Muslims threw Christians overboard during migrant voyage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Apr 16, 2015.

1. aaronvan, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thousands of migrants drown in the Med every year, and now this. Illegal immigration into Europe is getting very ugly.

Is Europe tackling their immigration problem or are they just waiting for the United Nations or NATO (i.e. the United States) to do something?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/europe/italy-migrants-christians-thrown-overboard/

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think it's important to say that I'm against throwing people overboard.

This last semester I got a pool pass. As a kid I took swimming lessons and I've always considered myself a decent swimmer. But many years have passed since then and I was somewhat surprised to find out how difficult swimming is for me now.

For me it's the breathing mostly. I find it very easy to be distracted in my swimming motion by trying to learn bilateral, 3-stroke breathing. Some people say that swimming can be boring, but for me it's just the opposite. I look forward to the day I can turn laps without stopping, smoothly cutting through the water with purpose and speed.

But that's why I'm against throwing people overboard.

Because swimming is hard.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Well that's a compelling argument but I'm unconvinced. I remain ambivalent about throwing people overboard.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm a proponent of hanging by the yardarm, but not for a select those seeking a better life.

5. bandrews macrumors 6502a

What should Europe do? It's fine the US just having to patrol a thin border with South and Central America where people are trying to come across for work and I think Canadians are a pretty decent bunch.

Europe however is attached to or at least close to pretty much every nation with a major humanitarian crisis and to those refugees Europe is not the chance of a better wage but the difference between life and death.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What should Europe do? Stop shrinking their militaries and expecting others to bail them out. The sea routes from North Africa to Italy are well-known and Italy is a maritime nation. The Corpo delle Capitanerie di porto must patrol the migrant sea lanes and prevent thousands of drowning deaths. I’m not saying all migrants deserve asylum but do the right thing, man.

Well, yea. However, most migrants are sub-Saharan Africans passing through North Africa.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Muslims are soooooooooo insecure. Really, other religions are such a threat you can't just let them be?

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

How about we change "thrown overboard" and "swimming" with "murdered"?

Making light of this atrocity is pretty bad. Is it just because they're christians? You don't like christians?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Muslims practice the eye for an eye crap, throw them overboard according to their customs in the middle of the ocean and be done with it

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't support that either.

I am firmly anti-murder.

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The latter, obviously.

We're waiting for you to deploy two or three carrier strike groups in the Med, because carrier strike groups always make everything better.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how much oil do you have to offer? carrier strike groups are reserved for our special interest groups only.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

The strike group that took out 3 Somalis simultaneously made everything better.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Oh, yeah.

Attached Files:

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think citizenzen's point here is that this is kind of a non-story, inasmuch as there is not a lot to discuss. The underlying premise seems to suggest that muslims are nasty people, but I would not even know where to go with that.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'd suggest that the 15 Muslims that the Italian authorities arrested are very nasty people. Very nasty.

Of course, there are some (not you) who will rationalize any atrocity so long as the perpetrators aren't of a pale, pinkish hue.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is certainly atrocious, but what should we (or the Europeans) do to make it not happen?

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Convincing argument. Yes, people underestimate the difficulty of swimming. I was once a competitive swimmer, until the age of about 22. I tried to swim 200 yards the other day and it took just about all the energy I had.

I see your point as this being just another trivial story. I don't think it's fair to make a mockery of the situation though. It's an atrocious crime. There is already enough religious discontent in Europe, I think it will only encourage the public to keep migrants/immigrants out of the countries they indent on traveling to. While I sympathize with the Libyans, it cannot be expected that all the countries open their doors and let everyone flock in. This is just more reason for people to say "no" to foreigners.

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So you mean to tell me that if Christians were throwing people overboard steveknight wouldn't have made a thread telling us how bad Christians are? :rolleyes:

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

To the Christian victims, it must have been hopeless and awful. They were, of course, living and breathing people.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ah, I did not realize that this thread was about steve knight (who, yes, can get a little strident at times). My mistake.

I certainly would not have wanted to be one among those. It was a very, very bad thing. The persons who did it were evil and hopefully they will be punished. Now, then, what should we and/or Europe do to address whatever the real issue is? I mean, so that this kind of thing stops happening.

23. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think this thread has all the right to be here, just as it's always fun when "Christian" pigs* are treating others bad because of their own misanthropic ideology. It all seems pretty fair to me.

*To avoid any (of course non-provoked :) ) misunderstandings: I'd never dare to say that all "Christians" are pigs. Only referring to those cases where it really applies :) .

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He has quite the crusade against Christians going on doesn't he?

25. Happybunny, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'm not going to post anything about the first part of this tragic event. The Italian police have arrested a number of the boats occupants.

As to the second part.
    One of the main reasons that Europe is handling this very badly, is when the original treaty was drawn up, member states were responsible for their own boarders/sea coasts.

Now Europe is trying to put in place a plan in the middle of a crisis, but this needs all 28 countries to agree, it’s also being done at a time of server economic crisis.

Because there is no Federal Authority to take charge, and all members have a veto right, decision making is taking a very long time. Another point is that some members states are hardly affected at all by this crisis, they have to convince their own population first.

Even the members that do agree to act on the humanitarian crisis cannot agree, on what is the best policy.

Added to all of this there is a hardening of hearts across Europe against all refugees, this weekend the government of the Netherlands is in crisis talks, because of plans to help illegal refugees has split the government parties.

IMO this shows that we need a true Federal System in the EU, every member acting alone and only complying if all 28 members agree is a nightmare.

Please remember.
    [​IMG]