Muslims fleeing the UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Have Brits really turned on their muslim neighbors to such an extent? Have conditions for muslims in the UK become so bad that they're feeling forced to flee to escape racial and religious hatred?

From the BBC web site;

(the bold & italic text above is my edit in case it isn't clear)

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

some people are sooooooo narrow minded it makes me sick that they think they have the right to act in that way.

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

From the point of view of political ideals, this clearly is a negative development. Any time a population (ethnic or religious etc.) feels compelled to leave, it says something negative about the society from which it flees.

There is no excuse for the kind of anti-Muslim bigotry on display here, or indeed in the U.S. Furthermore, it is also clear that it's counterproductive - you can't assimilate into such a society - it only breeds resentment and the very kinds of actions that we'd all like to avoid. It is a bad thing, period.

However, the sad truth is that reality is rarely simple, uncompicated black and white. It's messy. For example, there's no question that if there were no Muslims in GB, there'd be less risk of terrorism from Muslims in GB - obvious, isn't it?

In general, some populations are easier to integrate and assimiliate than others. A Check moving to GB would have an easier time assimilating and being accepted by the locals.

The fact remains, that during this particular historical period, Islam is producing a lot of extremism and violence. I'm not saying it's somehow inherent to Islam - a lot of this violence is motivated by the West's actions (invasion of Iraq, f.ex, or support of Israel). Still, whatever the reasons, this is a bad time for Islam.

Imagine a second Britain, which openly decided to discriminate against Muslims - by denying any Muslim entry or residency. There's no doubt GB would have fewer social problems resulting from Islamic violence. And not just on political grounds - there are problems of social adjustment as well... what do you do with a culture that insists on putting women in an inferior position, and refuses to obey the laws of the land in such social issues?

Look at Japan - they have no problem with Muslim terrorism. Sure, we can bitch about how closed they are to immigration, but they don't have Islamic bombs going off either.

And those Muslims who emigrate from Britain to the ME, may soon find themselves quite unhappy in their new promised land, because their problems in Britain, regrettable though they were, are nothing compared to the restrictions they will now face... they take so much for granted having grown up in GB.

In the end, there is no perfect solutions. I think that every country, including GB, should be extremely careful in admitting foreign immigration - if you come from a country with a 7th century social system beliefs, that you are unwilling to part with, and unwilling to totally abandon your old ways and obey the laws of the land you are freely immigrating to... well, you can't get in, sorry. Then you avoid some of the insane problems with adjustment that some Muslims often have - all over Europe, even in countries that treat them with kid gloves and endless kindness (Holland).

However, once you do admit them, once they have proven their good will and absolute loyalty to the new land - you have an obligation to be 100% free from discrimination and prejudice.

So, it can't be all: GB bad, Muslim good. There's faults on both sides.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So, all we have to be is a little islamophobic and they'll leave? Why didn't anyone tell us it would be that easy?

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That's why England is worse than Ireland. I remember them beating the Irish up. Sounds like the they are using the Spice Girls to whip the Muslims.... ouchers baby! :(

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- how sad. I remember going to the Islamic school around the corner from my apartment to make sure they were OK after 9/11. They left their front door wide open for days. I was like, you guys might really want to be careful. They said, we need to show that we're not Ok with what happened and that anyone can come talk to us about it. A week later, someone drove a car into the building. They tried to stay, but got run out by the landlord. Now the place is a physical therapy center.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's not even on the same planet as funny.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know what? Someday I'll see you face to face and call you what you are. Until then, I guess I have to wait. :mad:

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow, how could that not be akward....

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was. It was horrible. But it was around the corner from my place and they were always nice. Me and my roommate wanted to make sure they were OK. And no- I wasn't really feeling particularly charitable towards Muslims at that time. But they were still my neighbors.

And I want to just say one thing right here: I can't stand any religion. I think it's ridiculous and stupid. But if someone wants to believe it, fine. No one should tell you you can't. This is the US after all.

11. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

If the Muslims are fleeing the UK, they're probably going to Dearborn, Michigan.

