My 1st iphone: 4 or 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruleke, Dec 11, 2011.

1. bruleke, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Few things to consider:

1. I bought, a few days ago, a Canon S95 to take everywhere. Yup, I did it and lost in the taxi in the less than 10 days :(

2. I hate having to take my (1) nokia phone, (2) garmin gps, (3) Canon S95 (well, I dont have it anymore) and (4) iPod touch for apps.

3. I have never had an iPhone before but I have an ipod touch 4G. Seriously, it hangs a little bit and makes me nervous!

4. The difference between the prices in my country: 300 dollars from iphone 4 to iphone 4S. (remember: it will be my first iPhone).

5. I understand that Apple fans (like me :p) might say to me to get 4S. Well, of course I would like to take it. I have the money to buy it, but does it worth the +300 dollars?

6. Why do I want an iPhone?
    a. having a camera all the time - so, does 5mp in iphone 4 will make a good work? (of course 4S will)
    b. having a GPS all the time - does iphone have a good gps?
    c. surf the web without needing Wi-fi

7. I have to buy unlocked phone (contract phone is not an option)

Thats it! Hope you can help me!
    Sorry the ammount of questions :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go for the 4S, especially if you want to use it as your replacement point and shoot camera.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Go for the 4S. Do you want to buy over 1 year old technology? It will future proof it slightly longer.

4. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

if i was you i go iphone 4 because iphone 4 now is FREE with 2 year contract
    iphone 4s is cost 199 with 2 years

iphone 4 is same like iphone 4s
    everything the same , accept speed

wifi= faster little bit iphone 4s
    camera=8.0 better little bit
    achip 5 = open apps loading faster little bit

but why we need all is stuff then , iphone 4 is ok enough to play ....

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not everywhere.

Not exactly. The camera is leaps and bounds better, which is important to the OP.

6. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Contract phone is not an option here :(
    Only unlocked one! :(

----------

Yes, you got it.
    I need a portable camera to take it everywhere.
    But, pay attention: I am not saying that I already know the answer ('buy iPhone 4S'). I have never had an iPhone before, so I dont know if the iphone 4 will make a good job.

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

The iPhone 4's camera is good but the iPhone 4S's camera is great, in my opinion. I, too, would say get the 4S. You wrote you have the money so why not get the best? And yes, in my opinion, it's worth the extra money.

8. Furifo macrumors 6502

I would say it would be better to buy a 4S and keep it for 2 years rather than buying a 4 and feeling a bit disheartened after 1 year and wanting a newer phone.

I always thought the camera on the 4 was awesome, especially on a phone but my room mates 4S camera destroys the camera on my 4. IMO, there is a BIG difference between the 2 cameras and so if you are going to be using the camera alot on your phone, I'd say get the latest and greatest.

Spend the extra, buy the 4S, don't give in to buyer's remorse, take fantastic pictures and most of all, enjoy your iPhone :)

9. sth macrumors 6502a

Get a 4S:
    - Better phone (two antenna design)
    - Better geolocation (GLONASS support)
    - Better camera (it's not an S95 but very usable)
    - Better for apps and especially 3D games/apps

An iPhone4 will also do everything you need (even a 3GS would), but the 4S not only does things better and fixes some of the shortcomings of the 4, it will only be a bit more futureproof.

10. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Also if you say your 4th gen iPod touch is getting a bit slow somehow. It has the same internals as the iPhone 4. So I'd get the 4S

11. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I will say the 4s sure it comes more but when you decided to upgrade you will get good money for it ,i had a 4 and I wasn't sure for the 4s at first but man I'm happy that I got a 4S specially for pictures and games

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Go with the 4

Siri is a gimmick, you most likely won't notice the difference of A5.

Only if you truly miss your canon camera, then get 4S for the 8MP camera, otherwise stick with the 4.

13. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Get your facts straight, man!! it's 3GS that came free with 2 years contract (well it's $0.99 now). iPhone 4 still worth $99 under contract. Either way it only happens in some country, many countries don't even have good contract system for iPhone, especially countries with prepaid phone system. Do you happens to live in one of those?

And, No!iPhone 4 is not the same with 4S, if OP doesn't have an iPhone already, I'd go with 4S in a blink of an eye, even if I have to buy it unlocked. Just because you already have iPhone 4 doesn't mean 4S is not worthy upgrade.

Just don't listen to this iphone4s16gb, ever! This dude doesn't even have 4S yet! Get 4S first or get another Macrumors ID, or even better learn to type better and research some basic facts first.

Go 4S or go home .. it's supposed to be a device that replace most of your things anyway, so why settle for less? I came from iPod Touch 4G too, and to be honest man, iPhone 4 is not much better from iPod Touch 4G, the speed is just damn similar. But 4S is totally different story.

