My 13" Pro Is So Hot. Like Temperture. Not Sexy. Well It Is Sexy, But...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bschh, Aug 17, 2009.

?

IS IT SAFE TO PUT A MACBOOK IN A REFRIDGERATOR?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2009.
  1. YES!

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. NO!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. HOW SHOULD I KNOW?

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. bschh macrumors newbie

My Computer Is So Hot. I Am In Bed Right Now. Will It Explode Or Anything. Its Brand New. Im Scared. I INSTALLED THE ISTAT AND THE COMPUTER IS 79*F WILL IT DIE? OK should i plug it in or what? i think i might go put it in the refrigerator. ok the computer is now 85*. that has got to be hot. no fans are on. shoulld they be on?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Dont cover it with covers, google istat and download it, tell us the temps it says.

Love Omi

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Are You Covering Up The Fan Port? Get iSat And Tell Us Or Download SmcFanControl.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you're in bed and it's so, so hot that it can't take the heat anymore but you keep stroking the keyboard, yes it will explode and leave a mess everywhere. I wouldn't want to sleep in the exploded spot.:p

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

is there anything taking up a lot of CPU load? maybe Safari if watching flash videos or QuickTime PLayer if watching HD movies? open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and sort by CPU to check.

also as members above have said dont cover the vent which is at the back of the case underneath the hinge.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If the iStat says 79ºF, it's far from dead. Just let it relax a bit so it doesn't explode then start again.

I've had mine much, much hotter and I keep going and it's never exploded. It gets really hot, maybe gets loud too but keeps going as long as I want it to.

9. Conexionz macrumors newbie

My MBP's at 65 C and the fans running 2000 rpm's. Is that normal?

10. bschh thread starter macrumors newbie

mines at 2502 rpm

11. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They usually don't kick on until you're in the 70's ºC for a while. Not instantaneous but 5-10 seconds of 70's.

13. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

14. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Do not put a MacBook (or any laptop) in the refrigerator. The hot temps of the laptop and cold temp temps of the fridge will produce condensation in a blink of an eye which will eventually lead to liquid damage.

15. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Oh just so you know, everybody who voted yes (including my self) to the poll are joking.

-Omi

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Or just google istat and mbp temps. Then read those....problems solved. Use MRoogle, seriously.

17. FnuGk macrumors regular

18. FnuGk macrumors regular

very true and as we all know metal expand/decrease when the temperature is changed. When this happens slowly as when the computer is just turned off it is fine but if it happens fast i imagine it could damage the electronical parts in the machine.

in any case dont worry about it getting too hot if it eventually gets too hot (95c+) it will shut off by it self. Frying a cpu is VERY hard today. The only thing that could get hurt by the machine getting hot is the battery but this only happens if the computer is VERY hot (80c+) for longer periods of time. That recently happened to my old hp machine i accidently left idling on my bed with the vents covered while i went on holiday :/

so don't worry and DO NOT put your new machine in the fridge. If anything take a hair dryer and put it on cold mode and blow room tempered air over it (not directly in the vents as these could get miss placed)

19. trondah macrumors 6502

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR