My ƒ key is binded to the option key I think

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iampat, Dec 16, 2008.

1. iampat macrumors newbie

I'm talking about the 'ƒ' key as in the key between d and g. It seems that whenever I press that key or the option key i get this character: ƒ

Iƒ i'm holding shiƒt it gives me this: Ï.

When I hold down the ƒ key and press other keys, I get a bunch oƒ*weird characters too such as ƒ˙∆˚˙¨ˆø©ø¨¥©∫˙∆˜µ∆˙˚¨¥©åß´∑ª•¶™£

It's really getting to be annoying and I have no idea how to ƒix it.

I tried reboot, resetting pram, resetting to deƒault keyboard... just about everything. Help!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that's how its suppose to be. its how you get the characters that arent on the keyboard in the first place

if you want the actual letters, just dont hold the option or option+shift key combo

3. iampat thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the point... i'm not holding down anything when i press the ƒ key and I still get that character.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh wierd

did you try unplugging the keyboard or using another keyboard? if it doesnt happen on another keyboard, it may be an issue with the original one. if it persists on the other keyboard, its a software issue most likely

at least thats what id do initially to try and narrow the problem

5. iampat thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on a macbook so I can't unplug the keyboard, and I don't have any other USB keyboards to try out.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

That's really weird...have you try restarting the computer?

7. iampat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, like I said, i've tried restarting, resetting the pram, checked the system keybindings. I can't think oƒ anything.

Is there any way to reinstall the operating system ƒiles without removing all my apps and preƒerances and what not?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you have a time machine backup

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You can do an Archive & Install and check the option to preserve your Home folder. That'll clear up the system. Have you tried creating a new user account though? That's the first thing to try.

I sounds like your Option key might be stuck or the circuitry is damaged. Maybe need to have Apple fix it if it's not a software problem.

10. firdousamir macrumors newbie

Same*problem*here.*For*me*it's*"h"*key.*I*get*˙*when*I*type*in*small*letter*and*getting*Ó*when*I*type*in*CAPS
    Created*another*account*and*tried.*Same*problem
    Booted*in*Safe*Mode*and*tried,*same*problem.

I*type*"?",*It*mutes*the*sound*and*back*!*:)

Does*anybody*know*what's*wrong?*when*I*hold*any*other*letter*key*and*type*"h",*I'm*getting*the*character*properly.

F

Macbook*2.4*white*|*OS*X*10.5.6