Muslim women OWNS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 11, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Pretty long, but this Muslim women held her own against the misogynist Muslim culture. The more I watched the more impressed I was. :D

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Good luck with that, lady.

She admits that 'God himself is patriarchal' but then goes to explain that the god she wants to believe in is not a misogynist. Sounds like she's well on the route to realising it's all just nonsense.

3. Huntn, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I listened to a female Muslim activist on PBS who said the problem was Muslim fanaticism is the idea that all this murder and meyhem will get them into heaven. Maybe the same person? I did not watch the video.

Instead of trying to make the world a better place peacefully, living this life, they are preoccupied with death and paving the way to the afterlife, although I'd argue they are paving their way to Hell (if I believed in Hell).

Bring on the virgins!! :p My perspective is that if you grow up in poverty or strife, you might start thinking all that flowery religious rhetoric would be good to hasten through jihad, although my impression is that it's misapplied jihad. I don't believe that Mohammed believed in killing other Muslims as a practice was a good idea, yet look at these terrorist groups in the Middle East. By far they are killing more Muslims than any other religion.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

The idea that muslim women are repressed by Islam overall and uneducated is outdated and archaic and needs to be put to bed

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No it's not, some of these literacy rates among women are appalling. Being a Muslim woman is the worst thing that could happen to you if you value education.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muslim_Statistics_-_Education_and_Employment

If you can get through college without getting charged for being raped or honour killed afterwards you might go on to make a decent YouTube video.

6. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Whether you want to blame it on religion, culture or a combination, Muslim women in the Middle East are repressed, no ifs, ands, or buts. If you question this, ask yourself how equal are they as compared to their male counterparts? Something as basic as driving a car, denied...

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Western Left is unperturbed by--and in fact defends--misogynist patriarchal Muslim culture. Witness the treatment of Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

8. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Actually, the 3 Abrahamic religions all oppress women in their orthodox or fundamental forms.

The whole point of religion was to control the masses, including the women.

This is why it would be nice if we could stop pretending religion is a good thing and end the nonsense.

9. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Source?

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Your comment about the oppression of woman is very true. In fact, Taoism if I remember correctly is one of the few religions that doesn't separate/oppress woman in one way or another. For the majority of history societies have been patriarchal. It's not surprise that religions reflect this.

That said, I today the oppression of woman comes down to culture. In America and much of the western world, religions (aside from the limited number of Orthodox followers) have adapted to give woman equality. This is seen in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and most others.

I just see religion in this case as an excuse to continue to oppress woman in order to maintain control and keep the status quo. People have a right to practice whatever they choose but if they choose to be equal they should be given that right.

11. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

A worthy standard- religious freedom and sexual equality. Unfortunately most religious fundamentalists are hostile to this idea. Male chauvinism has its appeal in many circles.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Indeed. I'm not sure how you make the jump from relgious oppression to relgious and gender freedom/equality. I don't think the woman in the video has a clear grasp either. How do you empower a group of otherwise powerless people? I'm sure the "woman in power" in such regions are mostly puppets anyways or only chosen because they conform to the historic way of thinking.

13. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

It's a cultural problem. There is no easy path. The early pioneers will most likely be murdered.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Yet some Islamic countries have had women prime ministers, something more progressive for women's rights than even the U.S. Has yet to achieve.

----------

Where did I say in the Middle East, I was talking about Islam worldwide ;)

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Your argument also does nothing to refute the facts in the link.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Sim667- If I am reading this correctly you are referring to Muslim woman worldwide? While I obviously agree with you not all Muslim woman are oppressed, the video we are referring to here is speaking strictly about Woman in Middle Eastern Countries.

As the video demonstrated, there are some woman born and raised in the Middle East who have become successful. That said, the guest speaker is speaking about the large population of poor, underserved, undereducated woman that are forgotten, raped, trafficked, and abused because of their gender.