Muslim Woman not Allowed to Sit Behind Obama in Detroit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Jun 18, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

So on Monday I went to see Obama get endorsed by Al Gore and Jennifer Granholm(governor of MI). It was fun. We chose to stand for four hours on the floor so we could possibly get a chance to ask Obama a question. I would've asked him how he feels about not winning the popular vote but winning the nomination especially since in his speech he made such a big deal about Al Gore winning the popular vote... but he didn't take questions :mad::mad:
    I wouldn't stand on the floor again, but it was worth it because I got to feel Al Gore's pudgy weak handshake, I tried to get Obama to shake my hand but he completely ignored me.
    people with facebook accounts can go look at pics right here
    So basically anybody was alowed to go sit anywhere they want.
    Heres a pic i took of the backdrop while there still werent that many people inside :

[​IMG]

So we are in the Joe Louis Arena and anyone is allowed to go sit anywhere they want. Keep in mind, its not like people are being directed where to sit, everyone was allowed to sit where ever they please and people carefully choose their seats. I chose to stand on the floor so I could be close. Some people chose to sit right in the backdrop so they could be on TV. Some people chose to sit in the seats close, so they could sit and still be close enough to try and shake his hand afterward.
    So today I came across this link today
    Muslim Woman: Scarf Kept Her From Seat Near Obama
    So I'm thinking the women wanted to sit behind him so they just go up and sit down, but were asked to move.
    I know the link says there were invitations but if I wanted to go sit in the backdrop I could've eased my way over there without being noticed.
    So these women try to sit in the backdrop and they are turned away...
    ...make your own judgments...

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

First of all, again, he didn't lose the popular vote. And I still see you won't let this go. Hillary is gone. It's over. Face it.

But the part I think is funny is that you're ignoring the rest of the story, then claiming you want people to make their own judgments. These were volunteers doing this. Based on the "smear" against Obama, though the real smear is against Muslims who some have equated all of them with terrorists and terrorism. Plus, Obama immediately apologized and later put out a pic of him with some women, some of whom were in Muslim garb.

Nice try though.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You're bitter.

Lethal

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Lets not beat about the bush here.

Barack Obama's "volunteers" did not want their man to be pictured with Muslims for fear of a rightwing media backlash. This is hardly "Change we can believe in" - which is surely one of the emptiest of political slogans - it's just a disappointing continuation of politicians pandering to the small Islamophobic sections of the media.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's tautology in there.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    His campaign has been actively working on "visibility" during the entire campaign, and the last report I read, was that all campaigns do that. The only difference here, is that the whole "muslim" issue is a hot button one. Previous stories seemed surprised that the organizers were so bold, as to say "we need more white people". It's at the heart of politics though, so... I kind of don't care really. This issue does kind of raise a stink though. It's like Apple's iPhone being criticized for AT&T's termination fees or data plan costs that every other smart phone charges. I think its just evidence that people are reporting on minutia now, having not found much else to navel gaze over.

Example:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E5D61139F936A15757C0A96E9C8B63

~ CB

7. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

No Answer is Correct

Is it me or are American politicians in a lose-lose situation?

If you endorse or are friendly to Muslims you're labelled as an al-Qaeda supporter and soft on terror. Whereas on the other hand, if you ignore or criticise anything about them, you're labelled a right wing fundamentalist trying to keep their image clean among "ordinary" Americans.

With American appearing to be a country split 50-50, what exactly can anyone do? No matter what is said, it appears that half the population will hate you for it.

With such a split, maybe the country should just be divided into two separate entities and let both sides live their lives autonomously with people migrating as their political views change? ;)

A subconscious joke perhaps? :D

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So a couple of volunteers act on their own, at an open event, in what they probably see as a Catch-22 situation.

Asking them to move, or having a picture of Obama giving a speech with Muslim women in the background that will be posted on every right wingnuts' blogs with some reference to Obama being Muslim, a terrorist sympathizer, and/or a terrorist.

McCain gives a town hall that supposedly contains Dems, Republicans and Independents only to later admit that only McCain supporters were invited.

While I don't necessarily agree with the volunteers, until they come forward and tell us that someone higher up in the campaign told them to do it we're only dealing with a couple of supporters who made a poor decision.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. this is a non-story.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And sadly, that's exactly what would happen. :(

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I, rather naïvely, was hoping that Obama - and his "volunteers" - would be the type of politician - and supporters - that would not pander to the rightwing media or blogosphere and the politics of fear.

He should be clearly saying that Muslims are not terrorists.

(Forgive me, but I'm just completely pissed off after ten years of Anthony Blair - followed by that bigger disappointment in Brown - and almost eight years of George W. Bush and his administration. I just want my planet back from these ****ing nutjobs before they completely destroy it.)

