Muslim Population Growth & Sharia Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Islam is the world's fastest growing religion and may overtake Christianity as the number one religion in a few decades. Sharia law is also growing. I can't find a direct link to the video but Vice recently aired an episode about how one part of Indonesia has changed since Sharia law. This should be problematic for many people but talking about it usually gets one labeled an Islamophobe. Seems like some of the world wants to go backwards. Will we be able to do anything about this before it's too late?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...e-the-worlds-fastest-growing-religious-group/

http://www.hbo.com/vice/episodes/05/61-life-under-sharia-and-plastic-oceans/synopsis.html

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Before it's too late for what? There's other religions out there besides Christianity. I think you have a case of islamophobia yourself buddy.

3. obeygiant, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It's interesting that its growing considering that its backwards as f

According to Sharia law:

• Theft is punishable by amputation of the right hand.
    • Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death.
    • Criticizing Muhammad or denying that he is a prophet is punishable by death.
    • Criticizing or denying Allah is punishable by death (see Allah moon god).
    • A Muslim who becomes a non-Muslim is punishable by death (compulsion in religion).
    • A non-Muslim who leads a Muslim away from Islam is punishable by death.
    • A non-Muslim man who marries a Muslim woman is punishable by death.
    • A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
    • Girls' clitoris should be cut (Muhammad's words, Book 41, Kitab Al-Adab, Hadith 5251). FALSE
    • A woman can have 1 husband, who can have up to 4 wives; Muhammad can have more.
    • A man can beat his wife for insubordination (see Religion of Peace).
    • A man can unilaterally divorce his wife; a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.
    • A divorced wife loses custody of all children over 6 years of age or when they exceed it.
    • Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.
    • A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).
    • A woman's testimony in court, allowed in property cases, carries ½ the weight of a man's.
    • A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits (see Errors in Quran).
    • A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).
    • A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.
    • Meat to eat must come from animals that have been sacrificed to Allah - i.e., be "Halal".
    • Muslims should engage in Taqiyya and lie to non-Muslims to advance Islam.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Sharia law is a very strict interpretation of Islam, and typically a hotbed for radicalization. I would be more concerned with the spread of Sharia Law than that of Islam.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks for proving me right so quickly, pal.

Too late for other countries to: kill people for being gay, taking away all rights of women...oh hell, just read the third post.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

.....So maybe its actually time to tear down the absurd notion that "sharia law" is a monolithic idea that doesn't get shaped to whatever local culture practices it? Muslims in India do not practice the same customs as those in Saudi Arabia.

Otherwise we get the usual Islamophobic nonsense that has already been posted in this very thread.

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well with comments like "it's too late" ....... like the world is going to end because Islam will overtake Christianity as the #1 religion in a decade or so. The same could be said about Caucasian Americans in about 20 years......... will that be the end of the US?

You continue to equate Islam to Sharia Law. That's like saying that all Jewish people are orthodox Jews.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

To be fair, the religious right in the US also wants to punish people for being gay and take away the rights of women. I don't think it has anything to do with Islam, and everything to do with Abrahamic religions.

9. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Criticism of really bad ideas (Islam and many other religions) is not a 'phobia' or racist; religion is a choice, nothing else. Censorship of such a discussion is the ultimate form of being complicit.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Women used to be at the top of religion then along comes the bible and they become the lowest.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

so from cowboy to missionary? or how?

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You are right. I just meant that as Islam grows, the chances for more Sharia Law will grow. I should have been more clear. The world won't end but it could be very, very different. Just like that area in Indonesia is now.

I think there is a big difference in the two. The religious right doesn't want gays to get married. They don't throw them off of buildings. They also want to end abortion, they don't want to take away their rights to drive, work, or beat them to death for having affairs.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Like.

Sharia is not monolithic; it's different in every Muslim culture. Many of the less savory aspects of it that we commonly think of are culturally-bound are not guaranteed to follow Muslims wherever they go.

