Muslim woman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 26, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Most stories about Muslim women seem to usually involve cover ups :).

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That’s actually pretty funny. My guy back there in the vest looks ticked off! :p

But seriously, bigots? They’re talking about Islam, not Muslims. If they said Muslims were murderers, that’s one thing, but how can you be a bigot for talking about ideology?

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think the fact those imbeciles are generalising an entire religion to support ‘blood and murder’ is enough to fall under the definition of bigotry. Its not even an opinion but a completely false advert which I doubt they are able to justify.

Good on her though as she’s created a good laugh at their expense and her message is much more powerful than their seeing as it’s gone viral. Awesome

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'll be that guy...

The only thing I really noticed about that picture is the lady is HOT

8. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I’ll be that other guy...

I wonder what would happen to a Christian(or Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, athiest, etc) woman in a muslim-majority country who does something similar?/s

Cue the “all religions are bad” crowd...

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Why don’t you try it?

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So what's your definition of "bigot"?

Here's mine (from Wiktionary):

1. One who is narrow-mindedly devoted to their own ideas and groups, and intolerant of (people of) differing ideas, races, genders, religions, politics, etc.
    Under this definition, they qualify as bigots, as they are intolerant of a different religion.

11. Solver macrumors 6502a

Now if we could just get a Catholic nun to smile confidently in front of these protestors.

upload_2019-4-26_10-17-3.jpeg

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

That’s not what you’re definition says:

That’s a pretty big difference, and I’m not seeing intolerance of people anywhere in those photos. They seem to be intolerant of the belief system.

From the Oxford dictionary:

big·ot
    /ˈbiɡət/
    noun
    1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.
    Those. As in people. You can be intolerant of ideas all day long, because some ideas are legitimately awful.

What you’re saying cannot possibly be the definition of bigotry. Think about it. If we’re not allowed to make a critique of or have an unfavorable opinion of any religion without being called a bigot, can you not see how problematic that would be? We could stumble across some remote tribe that believes in daily human sacrifice and female genitalia mutilation as a pathway to spiritual enlightenment and we wouldn’t be able to call any of that out because “bigotry”.

13. cube macrumors P6

Where's the police?

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Maybe the "Catholic nuns" and other female religious workers are still too busy fending off oppressive behavior of the likes of RC archbishops who have mouthed off about how American nuns should pay more attention to keeping parishioners' focus on doctrinal edicts against abortion and birth control... instead of the nuns "wasting time" on Christ-following efforts to help clothe and feed the impoverished among us, regardless of religion or any other shape-shifting separation of human beings into labeled groups.

Then again one may remember a few stories about some nuns who could probably beat the tar out of any protestors depending on how rude they became. Seems there are some nuns who have had no problem punishing grade school kids for infractions like chewing gum or sassing a priest. A whack on the knuckles with a ruler, or making one kneel in short pants in gravel is probably enough to make some grown men cry uncle after awhile.

Guess it's the luck of the draw with nuns, archbishops and for that matter, street protests.

Good question,,,, right behind "where's a photo caption and some context?" Maybe the police were guarding the protestors if they had a permit to march under banners that may have proved provocative to some bystanders.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, call them what they are then. Being uninformed and/or having an unfavorable opinion about a religion or any ideology for that matter doesn’t automatically make one a bigot. That doesn’t make sense.

16. cube macrumors P6

Err..

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Fixed. Thank you.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Love that one sign that says Islam is the religion of blood and murder.LOL

Hello Christianity !

19. Solver macrumors 6502a

It could be that the police are out of the frame. Or maybe they are not there at all.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Their banners for me fall under the definition of bigotry so I will maintain that stance.

There is only a handful of them and they have made themselves the butt of the joke unwittingly so to be honest I think justice has been served by the lady here lol.

21. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Now imagine the white woman in front of Muslim protesters...horror.

22. LordVic macrumors 603

irrelevant. We here, claim to be bastion of freedom, where anyone of any religion is free to live under our western rules peacefully. Our western rules are founded on secular governance that imposes no grevances on others based on their religion of practice.

The nations you are refering to do not fit into this definition. Many are authoritarian kingdoms. Many are led by Religious ideologists.

Here's a case of a bunch of bigots who are generalizing an entire religion within our society. Which we allow and afford them the right to do. We Also because of these rights afford the Moslem's the right to mock, take selfies, and stand in front of those protestors as they also deem fit.

your attempt to make this about "You" and play what-a-boutism is absolutely silly in the context of this thread. Nobody is claiming that if you, a christian did that in say, Saudi, you'd be treated well. We know that's not the case at all. And we, in the west, with our ideals consider ourselves "free" because of it. Everytime someone talks about this sort of religious freedom, you seem to always want to make it about Christianity as some victim in all this.

why? Like above, it would have zero relevance. If you had a bunch of Muslim protestors standing their with signs about how christians are all child raping pedophiles, and you, as a christian decided to get in their faces, mock them or take a ironic selfy, I know we'd probably laugh just the same "what abunch of moronic protestors, serves them right for being mocked"

you're again, like the poster I responded to, attempting to make this about you and turning yourself into a victim. Why? that's not what this story is even about.

23. cube macrumors P6

Then maybe there's a smiling nun there too.

24. Solver macrumors 6502a

You have quite an imagination.
    :D

25. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Whataboutism isn't just a bad argumentative tactic, it's a way of life.

@BeeGood The "of people" is parenthetical for a reason. It's optional. It may be in most cases, but there are means of criticizing another religion that are not bigoted.