Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will kick off the 2008 Macworld San Francisco on January 15th 2008 with a keynote speech from Steve Jobs. News sites across the web will cover every announcement in detail, while Apple's site will be updated with any new products announced.

The keynote takes places on January 15th, 2008 at 9AM Pacific time and will be covered live at MacRumorsLive.com

Some readers prefer watching the keynote themselves without knowing the outcome. Unfortunately, there is no live video feed for the keynote. Instead, Apple posts a recorded Quicktime stream (usually) a few hours after the keynote completes.

For those individuals, we've posted this news story which will be updated with the link to the MWSF 2008 Keynote speech once it becomes available from Apple. No other news stories or announcements will be displayed alongside this story.

You can also subscribe to our notification list which will send out an email when the keynote is posted online. The mailing list will only be used for notifications for these spoiler free announcements and you may unsubscribe at any time.

Notify me of Keynote Stream function CheckMultiple5(frm, name) { for (var i=0; i < frm.length; i++) { fldObj = frm.elements; fldId = fldObj.id; if (fldId) { var fieldnamecheck=fldObj.id.indexOf(name); if (fieldnamecheck != -1) { if (fldObj.checked) { return true; } } } } return false; } function CheckForm5(f) { if (f.email.value == "") { alert("Please enter your email address."); f.email.focus(); return false; } return true; };
Apple can take several hours to post the feed. The mailing list can also take up to an hour to send out all the emails. Be patient.

[Update] Apple has posted the Keynote Stream to their streaming servers, although it is not yet available via apple.com itself. Copy and paste the following URL into the "Open URL..." option within Quicktime Player:

rtsp://a2047.v1412b.c1412.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1412/1_h264_350/1a1a1ae555c531960166df4dbc3095c327960d7be756b71b49aa1576e344addb3ead1a497aaedf11/972345688g_1_350.mov

Article Link: MWSF 2008 'Spoiler Free' Keynote Stream [Updated]

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
As I recall, it took a lot longer than a few hours last time, didn't it?

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
As I recall, it took a lot longer than a few hours last time, didn't it?

It did, unfortunately. :(

I'm sure that Apple won't be incredibly timely this time either, but, hey, I'm willing to wait.

magicbumone

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
Oregon
Macworld 08 on iTunes

Yea, Apple if your watching put the Macworld broadcast on itunes right after and I will buy it. I would pay even more if Apple would do live streaming video for extra. Sale it for $7.99 I do that every year.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Apple had a direct download link of the September special music event in addition to the usual Quicktime stream. Apparently, this was made for iPhone users. Since I'm unable to watch Quicktime streams using my incredibly unreliable internet connection, I was very glad to find that link.

I wonder if Apple would do the same this time. If someone could post a similar link to the event on Tuesday, that would be appreciated. :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i posted this in the "Macworld Expo 2008 Keynote Live Coverage: Web, SMS, iPhone" thread and got no reply. hopefully someone can answer me here as this thread is more fitting:

i will wake January 16th to watch the streaming video. last year for WWDC 07 i bookmarked the spoiler free page and then woke up to watch the video stream macrumors provided but it was very "choppy" as i assume a lot of people where watching it around the world. i put up with it and just watched the choppy video and listened to the audio.

after it finished i went to the apple quicktime events page as i knew the outcome and i clicked on the video stream provided by Apple and it played perfectly fine! this was about an hour after i watch the quicktime stream provided by macrumors.

did macrumors provide an alternative URL link? is that why it was choppy compared to the link provided on the quicktime events page? will it be possible if this year macrumors can provide the same quicktime stream URL that Apple provided?

and must i say thank you very much macrumors for the keynote coverage. this is IMHHO the best coverage by any blog/forum on the web.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
The original resolution that they gave us last year was pathetic. It was a tiny square until they updated it to regular size a couple hours later.

reformist

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Thank you for posting this! It's a great service. Watching Jobs deliver the goods is a once in a year event, and I hate spoiling it with text feeds.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Since my school locked most of their wireless connections, I might just watch the stream when i get home this year.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If someone has a good link that beats the email, post it here.

Most likely this will be the link to the page for streaming. Just one warning though, last year Apple had some spoilers about the iPhone on there, so e careful with that link.

Also on a slightly different topic, does anyone know of a way to set up maybe some sort of automator script or something to start downloading the video and saving it to my computer as soon as it is posted? so i don't have to wait for all of the initial slow streaming.

zevot

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
so what does several hours mean?
2-4? Or 4-6? Cuz I m in the uk n i dun want to watch it very late
anyone here also from the UK has any past experience?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
We'll see what happens. I tried this last time it was a loooooong wait and when I was finally 5 minutes into it my dad wandered in and told me everything anyway :p

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Wow

I don't think I've ever found out about a new apple product by watching the keynote.

Is it possible to hold out that long without clicking on apple's site???

I'd love to do it but though the mind is willing, the flesh is weak. or in this case.. the mind is weak.. hmm i guess i suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.