Muslim woman awarded £4000 for being refused hairdresser job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neutral Gamer, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Full Article

"injury to feelings" and "indirect discrimination" ?! :confused:
    Yes, the world has now finally gone mad. (I now pronounce you cat and dog.) :eek:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

insane and stupid, imo.

she obviously couldn't fit in with the job, thats why she wasn't given it. stupidity and the gratification generation take another step forward.

3. kabunaru Guest

4. Neutral Gamer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Agreed. She doesn't look anything like the kind of modern hairstylist you'd expect in a trendy hair salon. In everyone I've been to, the stylists always have the latest and daring cuts some of which you're tempted to ask for. Either way they add to the look and atmosphere of the place.

Who's gonna go to a salon, sit down and ask for a "headscarve please, like that cool, funky looking lady over there's got" ?

I'd love to say we've reached the pinnacle of insanity, but I have this horrible feeling we've got a long way to go yet ...

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Injury to feelings? WTF?

Does this mean I can sue my brother for calling me a stupidhead when I was 10?

The more I hear about crap like this the more I'm convinced we're reverting to a planet populated by small children.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I tend to disagree with you guys...

What if she wasn't pretty enough or wasn't blonde enough or wasn't white enough, and so didn't fit with the "look" of a particular place? Would we be OK with it then?

She's not being hired for the look, she's being hired to perform the service of cutting hair. Her headscarf has nothing to do with that.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps she ignored the paradox of her asking for a hair-dressing job?? ;)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a very capable artist and designer so I'm going to sue everyone who doesn't offer me a job.

9. mondesi43 macrumors regular

So should someone be able to sue Hooters or Tilted Kilt if they weren't hired because they didn't fit into the shorts? Should somebody be able to sue TGIF's because they don't want to wear flair buttons? People need to quit thinking they are entitled to jobs.

If you read the article the owner said she expects her employees to redo their look to fit the feel of her business. It's called a dress code. As far as I know companies can enforce that. If you are expected to wear a suit to work and you want that job, conform to the rules. She should have been laughed out of court. This just opens a can of worms.

10. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

It boils down to one question: was she qualified for the job? If she was not the best applicant, then she has no right to sue, since her choice of wearing the headscarf was not a factor in the decision not to employ.

But if she was the best applicant, but her headscarf was deciding factor, then she has every right to claim that she has been discriminated against.

The choice to employ should be decided on skills, and ability to do the job.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is in the UK, what do you expect? Big brother is watching you every moment,every word,every idea. The Majority are suppose to change for a islamic minority???UK is as screwed up as Washington.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well I suspect this is just the beginning for her…

Next thing she'll be on telly — "Celebrity" Big Brother…

Then the Autobiography… a Perfume… A new range of women's clothing?

I'm sure she has an agent all ready to go.

Lucky us… :rolleyes:

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, Lunja has the right of it.

Nobody is to be discriminated against solely because of their religion. It's not about catering to a minority. It's about protecting everyone's right to have freedom of belief.

IF the award was given, it's because the employer was not able to show valid reasons OTHER than religion for the refusal and were judged to have discriminated based on religion.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shouldnt we discriminate against all religions? Thats the question. Why do we even have this nonsense of religion?

Lets face it we have a bunch of people running around thinking and acting like their favorite book from thousands of years ago.

religion = the business of selling nonsense. Do we need more nonsense?

15. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

my fiancee is a hairdresser and i know the industry quite well as a result....

....salons take the dress code of their employees very seriously, you would assume that most stylists just get up in the morning and slap on the make up and throw on something or anything but trust me its a well thought out plan!

Most of all their hair is part of their 'uniform', its a walking advertisement for the salon and if an employee turns up in the morning for work with horrible hair they have to wash and style it in the salon before any clients get in.

If this woman wears a head scarf then she simply will not set the correct example to customers or even market the salon to the public.

It may be unfair but its the truth, unfortunately thats life!

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

this time i disagree with you.
    looks are important for some jobs, and this is one of them. the request of not wearing a headscarf is completely reasonable in this context, and in anycase to wear it is a choice that she has made.

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

But I often see bald men working as hairdressers or men with shaved heads / buzz cuts.

Some of the most cool / trendy salons in Camden (the real one in London, down the road from me) have hairdressers with shaved heads.

Thus, lack of hair is no barrier to being a cool / exclusive haircutter. So I see no reason why someone who always wears a headscarf can't be a professional haircutter.

It's about the quality of their work not what they have on the skin that covers their brains.

18. remmy macrumors 6502a

Baldness can be fashionable, more fashionable than a comb-over.

19. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Discriminated? How, exactly? She wasn't discriminated because of her religion or her race, the reason was the clothes she wore. Hell, if I started wearing ragged jeans and dirty T-shirt to work, and were eventually fired, could I sue because I was "discriminated against"? Hell no!

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The level of intellect the dailymail.co.uk is aimed at is all the evidence you need the world has gone mad.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This might be good news. I could use this case a precedent for all those cinematographer jobs a didn't get. Cool, where's the phone...

22. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Rubbish. The Daily Mail is a fabulous intellectual resource. I hate all the left leaning detractors of this fine, factual paper. Are you honestly telling me that asylum seekers aren't hosed down with benefits? Just incase people didn't notice, I was being sarcastic. Unfortunately that filth has seeped into Ireland and India as it happens. The Irish Daily Mail my arse.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Qualified for the job" and "best applicant" aren't the same thing. I can be qualified for a job, but if I don't fit in w/the culture, vibe, attitude, etc., of the company I'm interviewing at I'm not the best applicant.

I have to disagree. And apparently so did the tribunal that rejected the plaintiff's claims of discrimination. If a requirement for the job is a funky hairstyle and you refuse to have a funky hairstyle then you aren't the best applicant for the job. The plaintiff was basically awarded $4k because not getting the job hurt her feelings. If you want to dance in a Vegas show but due to religious convictions you won't go topless you are going to have a hard time landing a gig. If an Orthodox jew applies for a waitress job at Hooters but refuses to wear the uniform because the shorts are just a little bit shorter than four inches below the knee is Hooters run by a bunch of anti-Semites or is said Orthodox jew poor at picking jobs to apply for?

AFAIK no one is saying she can't be a professional haircutter because she wears a scarf. Although maybe she isn't very good at cutting hair 'cause, according to the article, she applied for a number jobs but didn't get hired for any of them and eventually moved into the tourism industry. Only then did she come back and file changes against the shop owner.

Lethal

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

God yes.

Someone, please, make sure they get the memo.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, but if you want to be a pharmacist, but have a hard time dispensing all the required medications for religious reasons, you'll find plenty of people who will tell you that's an acceptable stance -- even going so far as to propose legislation saying that employers may not discriminate against someone who is unwilling to perform their job.