My 2013 15" Retina MacBook screen has a yellow tint, even the replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chad.petree, Feb 2, 2013.

1. chad.petree, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

chad.petree
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

chad.petree

I bought a retina macbook pro 15 " a week ago and right away i noticed my worst fear ( since i previously had read some similar stories) my screen has a noticeable yellow tint specially on white tones, websites have a "newspaper look " to them, yellowish/greyish.

I bought this computer because im starting web design in university in a couple of months so this is not good at all ,people say i shoud just calibrate it, but most people dont calibrate their screen, so it would be a mess, my work would look good on my computer but crappy on other's people computers (and yes i realize people in design calibrate their screens but the general public don't do)

I did try to calibrate my screen with D65 "equivalent to midday sunlight"and it improved a little bit but still is far from optimal.

I asked for a replacement and the screen pretty much looks the same, the white tones : websites, facebook timeline, itunes look greyish, yellowish , but i keep reading that i should keep it because i have a samsung screen and if i get a replacement i will probably get a LG screen with burn in/image retention , so what i did was (advanced) calibrate my display, left everything the way it was except for the "target white point" which comes at 6506 (native) and i moved it 6998 (very close to 7000) now im more pleased with the screen, but do you think this new values i used are far off from the standard?

I'm very surprised because i thought this issue only affected the initial batch of retina macbook pros, but i checked my serial online and my computer was made in January 2013 so its quite new, the panel is a Samsung LSN154YL01001

What do you think i should do? i went to a couple of stores to check the screens and out of 4 3 were yellowish, the other one looked more blue (and beautiful) but it looks like the colder screen is not very common, I dont wanna go through the exchanging process again, I'm seriously thinking about giving the laptop back and stick with my vaio (kinda sluggish, impossible to transport) and wait for the new retina MacBooks that are supossed to come in june, but maybe apple would use the same screens? :(

2. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not calibrate the screen? That may resolve your issue.

3. SandboxGeneral
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Could it be that the adhesive in the screen isn't fully cured yet? I've seen it where a screen would be yellowish and after a couple of weeks or so it goes away.

4. chad.petree
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

Did yo read the post? :( i did calibrate it

I highly doubt it, when that happens those are yellow spots, this is a uniform yellow tint, and the macbook pros that I've seen on display have months being on and they still have the yellow tint, so there goes the theory of waiting a couple of weeks