Must the free Lion d/l for new macs be installed within 30 days?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrzeigler, Jul 10, 2011.

1. mrzeigler macrumors regular

I just ordered an iMac and was told this about the free lion upgrade: that I'd have 30 days from the date of purchase to download AND install Lion for free.

I didn't press the Apple Store woman on the phone about the "and" part of that sentence, and now I'm thinking I should have because I have a question:

Presuming Lion will be released within the next 30 days, let's say it turns out that the OS has bugs that make me not want to switch immediately —*would there be any problem to downloading Lion in that 30-day window but not actually installing it until the bugs are addressed to my satisfaction, even if takes longer than 30 days for me to feel comfortable with switching from Snow Leopard?

Realistically, $30 wouldn't break me if the release were so problematic (yes, I realize that even most critics of the Lion GM have remarked that it's pretty damn stable) that I decided to wait months and had to pay for the upgrade, but I'm just wondering.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would assume that you could burn the ISO image to a disk for future installation.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

"Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request."It does not say you have it install it.

4. mrzeigler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. The woman I talked to — had to order by phone to get the education discount on Adobe Creative Suite — said download and install.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

The request is the one has to be done within 30days, not the download. Once AppStore give u permission and access to download an app, or even Lion upgrade, the download is yours. You dont download it, even a year after .. That's up to you, but the download is still accessible, as long as it's sold on AppStore of course