My 16GB flash drive has lost most of it's storage space!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by k2spitfire88, Feb 8, 2010.

1. k2spitfire88 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB flash drive, which was working fine for months. It was formatted as FAT32 so I could move stuff back and forth between my tech school computer and my mac. I pulled the files off of it, and put an anti-malware program on it to troublshoot a netbook for class. The size of the drive is now shrinking, down currently to 43.5KB. I have no idea what may be causing it, or how to stop it. Please help!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you running the U3 software on it? It sounds like something is creating hidden files on the disk. The simplest thing might be to pull your files off it and then reformat it. Unless you mean that the physical capacity is being listed as 43.5kb? :eek:

3. k2spitfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

The U3 software is uninstalled. The physical size was shrinking. Thankfully, my instructor was able to find a program called U3 uninstaller to get rid of the issue. Even though the U3 was uninstalled before that, it worked. Weird...

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by this? At first blush, it sounds like you are not emptying the Trash. Why is this not the correct explanation for your troubles?

5. k2spitfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

There were no trash files, or any files of any sort on the flash drive. However, the physical size of the disk shrank from 16GB, to 6GB, to 2 GB, to 200MB, and so on. It was the weirdest thing, and I have no explanation for it. It's all fixed now thankfully, but it was quite odd.