My 13 Month Old Son Wiped My Wife's Phone... How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lordofthereef, Jan 6, 2015.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Hey folks,
    So here is a stumper (for me anyway). Wife was letting our 13 month old son play with her iPhone 6. It was locked, password and fingerprint protected. He was activating siri here and there, but we just let it go.

All of the sudden we have the white screen with black apple. Stayed there about 5 minutes and thenwas on the "hello" screen. Had to set it up as if it was a newly wiped iPhone.

So... is there an option straight in the lock screen to wipe the device?

2. Nand macrumors regular

Nand

Do you have the "erase all data on this iPhone after 10 failed passcode attempts" enable??

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the option to erase data after 10 failed attempts was turned on, that's probably what happened.

4. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My wife didn't think so. Isn't that something she would have to manually enable? Not a default setting, is it?

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

It's not default. But, maybe in playing around when new it was set and she forgot to turn it off.

6. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

It is not a default setting; has to enabled. I just restored my phone a few days ago and I had to enable it.

7. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Your baby son is a futuristic cyberhacking devestating war machine

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm also thinking 10 failed password wipe. You had a recent backup though right?

9. McWizard macrumors member

Your baby needs to be talking with the people from mit

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, that's the only possibility, unless of course his son is a hack3r. :)

11. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Lol.

I have backups. We have all our devices set to backup when plugged in each night. So that wasn't an issue. It's backing up now. I'll have to check the settings.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks like your wife enabled erase data when she entered her fingerprint and forgot about it. I don't have this enabled as I have kids for this reason.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Where can I locate this to disable mine? I'm searching for it under:
    Settings > General > Reset

14. NewToMac11 macrumors member

settings> Touch Id & passcode and then scroll all way to bottom.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks!

16. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

i love it !!!

17. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

13 months old? One, your kid is one.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

I wish the iPhones had the feature Blackberry devices have. 10 times before erase, but it asks you after a few failed unlock attempts to enter e.g. 7936 on purpose to make sure it's an intended unlock attempt.

This is a really smart way to get around kids accidentally erasing your device, and I'm amazed Apple hasn't implemented it.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

20. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

My 13 Month Old Son Wiped My Wife's Phone... How?

+ 1 billion Internet posts for pointing out he is one year old. It's a pet peeve of mine when people refer to a babies or toddlers age in months once they hit 1 year old. It's pointless. Also, why the heck would you let a 1 year old play with a brand new and expensive iphone 6? No way would I do that.

21. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah that's a pretty clever way to combat unintentional unlock attempts.

22. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You must not have a child lol.

You tend to label them by months for a good while simply because of how fast they are learning and picking things up. We record all of his first, and there are a lot of them. The difference between a 12 and a 13 month old is much larger than a person celebrating their 18th birthday and that same person a month later.

I was the same way, by the way, before I was a parent. A lot of things I never understood until I had my own child. You are free to continue calling him a one year old though. I have no problem with that. :)

----------

I answered why I label him as 13 months. Years, months, weeks, etc are just arbitrary ways of measuring time. As I said, time moves a little faster for wee ones. The fact that it bothers people to this extent is astounding. Also, and this may shock you, medical records are all in weeks and months. You tend to go to the doctor a LOT before they hit two (I tried really hard just for you to not say 24 months).

Anyway, it's just a phone. In a case. With a screen protector. On carpet. He can't do any damage. And if he could, insurance. ;)

One thing I have learned reading through threads though, is that if you ever mention kids, you always get awesome parenting advice from people who probably don't have kids. And even if they do, you never asked for it in the first place. :p

----------

This is what the answer was. I wa surprised because she never did this before. New phone and, well, guess she just clicked "yes" to everything during setup lol.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Both my wife and myself have iPhone 6's and my wife lets our 15 month old daughter play with hers without a care in the world. I have the more sensible approach and point blank refuse to which I get moaned at. I have already given her my old iPad 3 loaded with Fisher Price apps etc, but the little angel's eyes light up when she see's a phone lol. Even with my safe approach I seem to accidentally let it slip at times and recently found her throwing my iPhone down on our hall floor which is porcelain tiled. How the hell did she get hold of it? She probably has a Michael Jordan leap that I haven't caught yet.

I will have to mention this thread to my wife and get her to check her settings and I too will check mine. She quite often lets her play with the lock screen and swipe from side to side and press codes in. :)

24. FatPuppy, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015

FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Yeah, maybe you're right, I am only 19 so...

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Childrens ages in the first couple of years are referred to in months because it is also a measurement of how doctors and health visitors refer to key stages of development. As lordofthereef says there is a vast difference between a child that is 13 months old and one that is 20 months old even if in years they are the same age.

I would imagine by the time lordofthereef's son is 20 months old he will have an account here with a password his father can't crack! :p