My $2500 15"MBP had 4 hard drive replacements and 1 logic board replacement. BAM!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxnnxx, Oct 1, 2010.

1. xxnnxx macrumors newbie

While I was having this MacBook Pro, I had too many problems.

To make the long story short, I am a careful computer user and I treat my computer like my baby since I am a college student studying Architecture and I spend more time and money on my computer than on books and there haven been 5 replacements on this mbp that I am using right now.

My 1st hard drive crash happened 3 weeks after I bought my mbp in April 2008. I got it replaced under warranty.

2nd hard drive crash happened little after 6 months.

I went and bought AppleCare.

3rd crash was LOGIC BOARD crash. It happened a week before my final presentation for my design studio during Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks goodness AppleCare covered the replacement part cost. I still had to pay for labor fee because they had to 'investigate' what the problem was.

4th crash happened 6 months after the logic board replacement.

5th crash happened 2 months after the 4th hard drive replacement. It was June or July, 2010.

Basically, I had brand new system every 6 month and I am sure getting a different MBP even the same old model would be a better idea for both Apple and me.

I think I deserve complaining/whining about what I went through after this many problems with one MBP. So, please bear with me.

In my college program, more than 70% has same mbp as I do and mine is the only mbp had this much problem. My peers usually have charger and battery problems, not consistent hardware problems.

Do you all think I just need to calm down and throw $2500 away at this point? I've been thinking about suing Apple for many different damages caused by my mbp not meeting minimum performance expectation. It's a little too extreme but I think I am at that level I cannot stand how this machine cannot not meet minimum expectations for its lower-end machines even after getting "fixed" 5 times with same or similar issues.

Purchasing 15" mbp with $2500 was a contract between Apple and I and this is ridiculous how this particular machine did not meet its expectation. I even paid $500 more to get a better graphic card. It turned out I didn't get to use any of them. In fact, I was very close to failing one of my class because my computer kept crashing. Again, my classmates were doing exact same thing as I did and my mbp was the only one having that problem. At the end, I got excused and got to make up for the assignments couldn't turn in on time because of "technical difficulty" that I was having.

Kudos to AppleCare for a good service, though. However, Apple need to do better job making computers better when it's charging three times more than other computers with same spec.

I remember the day I bought my mbp how I was excited when I first saw the "Welcome" screen and now I do not appreciate seeing that purple screen.

My AppleCare expires in April 2011 and who knows when this computer would crash. If it was just hard drive problem, I can get it fixed but it has a history of logic board failure and I really hope logic board remains fine.

It is obvious that I did not get to use this computer as well as other mbp users and I am sad I couldn't experience much of good things as a MacBook Pro user.
    :'(

Thanks you all for reading. I just got so sad this evening about the fact that I gave up on running time machine on this mbp after the 5th replacement. I don't think I will ever use this machine again to save pictures with my family like most of people do on their personal computers.

This mbp is gonna be a public computer like at a library from next week. I won't run any of my CS3 that I spent $600 and never really got to use because my logic board or hard drive will get destroyed if I run anything on this computer other than basic programs that came with Leopard + iLife + iWork. I am going to try Windows. Wish me a luck.

Haaaa....
    I wish I was being a drama queen and this was not a real situation.

Have a good night, you all.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

In my opinion, you can't blame Apple for hard drive failures. You just had bad luck.

I think I once had three hard drives die on me within the span of one month...

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Funny how you ignore the rest. Dude got screwed horribly and the Apple techs know it as soon as they see his file.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 as bad as it is to say. I work in IT and hard drives fail all the time regardless of OS. Especially western digitals and maxtors. Apple doesn't make hard drives.

5. Ludaru macrumors member

If a part turns out to be bad after investigation you're not supposed to pay that fee, especially under AppleCare?

PS: I'm on a 8600m MBP... I don't dare to use it for important work. Annoying, isn't it?

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

What did I ignore?

1. Hard drive died. Apple fixed it.
    2. Hard drive died. Apple fixed it.
    3. Logic board died. Apple fixed it.
    4. Something went bad. Apple fixed it.
    5. Something went bad. Apple fixed it.

Apple didn't scew him/her. He/she had horrible luck.

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I think the point attempting to be made is, there comes a point when it's more cost and time effective for all parties to just swap the damn thing out. The cost in parts and man hours with what they changed came quite close to the cost of a new MacBook Pro anyway.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

When a machine has this many problems in this short a time... it is know as a lemon. The OP should have been able to talk a replacement MBP out of Apple in exchange for this lemon.

You have to admit this is a fine example on why you need to buy applecare.

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'd be pushing for a new computer. I've seen brand new computers go out because of 3 'major hardware failures'.

Call AppleCare and be as nice as you can while being firm about what you want. Have the call escalated as high as you can. It's not like you're cheating them out of something... I'm pretty sure that after 3 major hardware faults, you're entitled to a new computer.

10. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

If this happened to everyone I'd see your point.

However you bought a lemon. I'd be annoyed too, but it's just the luck of the draw.

11. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Don't let one lemon spoil the bunch ;)

Talk to Apple next time something happens and request a complete replacement (new current model MPB), based on your history with your particular MBP. I'd try that before any legal action...

Windows ain't gonna save you dude. It's just going to continue your bad luck.