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you just mad because Obama "ignored you"(and by that I mean he has millions of people who want to meet him and shake his hand, and can't stop his whole day just to meet with you! its not personal, in fact it was the opposite of personal)

But someone on the low level did something you disagree with, I'm sorry but move on.

14. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    He HAS... many times. In fact, its the subject of one of the smears against him. Right now, Obama's struggling not to have the conversation changed on him to some "side show" topic, every other word. "Who cares what he's saying", look at the muslim behind him!

~ CB

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is one of those lose-lose situations. Either you allow the women to sit where they want, and face the inevitable Malkin-style email campaigns depicting Obama as a secret Muslim supporter; or you face this kind of backlash. Now that it's past primary time, and Obama is trying to appeal to the broader general electorate, it sounds like his people made a decision between the lesser of two weevils.

At least his staff didn't make them sign loyalty oaths....

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm sorry to keep on about it, but surely by having these women moved his people have dignified the rightwing bollocks about Obama spearheading a Muslim coup of the White House.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

his people didn't move them. volunteers did, under no orders to do so did this. not the people officially working for him.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Volunteers, supporters or his campaign manager - it's all irrelevant. They all should grow some balls and stand up to Murdoch and his odious News Corp. cronies.

These "volunteers" would obviously have been briefed about making sure that the right people were seated behind Barack Obama. Like I said earlier, they should not be pandering to these wretched politics of fear, but confronting it.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm not surprised, given that he is obviously a political junkie. :rolleyes:

God help y'all South of the border if he ever gets into a position of power. ;)

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They did that a long, long time ago.

It's called, "Canada"... :eek:

:D

21. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

The only way Obama is the winner of the popular vote is if you give him ALL of the uncommitted from MI and give John Edwards zero uncommitted votes from MI, ignoring the fact that he was a major candidate at that time.
    I cannot believe you guys are not getting mad about this. If this had happened at one of Hillary's rallies this would be all over NBC and Faux and you'd see Keith Olbermann yelling and screaming, calling her a racist monster.
    A "sensitive political climate" is all the more reason for a muslim woman to sit in the back drop.

Well I waited in line 90 minutes then it was two hours before Chauncey Billups came out an introduced Granholm.

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I was extremely disappointed by the campaign's actions in this instance, and I don't like to "blame the volunteers." Responsibility always lies with organizers, supervisors, and ultimately, the candidate. I was pleased to see the prompt apology and I hope that, as they promised, it doesn't happen again.

23. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Bigger Balls = Bigger Problems

Haha, nice one. If it wasn't so barren and cold, I'd love to live there especially as I like speaking French.

Please, tell us how you REALLY feel. ;)

The fact is if a presidential nominee stood up to the "right wing media" as you say, such as that personified by News Corp, they'll just make his life even worse. Obama saying he's being "picked upon" by certain sections of the media would open the floodgates for people who clearly don't understand what a joke is (just have a look at the user comments in that article). They'll damn him with phrases such as:

"Oh poor Osama(!) If he starts crying when the media dare to write against him, then how on earth can this pansy Muslim lover have the strength to run our beloved country?!"

By reacting, he'd be giving the right wing media and their supporters the rope to hang himself with. To win an election you need to appeal to as broad a range of people as possible and that, I'm afraid, requires compromises in what you openly say and which people / organisations you can attack. Otherwise you'll distance yourself from too many potential voters.

Ask yourself this: would you rather have a third Republican run government with Obama's balls torn and eaten up by the media or have Obama as president with his balls at the same size but still intact? :)

Life's always a compromise. That's why the MacBook Air has only one USB port and no dedicated graphics. Probably why there's no 13" MBP and no headless iMac. (What does that have to do with anything? I don't know, I just wanted to mention something about Apple in the PRSI forum considering this is MacRumors and all. :D)

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The best defense is a strong offense. Obama should be firing back, debunking the ridiculous stuff and attacking McCain on his obvious flaws. Rahm Emmanuel made that the strategy for the 2006 Congressional takeover, and I think it was wise. We saw Kerry avoid this approach with the Swiftboaters to great calamity.

Rejecting people from your public image on the basis of religion isn't the way to do this. I mean, if there isn't even one party that will stand up for a much-mistreated religious minority, that's pretty shameful. And if he needs to piss on minorities to win enough votes to win, he doesn't stand a chance--the Republicans will beat him on that every day of the week. Their debates seemed to me a contest to outdo each other on hate speech masquerading as jokes.

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Why, am I not articulating my disappointment clearly enough for you?

( :D :p )