Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
When I have multiple mail notifications (from the stock Mail app) stacked on my lock screen and tap on them, I’m always asked to use Touch ID to see them. The result being the all mails are shown in their entirety. I have previews turned off so I thought tapping on the stack of notifications would just splay out who all the mails are from, and not require a password to read them all. Am I missing something or is this the correct behavior?

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
When I have multiple mail notifications (from the stock Mail app) stacked on my lock screen and tap on them, I’m always asked to use Touch ID to see them. The result being the all mails are shown in their entirety. I have previews turned off so I thought tapping on the stack of notifications would just splay out who all the mails are from, and not require a password to read them all. Am I missing something or is this the correct behavior?
Tap Touch ID before you tap on the multiple notifications.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Not if you only put your finger on it without making a click out of it.

If I tilt my phone to see the notifications then put my finger on the button the phone unlocks regardless of whether I click or not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If I tilt my phone to see the notifications then put my finger on the button the phone unlocks regardless of whether I click or not.
Might be related to Settings > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open setting?

DomC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Still doesn’t work for me regardless of the Home Button setting. Touch ID is always asked for and results in the full emails being shown.
I guess I’ll just turn off grouping for Mail if I only want to see who the senders are.
Seems sort of goofy to me. Great optimization.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I believe this is because you’ve set mail notification to only show preview when unlocked. This is how it works unfortunately.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Anyone find it kinda weird that, in iOS 12 (and maybe even iOS 11 - not sure), the default Mail app notification settings are “no sound, no vibration, and only appearing as a banner once the phone is unlocked - no Mail notifications on the lock screen or Notification Center.”

Odd.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I believe this is because you’ve set mail notification to only show preview when unlocked. This is how it works unfortunately.

Seems like the answer. Too bad since unstacking a bunch of emails to see just the senders would be a lot faster than waiting for multiple emails to open as previews.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Seems like the answer. Too bad since unstacking a bunch of emails to see just the senders would be a lot faster than waiting for multiple emails to open as previews.
Yeah, I guess the logic is there’s no need to see them all if you don’t have previews enabled but this neglects the fact that you can still see the sender so there would still be some value in expanding the stack.

Btw it wasn’t quite clear to me from your earlier posts whether you managed to see the previews and expand the stack on your lock screen by resting your finger as long as you had that setting C DM mentioned disabled. Did you at least get that working? You should be able to. No need to leave lock screen.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
In i0S 11 with previews turned off, if I wanted to see the contents of an email I would swipe, choose View, then I was asked to use Touch ID. That made sense for security as I chose not to see previews.

I think in this new scenario the action of tapping the stack it's the same as what I was doing before since I have previews turned off. So for security, no matter how i have the Home button setup (rest or no rest) for me to see previews (in this case revealing the stack whether I want to or not) Touch ID is required.

I sent feedback to say if I have previews turned off, tapping the stack should just reveal the notifications with only the sender and not require Touch ID.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still doesn’t work for me regardless of the Home Button setting. Touch ID is always asked for and results in the full emails being shown.
I guess I’ll just turn off grouping for Mail if I only want to see who the senders are.
Seems sort of goofy to me. Great optimization.
I haven't tried it out with Mail notifications, but I disabled previews when locked and now when I'm on the lock screen I can view the notifications if I simply place my finger on the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.