Mute silence all

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanogirl21, Feb 8, 2012.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Hi everyone. I've noticed that flicking the little 'vibrate mode' or 'silence mode' switch on the side of the phone will make the ringer vibrate and turn all the way down to mute incoming calls. I've found that some stuff can still make noise, like game applications even when in this mode. To me, that kind of defeats the purposes of having the phone on silence/vibrate. Is there a way to mute everything on the device? Is there an app that can do that? I have tried the Auto Silence app but that does not do the trick even if I manually turn down the volume. I know that this can be done on the iPad but what about the iPhone? There has been many posts about this in the past but none of them really answered the question. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?

ps. I am jail broken with a 4s.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Just going to have to turn down the volume on individual applications I think.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Yeah this is a weird grey area. A lot of people hate it a lot like it. I hated it at first but learn to like it. I can set the phone to vibrate but the alarm clock or sleep cycle still sound.

I avoid playing games at places I shouldn't be but if I do I just turn down the volume real quick.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The mute switch is designed to stop unintended noises that are out of your control like texts and calls and emails.

The phone's designers assumed that if you do something like play a song or start a game it's an intentional choice you've made because you want to hear a song or play a game.

The switch is there to protect you from the outside world, not to protect you from yourself.

And I think that's the right choice. I often want to listen to music but not have email sounds coming through. I'm glad there's an easy way to do that. You'll just have to turn down the volume in the game you're playing to get what you want.

An extra step for you? Sure, but it only takes a second. And this way we can both get what we want. If the switch silenced everything then only you would be happy, and I'd be out of luck. The current system at least gives us both the ability to get what we want.

5. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Actual I see the solution is integrating the same volume controls as the iPad. You have the option to mute all (including applications) or only mute ringers/email/messages. I have found that if the phone is muted and I try to “turn down” an application, it is impossible because the volume controls are already “down”. If there was an extra step to mute all, that is fine. However, it is not. If there is a way to do so, I have not figured it out.

6. mattraehl macrumors 6502

The mute switch behavior is like this. When on, don't make any unrequested sounds (notifications, calls, texts, etc) except for alarms. A requested sound is supposed to be when you play a song or a video, or some other action where one of the primary expected effects is to make sound. I don't think games should fall in this category unless the game is somehow centered around the use of sound or can't be played properly without sound. All the games I own do not make any sound when the mute switch is on.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

I believe what you are looking for is already there. With the phone muted double tap the home button to bring up the multi tasking tray. Then swipe twice to get to the left to adjust the volume.
    If you have a 4S then I believe Siri and voice dictation use a separate volume control. I think you can control that with the volume buttons while Siri is open.

8. HeezyBear macrumors regular

What's an example of a third party app that still has sound when the phone is on vibrate?

9. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

A few that I use frequently are Words with Friends, Jenga, Angry Birds, Temple Run, and Mahjong.

Words with Friends, Jenga and Mahjong no not have a menu option to turn off sounds. Angry Birds does have an menu option, however, when the phone is muted/vibrate it still activates.

10. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I just tested this with Temple Run (since that's the only app I have out of the ones listed) and I cannot produce the scenario of sound playing when the phone is on vibrate. I opened the app, both music and sound volume up, and then turned the sound in the app all the way up with the volume buttons on the phone.