At the same time: as long as secular law rules in a nation, sharia will not "overtake" it.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

They're still trying to take away rights; the fact that it's just some rights instead of all rights doesn't change that. They're still persecuting gays; the fact they don't want gays to enjoy all same benefits and freedoms as straight people instead of just killing them doesn't change that.

No matter how you justify it ("oh well it's only a little right they don't want women to have", or "well it's not like we're murdering them in our pursuit to make them feel unwelcome.") it's still oppression based on religious belief.

15. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It has in parts of Indonesia.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    It is and I'm disagreeing with you on that. I am saying it is an apples and oranges comparison and the old well Christians and Jews do things that are just as bad doesn't work with me. No they don't.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I find them almost as stupid as radical islamists, but let me know when Southern Baptist extremists start throwing gays off roof tops with the moderate Southern Baptists cheering.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The question is, are there shades of difference when it comes to oppression? Or is it black and white?

I think the physical manifestations of these beliefs can be in different shades of bad or worse, but the underlying belief itself is all equally bad.

Our society is founded on the principal that all men are created equal. We haven't always gotten it right, and what that principal means has changed, but it's still our grounding principal.

To me, this makes the underlying issue black and white. Any oppression based on any characteristic people are born with is wrong, no matter how minor or small or harmless.

Is murdering someone for being gay worse than treating them as a second-class citizen? Sure, murder is worse but the underlying belief that one type of person is more deserving of something than another person is equally bad in both scenarios.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Coming from you who seems to love to mock women.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

"Sharia Law" is no more of a bogeyman than (Christian) Canon Law or Jewish Rabbinical Law.

Just as the Catholic Church set's rigorous rules about things like who may serve as a priest, or Rabbinical law sets rules about what a person may eat, or the conditions under which a woman may obtain a divorce - Shariah Law is only imposed upon those who consent to abide by all of its conditions.

A Jewish woman living in the US is legally free to eat shrimp cocktails or file for divorce from her husband any time she wants to. A Catholic housewife is free to take birth-control pills. And a Muslim woman is legally free to wear a bikini or drink a glass of pinot grigio.

Those actions might be, theoretically, contrary to the teachings of their religions, but the fact that we are legally governed by the laws of the United States is what is important.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The question is, would they if they could get away with it? The fact that they aren't ready to commit murder at this time isn't any good if they still in their hearts believe that gay people aren't deserving of basic human rights.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The difference is the bible teaches "hate the sin, not the sinner" whereas the Koran teaches "kill the infidels".

23. ThisBougieLife, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Looks, there's no denying that there are majority Muslim nations where secular and religious law are colliding (Turkey), there are some where religious law reigns supreme (Oman), some where secular law reigns supreme (Malaysia), and some that have a mix of both (Qatar). Islamism was a wave in the 20th century that sought to restore legal systems to their religious sources, often ousting secular rule in violent revolutions.

Sharia is a contentious topic and I do think it's worth discussing. But this idea that Muslims immigrants will take over Western nations and impose sharia on everyone does seem to be rooted more in Islamophobia than it does in any tangible evidence of "Muslim takeover". Mass immigration often sparks fears of cultural takeover, I understand that, but it's also difficult sometimes to separate genuine concerns from xenophobia/racism.

@DrewDaHilp1 I think you can recognize that's awfully reductionist.

24. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Oh, is that why they burned the brooms of accused witches and not the witches themselves...

...oh, wait.

Face it: the only reason Southern Baptist extremists aren't throwing gays off of buildings is that, unlike fifty years ago, they won't have a homophobic judge and jury to basically throw the case into the round file, and they'll have to do prison time. And not country-club-with-razor-wire prison time, either.

That said, I don't want sharia law any closer to me than it already is (i.e. on the same planet).

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No more reductionist than those that are quick to bash Christianity while at the same time willing to bend over backwards and make excuses for Islam.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2017 ---
    Hundreds of years ago vs modern day.