Must see sights in Belgium and Holland?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kfordham281, May 25, 2008.

1. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

My wife, a few friends, and I (4 total) are headed to Belgium and Holland in a few weeks. Is there anything we shouldn't miss seeing while we are there?

2. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Depends. What are you interested in? Cities? Nature? Architecture? just 'the sights/tourist attractions'.

3. AlexIngram macrumors newbie

I just recently got back from Holland, and I must say its a pretty awesome place.

Utrecht is a really nice city, and the Dom Tour there is a great sight. Its basically a church spire and it has a great view from the top.

And, of course, Amsterdam is an amazing city (no matter what you want to do). I thought I would only be spending a day there but actually ended up staying there for a few days, the atmosphere there is... unique :D

Holland is a really cool place, and make sure you get some pickled herring!

4. Busy Bee macrumors Demi-God

Holland

The Kröller-Müller Museum: Right in the middle of a national park, with amazing outdoor modern sculpture gardens and free bikes. About 90 mins by train from Amsterdam, easily done in a day trip. One of the coolest places I've ever been in my life.

Pics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kröller-Müller_Museum

http://www.kmm.nl/?lang=en

Belgium

Brugge (Bruges): The 'Venice of the North'. Beautiful medieval city.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruges

Ardennes: Stunning landscape, lots of castles. And one of the largest caves in Europe with a fab and slightly spooky tour.

Grottes de Han-sur-Lesse

:)

5. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Antwerpen zoo in Antwerp (Funny that :rolleyes:) was cool, it's literally right in the centre of the town which is odd.

If you watch 'In Brugge' with colin Farrell then you're know all about Brugge. It's a beautiful medieval town, a tad boring but otherwise nice. (Go to the chocolate museum if you're into chocolate!)

Holland is a really interesting place, the buildings are really quite amazing just driving through the country, like they don't want their house to be the same as next doors...

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The Netherlands: Clogs, windmills, canals, hookers, and cheese.
    Belgium: Beer, chocolate, fried foods, lace, and Flemish mercenaries.

7. kfordham281 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cities, nature, tourist stuff.

Thanks for the ideas so far everyone! We had already planned on a few of those ideas mentioned but some were new. Keep the ideas coming if you have more. Those caves look pretty cool!

We've got a few nights in Brussels, Brugge, Amsterdam, Liege, and Dinant.

Any good brewery tours or bars you can recommend?

8. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Brewery:micro brewery 't IJ fortunately Heineken is closed until the summer. In belgium you can find more (interesting) breweries.

The larger museums:

Museum: Mauritshuis, the Hague, Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem, Panorama Mesdag, the Hague.
    If you visit the Hague, so can combine it with a trip to the dunes and beach. Oh forgot the Escher Museum

Rotterdam: modern buildings & architecture, Large harbour to visit and a nice museum Boijmans

Utrecht: the Rietveld Schroder house.

Others: Museum overview

Castle: Muiderslot, wikepedia

I totally agree with busybee, if you have the time you should visit The Kröller-Müller Museum. Ride a bike, great sculpture garden and lots of van Gogh paintings.

Architecture: dudok in Hilversum

If you want more, please let me know....

9. Bradleygray macrumors newbie

hi kford, Belgium, a country of diverse regions, is comprised of Flanders, Wallonia, and the Capital region of Brussels.Bruges is one of the leading cities of Belgium known as the "Venice of the North", Bruges makes for one of the best places to visit in Belgium. Bruges is also the best preserved medieval city in Europe and is home to a wealth of museums consisting of the country's best art collections.Brussels offers a fine mix of grand architectural splendors and modern skyscrapers.Antwerp is also Europe's second largest port and the city also has the largest diamond industry in the world.These are a good one to view.And since, there is a group(wife and kids) going there you have to keep a few precautions like making hotel arrangements prior to the visit there so you don't have to shell out more in the extra minute or be fixed to take a place that you don't want.:)

And. sorry but no cues on Holland that might interest you.
    Happy Journey, Mate.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As its not been bought up so far coffee shops in holland

11. Gondry macrumors member

in Brussels mini Europe and the atomium are quite kitsch attractions to go and see. And you can also go to the rotten core of the EUSSRs democracy denying institutions around the Schumann roundabout.

Ask them where our referendum is?

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I suggest this only because 'In Bruges' was that good.

13. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

14. Tellegrand macrumors newbie

My husband and I were very fortunate to spend a couple of days in Holland several years ago... The Anne Frank house was very interesting. If you like art... they have some of the most interesting museums. Many people don't realize but most places have a "free" day each month. With a bit of searching on the internet you get into many places free. We were able to get into museums in Europe like the Louvre and Picasso museum (can't remember specifically about ones in Holland but I know there were some).