Muted colors on second monitor. Please assist.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoodtobetheKing, May 27, 2015.

1. GoodtobetheKing, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

GoodtobetheKing macrumors member

I just recently bought the 27" ASUS MX279H and I was really excited for it until I tried to calibrate it. I'm using it as a second monitor and the colors and brightness (which are at max BTW) seem really dull and washed out in comparison to my iMac.

I spent two hours trying to calibrate it and eventually downloaded the ICC profile for it but it didn't help any. I've tried bumping up the contrast so that it would increase the picture quality or make the colors more vivid but it just flushes everything else out. Brightness is already at full.

I'm wondering if the monitor is faulty or defective? My TV from way back in 2008 has a better picture than this. So I'm not sure what to do here. Has anyone else ran into this kind of problem? Thanks!

2. bobbie424242 macrumors member

I suppose you had it hooked via HDMI. In that case, OSX will consider it a TV and will not use RGB colorspace, giving washed out colors.
    There's a shell script out there that generates a proper monitor definition file for using RGB. You might want to Google it.

3. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

So should I use DVI instead?

4. carmona macrumors newbie

If you really want to match your screens, you should calibrate with a colorimeter like a Spyder. How are you calibrating exactly?

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Try this first, worked for me. HDMI is stupid.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I never knew this, thanks!