My 2007 MBP is on it's last legs. Need advice on upgrade...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dre180, Dec 25, 2012.

  1. Dre180 macrumors member

    Jun 14, 2012
    Hey all,

    I'm looking to replace my 2007 MBP. I have narrowed it down to 2 options. The Retina MBP or the 27" iMac. I know this has been asked quite a bit but I'm still having a tough time deciding what is right for me. Please bear with the long post. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...

    First things first, I am more of a prosumer than anything. I don't have a "need" for a completely maxed out machine per se, but maybe my usage changes in the future which it always seems to. I'd like to have something that is capable years from now if so. I also don't have a need for portability, although it does come in handy at times and I love the HDMI output of the Retina MBP. I use Plex religiously and like the idea of being able to connect directly via HDMI instead of Airplaying through my apple tv...I deal with a lot of HD video, and do some light editing. Again I know my current needs tell me i'd be fine with either, but I'm more concerned with having the machine that will last down the line if I start getting more serious which i'm trending towards.

    What I like about the iMac more is the CPU, Upgradeable Ram, bigger screen and better graphics performance. Notice I didn't mention the fusion drive. I am not anti fusion by any means, but I am concerned about the Disk speed once the SSD becomes full and I hate the noise a HDD can make. In all tests that I've seen done, they typically don't fill up the drive over 128 so I feel the tests are flawed and would not dictate my real world usage as I have a TON of media. I feel fusion will become dated fairly quick in favor of all SSD and I don't know if i should invest in it over pure SSD. Sure I could leave all my media on externals as I have now, and only utilize the SSD portion of the drive - my apps don't take up all that much space but I feel it's kind of a waste to do so.

    What I like more about the Retina MBP is SSD, HDMI, and Retina Display. Although apple likes to say the SSD isn't upgradeable we know that simply isn't true. Once the drives become cheaper I most likely will do so. I majorly dislike the lack of ethernet and IMO is a ridiculous omission at this point in time. I don't care what anyone tries to tell me, I get nowhere near the same speeds through WiFi as I do a hard connection. Sure it's improving (AC is coming) but it's not ready to replace ethernet for me just yet. On top of that I have to waste a thunderbolt port in order to utilize it. Also, will the ethernet adapter be as fast as built in? Lastly I know I lose tons of internal storage if I go with the Retina, but i'm planning on buying it maxed out with the smallest SSD. I have way more media than 768 gb so that makes no sense for me. I will go all external, and when the time comes upgrade to a large SSD if cost effective.

    I apologize for the very long post, Ive done about as much research as I can possibly stand anymore. I am looking to purchase in the next week, and just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts so I can make my final decision. Thanks for the help...
  2. romanhdz macrumors member

    Apr 2, 2010
    I was in s similar position as you a couple months ago (except I was looking at the older 27 inch iMac). What really made me lean toward the MacBook Pro with retina was thinking about how often I use my laptop away from my desk.

    I figured out that most of the time, I use my laptop while watching TV, at coffee shops, libraries, etc., and getting a desktop (although more powerful, indeed) would force me to change the way I use my computer.

    Just some thoughts for you. Maybe you use your computer differently than I do, but its something worth thinking about.
  3. seveej macrumors 6502a


    Dec 14, 2009
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well, you've certainly had a lot of thought about, it but comparing apples and oranges is inherently futile.

    Based on your situation, I'd not try to, futureproof my selection, in stead I'd select something which suffices for now, and upgrade once the (now future) needs become more concrete.

  4. Ploki macrumors 68040

    Jan 21, 2008
    I also bought the rMBP the same specs, for roughly the same reasons. Ordered a week or so ago.

    maxed out cpu & ram and 256gb ssd. 512 won't do me much better, I'm either getting an OWC upgrade + using the 256ssd as a TB drive, or wait a tad longer to get a bigger internal ~1TB, and 768 upgrade is just hideously expensive.
  5. stevelam macrumors 65816

    Nov 4, 2010
    i highly doubt OWC is going to be bringing down the prices for their retina compatible ssd's any time soon. prices for ssds have been going down for a while, but custom-built stuff hardly ever does, especially when there is no other company competing in the same space.

Share This Page