Muslims forbidden to go to Mars?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMacFarlane, Jul 10, 2014.

1. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Found this while trying to answer a coworker's question regarding nuclear powered deep space probes:

Umm . . . What . . . ?

A few contradictions come to mind:
    • Jihad
    • Honor killings
    • Suicide bombings
    • Martyrdom

Surely the man quoted above is aware of the items in this list. Thoughts? :confused:

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While in jest, but bringing up a good question..

One issue I could see with Muslims heading to Mars would be how they would handle Ramadan. I mean, they're in space! When would the sun rise or set for them to observe the fast?

BL.

3. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Don't you know, when you are religious you can pick and choose which parts of your holy text you wish to follow.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Works for me. I'm Catholic, but I ignore a lot of Exodus, Deuteronomy and Leviticus. Maybe I math is off, but I don't agree with the Bible stating that π = 3.:p 1 King 7:23 and 2 Chronicles 4:2. Yeah, I ignore that part too.:D

If I followed EVERYTHING the Bible taught, I would have to stone the lot of you for one offense or another.:eek::eek:

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yep. Thats my favorite thing about religion.

I am catholic, too and I make it up as I go along :)

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, I would not feel so all alone...

Eeeeeeeeeverybody must get stoned! :p:D

BL.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think the most challenging thing for a Muslim on Mars, or on the way to Mars, is which way to point one's prayer rug to be facing Mecca.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Clearly aft.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A flight to Mars would not travel in a straight line, "aft" would rather quickly be pointing hundreds of thousands to millions of miles away from Earth/Mecca, a Muslim might end up praying toward Aldebaran (which, admittedly, is an Arabic name). But, once on Mars, figuring out where Mecca is would be very challenging.

11. iMacFarlane thread starter macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Right, I know. But the extremists are extremists because they are taking their holy text word for word, in an extreme fashion. So right there in the text they use to justify all the killing, is a passage that expressly forbids it.

Look, I was raised catholic, became "born again" at 20, then slowly gave in to reality and fully embraced skepticism and the beauty of science just 2 years ago. I'm 46 now. I know the Christian bible very well, I've read the thing cover to cover about three times, and have plenty of hours of study logged to boot. It is totally rife with contradictions just like the above mentioned Quran passage. I'm used to the debates that christians and what we term "christian fundamentalists" bring to the table, very similar to the above schism between rational Islam and it's minority extremist elements. The story just really rung my bell as I read it, so I thought I'd get your views on it.

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

All religions have their contradictions, one of the main reason why I am atheist. The biggest problem with Islam are the hadit supposedly written by people that cannot lie. Yet again, there are contradictions between the different hadit.

My point was that Islam and the quran forbids all kind of self-inflicted harm so that said, the GAIAE is right when issuing this FATWA, there are just too many risks involved with this voyage.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Maybe religious leaders are afraid that people of faith going to space might strip them of their faith. Think about it, the major religions are all completely earth focused, this is a key sign that they were created by man alone. If they were indeed the word of god like the religious folks claim, wouldn't god talk about space a lot more since it's a subject he would know a lot about long before humans? The fact that "the heavens" are not often mentioned are a key sign that religious texts were written by primitive humans. When someone goes to space and sees everything with their own eyes and realized how tiny and insignificant their little earth based holy book is, it may cause them to question their faith. If god wrote the quaran, he should have anticipated humans eventually going to space and should have included instructions on how to pray to Mecca from anywhere in the universe. But he didn't.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Nah it was the prophet that wrote down every single words out of memory after an angel recited the whole scripture to him.

See how silly that sounds? :p

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's easy. Mecca's on Earth, so just point the rug towards it. If it's above or below you, just ignore the z-axis, and only worry about the general direction.

As far as I know, Islamic people don't have to pinpoint the exact location of Mecca relative to their position when they pray. They generalize it anyway, so doing the same thing on a universal scale won't be any different.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Actually, IIUC, Muhammad the profit never wrote down any words. The Quran is some apparently beautiful Arabic poetry that he barfed out like some kind of savant with Tourette's or something that was transcribed by others. The other stuff – sunnah, hadith and by extension shari'a – is biographical material (not autobiographical) written by people around him. By comparison, we only know of Socrates' words through Plato, and Jesus never lifted a quill or pencil either.

17. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Ah my bad.

As for Socrates and Plato, I'm sincere believer that Plato is the smart one but didn't want to take credit. :p

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Women can't even drive in Saudi Arabia, and we are talking about spaceships?

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Women can't drive in the US either.:eek::p I kid, I kid.:eek: In all fairness most Americans can't drive.:(

Nothing against women drivers. I'm a pretty skilled driver, but I personally know half a dozen women whose skill far, far exceeds mine. One of them taught me how to drift.:cool:

Anyone remember Star Trek: Generations? The first time a woman (Lt Cdr Deanna Troi) pilots the Enterprise-D. Is my curly tail showing?:p:p:p

20. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Jihad isn't what you think it means.

Honour killings aren't Islamic.

Suicide bombings aren't Islamic.

Martyrdom isn't suicide.

HTH.

21. iMacFarlane thread starter macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Okay. What does HTH mean?

22. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Hope this helps ;)

HTH.

23. iMacFarlane thread starter macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

According to UrbanDictionary:

Whoa.

24. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Well with the linguistic variation that comes with the internet, it's only natural that acronyms and sarcasm will vary. I meant it genuinely without being condescending.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have been when considering those contradictions.

HTH :p