My 2.0/4GB Macbook: running slowly, kernel panics, spinning rainbow of doom.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by efuggetta, Feb 20, 2009.

1. efuggetta macrumors newbie

First of all, I apologize in advance if this belongs in software. I couldn't decide which one was appropriate.

I have a 2006 black Macbook. 2.0ghz, 4GB (upgraded), 160HD,27.21 available.

The problems: I have a kernel panic once or twice a month. I get the spinning rainbow of doom frequently. Once a day or so, an application quits while unresponsive. The fan often runs REALLY loudly (I've had Macbooks for years [white, pro, a different black] and I've never heard fan action like this)

The biggest problem is the sluggishness, though. I'd say about 1/3 of the time I'm using it, the fan is going nuts and it's SUPER slow. I'm talking can't-even-scroll-down-a-web-page-smoothly slow. The rest of the time, it's fast and quiet.

Here's the thing: there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to its moody bit. I can have 10 3000x2000 photos open in Photoshop CS3 and it's fine, but later that day I'll have Grey's Anatomy playing on the internet and it flies into its rage.

What gives?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible your HDD is dying. I would back up everything and then run the hardware tests by booting from the Restore DVD and holding 'D'.

3. efuggetta thread starter macrumors newbie

Will that wipe the drive? (I know you said back up but I didn't know if that was in case the HDD dies). I have a copy of Adobe CS3 that I don't have discs for anymore, so I'm reluctant to lose it, but I will if necessary.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the HDD dies, you'll lose what you have on there. Running the disk repair will not wipe the disk.

Get an external drive ASAP, and time machine backup what you have. Then, if/when the drive dies, just flash back the time machine image to a new drive, and everything will work just as it should. You won't need your CS3 discs then either.