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't know what's considered a "major hardware failure"... Maybe it's just me, but I've seen so many hard drive failures that it's almost like nothing to me now.

Last month, I replaced a hard drive in a 1st gen MacBook Pro for a friend. She bought a Wester Digital despite my recommendations against it. A week later, she was back to have me pull it out so she could send it back for RMA. They didn't even give her a new drive. It was a refurb.

13. mattb2003 macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm just lucky:

I have a Dell Inspiron I bought in 1999. Changed the hard drive 5 years after I bought it (space, not a hardware issue). Hard drive in it is still running (and yes, the computer sill runs).

Built my own computer in 2003. Original hard drive still working (and I leave the computer on 24/7). Bought a secondary hard drive for space in 2005. That hard drive is also still working.

Bought a Dell XPS 2 years ago. No hard drive problems and computer is still working strong (in fact, it's actually faster than my MacBook Pro).

Bought the MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. Changed out the stock 320gb 5400rpm for a 500gb 7200rpm. No problem so far. Of course, this could change.

I know that hard drives fail, however, 4 replacements does seem a little odd to me given my experiences with computers. Maybe it all is just "luck of the draw"...

14. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

the hard drives are probably from the macbook being moved around while in use like most laptops are.

I don't see apple giving your a new laptop for your 2 year old laptop. Maybe giving your a couple hundred off of a new one.

Why don't you just sell your current MBP on craigslist and buy a new one.

Is this part of the Nvidia class action? http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

15. xxnnxx thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have that graphic card model on my logic board.
    It's GeForce 8600M GT, right?
    Whoa.
    It seems like I'm just unlucky. Multiple bad things packed in my little computer since I totally took a good care of this MBP while my 60 classmates treated it not as well.

Yeah, I know I had horrible luck and that was why I posted this because I just wanted to tell this to somebody who might know about this kind of situation. All of my friends doing same stuff as I do with same MBP do not have this problem. Of course, they just pity me and that's it.

16. nwbusa macrumors regular

To those saying "you can't blame Apple, they don't made the hard drives"... well, that logic is not 100% valid. Apple may not make the hard drives, but they source them and sell them to consumers as part of their end-product (the MBP). To say they're not to "blame" (whatever that word implies) is like saying they didn't make the resistors or capacitors on the circuit boards inside the MPB, so they shouldn't be responsible when a board fails. Regardless of who is to "blame", Apple should be expected to stand behind their products -- which one could argue they've done in this case by repairing the computer each time its failed. Whether what Apple has done for the OP is good enough is certainly open to debate.

17. xxnnxx thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not gonna take amy legal action but I am this close to doing it because I am that mad about this situation how I need to just accept the fact that a lemon landed in my hand.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Honestly, what was the point of this post? To rant about you having hdd problems? Apple sells how many computers? and how many have problems? I don't think anyone realizes the difference. Nothing is perfect.

Oh and you know "Windows" is an operation system, not a type of hardware? So "Windows" could run the same HDD as you currently use in your Mac...and its not "OS X" fault that the hard drive failed.

19. xxnnxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, really? That's good to know. That was what I thought but they charged me $40/hr or so for investigation. Thanks for you help.

And yeah, I wish I had other computer to use for important work but this MBP was the biggest investment for my college education and so as many other people. I expected to use this for at least 2 years with not that many problem.
    Which computer would you use? I thought MBP is supposedly better than a MB. Do you use a desktop computer for the maximum stability?

I know. I am just whining since I was not fortunate enough to earn a normal computer.

Oh, I had good luck with Windows so far and not with Apple. I was just unlucky and all my apples turned out to be lemons after a bite. I only used 2 but they were not good to me. Just to me. So, maybe I will try something different, you know. But I will talk to Apple next time. I love Apple's customer service so far :)

Exactly. I have used many computers before this MBP and my $700 crappy windows Averatec laptop ran better than MBP. :'(

20. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

maybe you just went in the wrong computer world, you should buy a more powerful laptop like alienware, mbps are pro computers for normal users, if that made sense.

21. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I thought Apple would have replaced the whole computer after so many failures.

My Powerbook G4 got replaced by free the first time the logic board died (no idea why, they just exchanged it with a newer model, this is 6 years ago tho).

My 2007 MBP got replaced after two logic boards and one screen that suddenly got dark spots. (Got this i5 as replacement). I thought three major repairs would give you a new machine, but I guess that perhaps differs from where you live.

22. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Is replacing a failed hard drive considered a major repair?

23. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you have to hand in the computer and wait a few days to get it repaired. If that's not a major repair I guess only logic board and screen replacement would count as major?

24. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

25. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I wish you luck on that exchange.

I didn't have my MacBook Pro for 6 months because they changed the logic board 3 times, changed the battery 3 times, battery charger 1 time, 1 screen, the bottom case, the "SuperDrive", and still I couldn't convince them to simply exchange it for a new one.

They even returned it with the ram in an anti-static bag with a sticker on it saying defect. Why on earth they didn't change that is beyond me.

The first person I spoke to were kind and could clearly see what a lemon this computer were, so he escalated it to someone higher up. That person, however, made a 180 degree turn and played hardball and said there was nothing wrong with it.

I quietly gave up pursuing anything called AppleCare and bought useful insurance to cover my electronics.