15. ET iPhone Home, Dec 11, 2011

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

From your post, it looks like the 4S would solve your having to carry around all those gadgets. But as far as photo taking, I'm not sure if the 4S can compare with the Canon S95. Even though, the 4S is an 8MP Camera, the lens itself may be different. I had considered an S95. I was told that was the best all around point and shoot in that category, because it was the only camera, among the choices I mentioned, that had an F2 lens. The majority of point and shoots have F4. I'm not too sure what lens the 4S has.

So, if taking pictures is more of a priority since you have a need to always carry one around. I would get the 4 and use the extra $300 to get another S95. The 4 will take care of your iPod, GPS, and Web. I know those S95 cost about $400-$450 here in the U.S.

If money is no object, get the 4S and the S95.

16. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Goood, thanks for that! I'm already in contact with a friend to buy the 4S today :) 16gb version (no need for music or video here).

----------

Hi! S95 costs about 600 dollars here where I live :(
    Even if I import from USA, I will pay loads of taxes! Shame on my country tsc tsc!

----------

Yeah, I dont like games, but pictures and a faster processor is important to me! Thanks for that, dear internet-fellow ;)

----------

Perfect. Dont want the same speed as iPod Touch 4G... it hangs a lot.

----------

Heeey! I have never heard of these things! GPS mainly! Thanks a lot for that! I will stick with 4S! Thanks, really!

17. scaredpoet, Dec 11, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The 4S camera has an f/2.4 lens. Pretty much best in class for camera phones.

This is a pretty thorough review for the camera, which is spot on:

http://techland.time.com/2011/10/17/review-of-the-apple-iphone-4s-camera/

As one who's used both the 4 and 4S cameras, I will say that the 4S is way better. The camera on the 4 was nice if you needed to take a photo and had no other camera around... but, the 4S can truly replace a point and shoot.

It still wouldn't replace my dSLR camera. But I have to say that since getting the 4S, my dSLR is coming out less often than it used to...

Based on just the camera alone, I'd recommend the 4S. Though there are plenty of other reasons to get the 4S over the 4:

1. Dual processors/faster GPU. The iPhone 4 is still decent but will probably slow down as the OS continues to get upgraded.

2. The HSPA+ definitely brings faster data speeds than the 4. Useful especially when tethering.

3. It'll probably be supported longer than the iPhone 4 with OS updates. Useful if you want to keep the phone for a while.

4. Higher resale value. Useful if you're not keeping the phone for a while and plan to upgrade to the next iPhone when it comes out, or even something else.

18. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Thats what I am looking for! Replace my point and shot (the one I dont have anymore ahahah).

Try to imagine how I feel carrying:

1. ipod touch
    2. Nokia phone
    3. GPS garmin
    4. Camera

It sucks!

I have just ONE concern... I currently own a Nokia 6303i. Battery time? 5 days. Well, I hope I dont get that annoyed charging my future iphone once a day.

19. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I just upgraded from the 4 to the 4s and it's worth getting the 4s. It's faster, the camera is better and the antenna design is fixed.

It's not going to be good as the Canon S95, but if you're just doing general point and shoot then it's handy.

20. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Nice review, thanks for that!
    Liked the pictures!

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'd say save the money and get the 4. I had the 4 and have the 4S now and the biggest difference for me is the speed, which is nice, but I wouldn't pay $300 for it.

I don't take pictures very often so your uses may not be the same as mine, but for the pictures that I did take with the 4 - they were fine and not grainy at all. I find siri is very situational and it's often faster to do something manually than repeat commands until it gets it right. I mainly use it to set my alarms.

I only paid $40 to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S so it wasn't such a big deal for me, wouldn't pay $300 though.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Well, there you have it. An F2.4 lens on the 4S, so go for the 4S, but it seems like you made that decision already.

Get a Mophie Juice Pack Air or Plus to extend your battery life. Problem Solved. I have one and I am glad I came upon this particular make.

Any other concerns?

23. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Yeah, I miss my S95 :(
    But I am not a professional photographer. It happens that I always thinks "ohh, if I had a camera here..." and iphone (4 or 4S) would do the job!

24. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

4S all the way.
    Besides the great camera, it will be faster and you can buy unlocked directly from Apple.com.
    Try to buy in the US online store the unlocked one, if that makes you get a lower price.
    In What country are you? That might help to give you better answers.
    But technically speaking getting the 4S is the way to go.
    You might find it better to get it from another country and then have it shipped to you.

25. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Looks like you need the 4S. If you are going to take alot of pics then the 4S will suit you better because the camera is alot better then the 4.