My 2011 Macbook Pro is not reading my Second Hard drive that I replaced my optical Dr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HecTech, Jul 27, 2013.

1. HecTech macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 Macbook pro with OS 10.8.4.

I just bought a brand new HGST Travelstar 1tb internal hard drive with a OWC enclosure that replaces the optical drive in my MacBook Pro. After following all the steps and correctly installing the hardware the computer says that the hard drive that I am using isn't readable in my computer. I figured it said that because I have to format it in Disk Utilities to Mac OS extended. Disk Utilities recognizes the hard drive but when I format it half way through it gives me an error message.

After doing some research I figured let me try using Disk Warrior on the brand new blank hard drive. DW got stuck on step 5 and it is currently running. So far it has 552 malfunctions.

I'm not sure if the Hard drive is not compatible in my laptop or it's defective.

2. niteflyr, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

2011 MBP's have known issues with SATA 3, 6G drives in Opti-bay. Put the new drive in main bay and move original HDD to Opti-bay and you should be good to go.

3. HecTech thread starter macrumors newbie

It Worked!

It worked perfectly! Thanks you're a genius!