My 17" Unibody MBP Battery Info (after Calibration)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 10, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Here is some detailed info on the battery of my new laptop..

When I first received it on Feb 19th:
    I didn't turn on the laptop. Instead I went straight to the bottom and upgraded the hard drive to a 500GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus. I then plugged the laptop to the charger while using the laptop and let it charge to 100%. The battery turned out to be 12760 mAh.

After using the battery on & off a few times by March 4th:
    Eventually after periodically using the battery on and off, two cycles completed. My battery turned out to have a capacity of 12819 mAh.

Calibrating the battery fully for the first time March 10th (today):
    I used the battery last nite from 8PM to start the 3rd cycle. I set the brightness 2 levels below maximum. I surfed the web, chatted, read this forum, created auctions for eBay, had multiple windows open, and used iWork '09, etc. The battery lasted till 1:30 AM. So the battery in this format lasted exactly 5 hours and 30 minutes under these settings. I was never away from the computer for more than 5 minutes during this entire time period, and was using it pretty much the entire time without giving it a rest. The laptop shut off into sleep mode since the battery drained.. and I left it uncharged overnite while I slept to make sure any leftover conserved juice in the battery was drained too. I woke this morning, six hours later, and fully charged the battery. After this calibration the battery capacity turned out to be 12831 mAh.

Over this entire period of ownership, the battery at full charge has been said to be at 100%, then ranging from 98 to 99%, and back to 100% now.

I hope this information helped current and potential MBP 17 unibody owners. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask here.

2. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update!

I just wanted to update that I drained the battery again to 37% today, then recharged it.

My capacity is now 12987 mAh. Over 200 mAh higher than when originally arrived.

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Mine is new and just charged up.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: DP-bq20z951-3a49-67e2
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: bq20z951
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0042
    Hardware Revision: 0001
    Cell Revision: 0119
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 12837
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 12837
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 0
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 8329

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    GPUSwitch: 2
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    GPUSwitch: 2
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

4. brave5213 macrumors regular

some of the forum members have got ~17000 mAh battery:confused:

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody from the US from what I understand. Also, who knows what can happen longterm to those extreme batteries.. won't last 5 years? might be more vulnerable to swell up? We really don't know. I have no complaints about that because I purchased thinking I will have 7-8 hours to use the battery on half brightness and its as advertised.

6. emotta macrumors member

7. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

nice! im working on it LOL

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

I've seen one forum member post a pic (which could be fake) but... I"ll reserve that until I see if any other batteries turn up 17k+. I find it hard to believe this huge a difference in batteries and the fact the one user on these forums saying he has a 17k battery says his co worker has one as well. If it's that common more people would be talking about it imo.

Time will tell if any show up or it's all just a spoof.

9. brave5213 macrumors regular

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Only had this one up and runniing for about a not even two weeks, so i havent had a chance outside of working to let it drain/cycle

Model Information:
    Serial Number: DP-bq20z951-3a7f-6ed8
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: bq20z951
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0042
    Hardware Revision: 0001
    Cell Revision: 0119
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 12565
    Fully charged: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 12748
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 0
    Condition: Good
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 8318

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Full charge capacity (mAh): 12739
    Cycle count: 5
    I wish I had the 17000 mAh battery if it exist. I dont thing it does a +-4000mAh range is just too large.

12. cabarry374 macrumors newbie

Maybe someone can answer this...

When I first got the Laptop, the battery life was never less than 7 hours at a full charge, even when I had my usual combination of Photoshop (Then CS4), Safari, and iTunes and had about 13800 mAh Full Charge Capacity. Without anything running, I could have the battery life be over 9 hours, once in a blue moon, 10 hours. Around the 150th Cycle it dropped sharply, all at once, and has not changed since to 12200ish mAh range and is never above 6 hours and is only there when on a full charge and not running anything beyond Finder, otherwise it is rarely above 4 and a half hours. Apple couldn't explain it and refused to replace the battery. Does anyone know what could be causing the lack of battery life? The drop in the mAh can't account for the amount of battery life lost, I've looked into it. Also, I've reset the battery a few times, and only made it worse. I don't seem to have anything running in the background that could be doing this (at most my background programs use 8% of my processor).

Battery Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 10701
    Fully charged: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 12180
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 303
    Condition: Normal
    Amperage (mA): -2461
    Voltage (mV): 7977