My 18m old daughter loves the iPhone. What about your kids?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by odklizec, Jun 27, 2010.

1. odklizec macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Just to lighten the iPhone discussion up a bit, I want to tell and show you how my (nearly 18 months old) daughter Lucia loves to play with the iPhone ;)

She plays with the iPhone since 10 months and she already learned a lot thanks to it and thanks to some wonderful apps at the appstore. Lucia can already unlock it, view the photos or videos and start and play her favorite games. It's wonderful education toy for kids of her age. I'm constantly amazed by the speed she learns new tricks. When the money allows and she will be a little bit older to not break it by accident, I will definitely buy her an iPad.

I'm also learning how to make iPhone games. I know there are many wonderful games/apps at the appstore but only very little number of them is localized and many of the games are probably written by the folks who don't have kids yet.

The main issue I (Lucia) have with the iPhone is the impossibility to disable the Home button while the application is running. The large rounded Home button is just too nice to not be pushed in a very frequent manner ;) And because developers are not allowed to catch and process the Home button event, Lucia often terminates the apps, which makes her unhappy. Not to mention she can access the rest of the iPhone apps. It would be great if Apple (S.J.) would add some new parental restrictions.

It would be really nice to have something like "toddler mode". Just to allow baby to play with selected number of apps and hide everything else like contacts, emails, daddy's apps and for example disable the Delete operation. Lucia likes to preview the photos, but from time to time she deletes this or that photo. The trash icon is so easy to press and the red confirmation button is just finger-catching ;)

And what's your experience with the iPhone and very young kids? Don't hesitate to show us your photos and tell the funny story you have with your kids and the iPhone!

Attached Files:

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Very cute! My daughters are 4 and 6 now but have been iPhone users since the 2G. They love the books and my youngest is now a Facetime addict.

3. bpickens macrumors newbie

The education apps have been great for my four year old. We got her a iPod touch after she showed interest in our iPhones. I was hesitant at first but she takes great care of it.

Those pictures of your daughter are priceless.

4. jyj macrumors member

oh she's sweet! and it's great to hear that she's getting such great use out of your phone.

5. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

So cute! My kids are 3 years and 18 months and they both ADORE my iPhone! I was letting my 3-year-old play with my old 3GS after my i4 came, and he started proclaiming it "Maffew's phone!" (I had to break the bad news to him that, no, it wasn't his phone now!)

Here he is, very intent on one of his puzzles. (Please ignore smudged TV and trains scattered all over the floor!)

[​IMG]

Totally agree with you about the home button, btw! The 3-year-old is pretty good about leaving it alone now, but the baby still loves to push it all the time!

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

My kids love my iPhone, all 4 and under. They love my iPad more though. Call it a big iPhone.

7. DWS3 macrumors newbie

Yep, my 3 year old boy loves watching iphone videos and looking at pictures on my 3GS. Now that we have an iPad, he is also in love with the games we downloaded just for him. "Wheels on the Bus" is a particularly popular app, as is one that lets him pop bubble wrap.:D

8. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

My 3 year old daughter loves the iPhone and really loves our iPad she has played with the iPhone since the 2g model. And she is also addicted to FaceTime I can barely talk to my brother when she is around.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

My 10 month old isn't allowed to use the iPhone until he stops trying to put it in his mouth...

10. Focker macrumors member

Both of my boys, ages 4 & 2, love the iPhone. I swear half the apps on our both mine & my wifes iPhones are for them. My 4yr old pretty claims the ipod touch is his now. LOL

11. paulisme macrumors 6502

What is your daughter's opinion on the current antenna problems and Steve Jobs' response to it? Without expressing that opinion, one cannot enjoy the iPhone. Or so one would think by reading this forum.

12. i-Engineer macrumors member

My son using the iphone since he was 18 months. So, I decided to buy him an ipod tough. He is now 30 months old and know how to fully function the ipod. He also learns a lot of orders using some children apps (listen and say). He also knows all of the ABC's in capital and small forms, and he know how to count numbers. All of that because of the iphone

13. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

Our 11 months old twins are not allowed to handle or be near any electronics much less our iPhones. That would be instant disaster lol.

Every thing gets either dropped or eaten, take your pick. ;)

14. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I gave my old 3G to my Dad when I got my 3Gs.

He now has a iPhone 4 so he's given the 3G to his Wife ( my step mum ).

My half brother Josh loves the games on it and has his own little folder so I am told :p

15. taran420 macrumors 6502a

your 18 month old daughter is too cute
    I dont have kids but my 5 year old niece is always playing with my phone when she gets a chance. Her fav game is bounce on and fav activity is going to youtube and searching dora the explorer episodes lol

16. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

The iPhone looks like an iPad in here hand haha. I would buy your baby a separate iPod touch so you can protect your photos haha. And for the home button issues, won't she learn soon enough not to press it?

17. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

Reading the responses is hilarious. From what I can gather here kids either want to eat it or play with it. Clearly steve made the iPhone too appetizing.

18. interceptor47 macrumors member

I let my 6yo daughter use my 3G to listen to music and look at pictures. She keeps showing me all the different features of it too as she navigates through it.

19. SpankWare macrumors regular

In for three!

9yr old has a touch already

7yr old impatiently waiting for me to reset wife's old iPhone to give to her

3yr old is always on somebody's iPhone.

20. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

21. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

My twin boys are 2 months old, and I've decided that our phones will be off limits when they are old enough to have interest (and drop/put in mouth/etc). Some iPod touches might be in order though, there are a lot of great apps for kids!

22. odklizec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your compliments, comments and nice stories! It seems all kids love the iPhone/iPod/iPad. Younger want to eat it, older want to steal it from us ;)

paulisme:
    Here is exactly what Lucia says about the iPhone4 antenna problem:
    "mama, tata, mobi...baaaaa!"
    Translation:
    "mom, dad, there is something wrong with the iPhone4 and everyone gets mad about it!"
    :D

Dsr1205
    Actually, I'm considering purchasing her an older 2nd gen iPod. This should do the trick for some time. But it would still be nice to have an option to configure the Home button behavior. Lucia already knows what the Home button does. But she still likes to press it in a rapid succession ;)

spyda
    Believe me, I would gladly let her to play with the iPhone4, if I would own one ;) Sadly, it's not yet available in my country. And even if it would be available, it would be god damn expensive. Maybe later, when the initial madness will drop a bit and I will find a good deal on ebay?