, not really. And not the family at all -- it's a new breaking story and there's certainly the possibility that parts of it were misreported. I'm just giving AirTran a little benefit of the doubt, since it seems such a strange course of events. It would seem I'm the one avoiding jumping to conclusions....

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sounds like they were guilty of "flying while Muslim".

10. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I'm thinking it was a case of this sort of thing: (a clip from Harold and Kumar)

Sounds like people being paranoid to me. Similar things have happened often over the years when the threat of terrorism is high - but when we live in such a climate of fear it is bound to happen... just a shame when it does. I hope they got to florida ok in the end!

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Guilty of flying a D.A. airline if you ask me. Also the person reporting these people should be made public. Ridiculous. They should sue the airline and the passenger reporting this non event for being stupid. Welcome to the police state where you cant even say this is a safe area of the plane. 100% Ridiculous. This why we have Lawyers.

12. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

While I agree that the response was ridiculous, the reporters, according to the article, were children....

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A pilot listening to Children?:rolleyes: Lets just fear everyone,everything. The terrorists have won it appears.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My biggest problem is the airline refused to put them on another flight and instead they had to pay for something else.

I think when it was all said and done the airline should moved them to another flight and refunded their tickets for the inconveniences.

moving to the other flight is for both safety of the passagers removed and calming other passagers but they should of been given a free flight for it.

The other passagers on the plane who complained clearly are over reacting. They are self centered and think anyone who is Muslim is a terriost.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well the fearmongering has obviously affected the children. Mission accomplished......the next generation of Americans are gonna be more scared than even the current bunch.

And since when were the words of children of more value than that of the FBI?? If they're going to kick the family off the airplane, at least have the decency to refund them the money. I hope the family are compensated for the flight they missed, plus the 9 new tickets they had to purchase with another airline. Couldn't have been cheap. Probably around of $4000 for those 9 tickets. Absolutely ridiculous treatment, especially since the FBI cleared them.

I've never flown with this airline, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to avoid flying with them if I'm ever in the USA.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

AirTran - Go, there's nothing stopping you...except us.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good time to start a..........petition.:D AirTran should be ashamed of this. I have to fly once in a blue moon and I think they are off my list. Still think its time for the lawyers on this one. That would teach em.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The roads must be icy, thus keeping the litigators away from the scene of the carnage.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I rather doubt it in Florida.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

AirTran has apologized etc but said the steps they took were necessary? I smell B.S. loaded with spin. the steps were not necessary, the couple was simply looking for a safe seat away from the engine! by the way just a week or so earlier another flight had a engine fail burning up and causing the entire plane to be evacuated.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Damn, caught being lazy, yet again. [​IMG]

22. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

According to the most recent report I heard, AirTran did both these things.

Though they still insist they did nothing wrong...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The "profiles" that the airlines work with for "mad bombers" offer little room for error.

They made a mistake, and made it right.

Had the situation been different we might all be weeping this night.

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Actually, ice can form if it gets really cold. Especially on the orange groves (and on roads).

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What are the profiles?