Seriously, we call that place Mich-ganistan.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No no. Its Dearbornistan. :D

13. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm wondering what kind of underwear these Muslim men wear. I go to these Muslim clothing sites and they never list any underwear. :confused:

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Wow, scratch the surface and peoples racism really comes out (there and here :( ).

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Whilst I love Ireland and the Irish (f*ck I am one) anybody who's lived in or visited Ireland in the last twenty years knows that racism there is every bit as bad as the UK.

(this doesn't excuse the appalling treatment of the Irish by the Brits by the way).

17. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

That's the problem with politicizing everything and every social problem.

The simple fact is that no society or group is perfect (duh!), and that gets lost in the heat of debate. The Right demonizes the Muslims, and sees no fault with the West's treatment of Muslims and the Left all too often is willing to make Muslims into some kind of saints while all the faults lie with the West. Both are obviously moronic positions.

It took us a long time - centuries - of hard work and many battles to arrive at something that may be labeled a free society (the Right is working hard to make it less free though). The Islamic world has not had that opportunity - there's been no Enlightement epoch for them. They are still stuck in a world of some 500 years ago (this is roughly when the social, political and economic development of the Islamic world slowed dramatically and was arrested in many ways).

As they say - when in Rome do as the Romans do. If I were to immigrate to Saudi Arabia, I'd have to obey their laws and live within their social expectations. It's exactly the same for Muslim immigrants to the West - they must accept our ways - our hard won ways - and the fact that we are not willing to roll back our development and achievements back 500 years. In turn, a Muslim should be treated no worse than any other citizen - sadly, this is often not the case.

This is why I'm so against intereference in other countries affairs. I think we should let the Muslims develop at their own pace - help, if aksed for help, advise if asked for advice, but not to force our ways on them. And in turn, if someone from XYZstan tells me I'm an infidel, well, he can go talk to the hand.

It is my considered opinion, that the West - while far, very, very far from being perfect - is certainly closer to what may be called a civilized society than anywhere in the Islamic world. At the same time, I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that someone from there may think the exact opposite. All I ask is that we not force our opinions on them - and they not theirs on ours. Let peaceful development and the course of history prove who is right. Meanwhile, let's try to live in peace and with mutual respect.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is the same thinking as the terrorists. All Muslims aren't terrorist. And luckily, all Americans aren't like you.

What a disgusting and horrible thing to thing to say.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There was zero risk of terrorism from Muslims in GB before Blair took us into Afghanistan and Iraq. There have been Muslims here for generations without any risk of terrorism.

Some populations are not brown.

Christianity and Judaism are producing a great deal more: compare the body counts if you will.

What do you do with a culture that insists on putting women and young girls on sexual display and then victimising them for the consequences? Reminds me of Gandhi's retort: "What do I think of Western Civilisation? I think it would be a good thing."

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, some bits of the UAE are pretty nice. I guess, with a certain amount of tension built up at home, moving away to UAE looks pretty attractive right now.

Things will improve in time, it's just a shame that the actions of a few have had such negative ramifications for many others.

21. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I did some searching and found out they don't wear underwear; they wear these white pajama bottoms with these long shirts that go down passed their knees. Seems like their clothes would be comfortable though.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Some of the rabid racism in the British press over the past five years has made me ashamed to be part of this country. I don't blame British muslims for leaving. I just hope they take all their money with them too. I'm sure a sudden 10% drop in the UK economy would show the Murdoch reading chavs exactly what we've lost :mad:

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What has this got to do with anything? :confused:

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

All this nether region kissing had to eventually lead to someone thinking about their underwear.

For those of you differing with my point of view on muslims overall all I can say is that my opinion is based on 30 years of bad dealings with them. I think they all should be as welcome in western civilization as Catholics and Jews are in Riyadh. I've been at the butt end of their openmindedness for too long and that was supposedly the good ones. Hurts when they get the same in return, don't it?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you have proved so consistently bad at dealing with cultures other than your own, what insight can you possibly provide which might be of value, apart of course from your terribly witty and incisive put-downs?