My 2 new Airport Exreme's are not as fast as my 1 Netgear n900

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elliotdds, Oct 19, 2011.

1. elliotdds macrumors newbie

I bought 2 new Airport Extreme's - seem to work great. Running iMac, & several mac laptops, running through a Motorola 6120 DOCIS 3. My comcast speeds are usually around 60Mbs

This is when using the Netgear router - when I connect the Airport Extreme - my speeds go down by about half. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

frank

2. hafr macrumors 68030

So you went from one router to two? Are both ABESs wired to the modem, or is one AEBS just bouncing the wireless signals? Because that would cause the signal to lose half its strength since it's using half its bandwidth to receive and the other half to send out, instead of using all of it to send out if it's receiving the information through a wire.

3. elliotdds thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps - I should have been more clear. My intention was to use the 2nd Airport as an extender to the second floor.

So - I have one Airport hardwired to the Motorola 6120. The second being on another floor with the intention of bringing a stronger signal to other areas of the house

So the second Airport will just be used as an extender

thanks

frank

4. hafr macrumors 68030

There are adapters to buy that uses the mains for internet transfer. So you get two, one that you connect in the electrical wall socket by your modem and connect a short TP cable to it, the other one you connect in an appropriate wall socket where you want the second AEBS, and connect it with a short TP cable. This way, you have two hardwired routers in your house, great coverage and no need for a 60 foot cable running through your house :) Just make sure they both have the same SSID and password protection so that your devices automatically make the switch between the routers.

5. elliotdds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much - do you have any experience or recommendations as to what product to look at to do just that?

thanks

frank

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm afraid not. I use a set provided by my ISP... But here's a relevant wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

I thought I read that extending the network drops the overall speed, as each Airport has to listen for (and rebroadcast) the traffic from the other Airport.

That said, if you've got an 802.11n network setup (300mpbs), I'd still think it'd be able to outpace your Comcast broadband. :confused: