My 2 year AT&T contract has expired. What are my non AT&T options.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uk_blaster, Jun 29, 2009.

1. uk_blaster macrumors member

Like the title says, my mandatory two year iPhone contact has finally expired as of today.

I'm not looking to re-hash old news, but I certainly can not say the last two years of service provided to me by AT&T has been very satisfactory. :mad:

Do any of you folks know if I have any non AT&T service options from any other carriers here on the East Coast of the U.S.?

I assume that since I have completed my two years of service with AT&T that I am now free to use this device with any other compatible carrier without fear of penalty from AT&T?

Any advice from the forum would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Depending on what your baseband version is, you can unlock and go over to T-Mobile.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

there are really only 4 national carriers in the US: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Of those four, the latter two have CDMA networks, so you can't put an iphone on them, period. So if you don't want AT&T but want to keep your iphone, t-mo is your only option.

As with all carriers, their network quality varies from market to market. Just FYI, though, I have an AT&T iphone and a t-mo blackberry, and I consistently find the iphone with much better coverage (east coast). Of course, maybe where you live t-mo is great and at&t isn't, but it's not like you'd be switching to verizon.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Also take note of the data charges you might incur because of the iPhone's capabilities when you consider the features for your new carrier.

T-mobile is your option for GSM other than AT&T.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like he said.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile is the only option and you have to jailbreak and unlock it. I've heard that T-Mobile is very welcoming to iPhone users, so they might even help you set it up if you have questions. I don't think Visual Voicemail will work on their network. Also, you better check their coverage in your area (and other areas that you frequent) because their coverage is generally sparser than AT&Ts. AT&T and Verizon are the big guys in the US.

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Is there a popular forum for T-Mobile iPhone users in US?