iPad Pro My 32gb 12" ipad pro screen has a yellowish/warmer tint at the top.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sneak3, May 21, 2016.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.

Just got a new ipad pro 32gb as a gift and it turns out I can notice the top half of the screen has a yellow/warmer tint than the bottom half.

Im not sure if I should ask if you guys have perfect uniform screens because not everybody can see that...But I would like to know if the manufacture date would have something to do with it. I've used this site to check the date: http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi
    Mine was manufactured in january.

How common is this issue with 12" ipad pros? Does apple/community consider it as a defect?

Here are the pics. What do you think? I can't quickly exchange or return it. It was bought over-seas so would need to make a warranty claim or something over at my local apple. Would you keep it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. canesalato, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Sometimes picture emphasize defects. I don't know how it looks in person, but, from the picture, i would not keep it. Btw: at 12.9" I'd call it 13" iPad pro =)

3. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

this is why i get consumer anxiety when I buy a new iToy

4. augustya, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Same here am planning to buy my new iPad Pro 9.7" and this is exactly that is sending shivers down my spine have seen quite a few of those warmer tone displays ! What if mine also turns out to be that one, then the bluish cooler white displays ! Who bloody wants to take the lotto lottery !!

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any of you guys that have the ipad pro 12.9" would be willing to tell me the manufacture date?

I woulnt like to go into an exchange loop (especially since it will be a warranty claim) if the chances of getting an evenly-colored one are the same even at this time in the year.
    I would love to hear that a newer one doesnt have the same issue.

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I havea November build

Looks great

Other was warm and I think late November or early December.

No correlation in my mind the difference is maybe just maybe quality is better off the bat because of more media attention/ set of eyes but it's a crap shoot even so and that's just my unfounded guess that luck may be better in the beginning.

But I got an air 2 late in the cycle (September last year) and got a great one. No longer have it .. Sold

7. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Just because you have a warmer tone screen display anyways it does not qualify for exchange even if under warranty If you go and tell Apple about this, they will tell you, this is well within their specifications unless and until you are in a country where there is Apple Store and If you have purchased from there and so you can return it (no questions asked) in the 14 day return period but otherwise Apple does not and will not give you a exchange piece for this as this issue does not fall in to warranty thing! This is not a issue according to Apple !

8. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Can you tell me where did you get that information about how apple handles this?

Keep in mind that it's NOT EVENLY yellow. Unlike a few people, I wouldn't mind at all if it was an all yellow display. The issue is the shift in tone from top to bottom.

9. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

You posted this over in the iPad-Subreddit, to similar results. I think it would behoove you to just get used to it as best you can. At least try and forget for 2 weeks, and if after 2 weeks it's still that distracting, take it to the Genius Bar and explain the issue. Even then, I'm not sure it'll qualify, but that (IMO) varies time-to-time.

10. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah and most people are telling me to exchange it. :(

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

It's just a New Apple feature called Gradient True Tone.

12. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

This is not a new thing that has happened this time. It has been happening since first I came across such screens in 2012 during the iPad-3 just go through past threads of 2012 when people have posted about this and you would know what they experienced including myself. Just do your homework ! If you don't believe me try experiencing it If you are not in a country where Apple has its own stores go to them and tell them about this and that you want a replacement unit for this and see what they say !

13. andy271 macrumors member

the first batch of screens were sharp the second batch were I think samsung maybe lg.because apple use different display manufactures this is what causes the problem ive had to many ipad pro 12.9 and in the end I got a refund the ones in the shop are perfect ,as far as im concerned if you bought a white car and it had patches of yellow would you not purchase it its as simple as this its a fault in my book yes if it was all yellow I could accept that but its not and its the reason im waiting for Wacom and Microsoft to bring there stylus out that will be as good as the apple pencil hopefully apple will see all these posts and get the screen quality control sorted out in the next version of the ipad pto 12.9 its a fabulous device and as ive said on many occasions the apple pencil is the best out there at the moment the screens let it down

14. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Do you have a source for sharp vs samsung/lg? Also how did they compare in your experience

15. andy271 macrumors member

http://wccftech.com/samsung-sharp-ipad-pro-display-suppliers/

the problem is without taking one apart you wont know .the ones in the shop I think are sharp and the ones with the uneven tint are Samsung ,I could be wrong here and its the other way around im in the uk and all the display models were 32gb but I have seen some stores with the 128gb on display and the display has been perfect and I mean totally uniform

16. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Is the "tint" at the right side of the iPad (like if it was in portrait mode?) Otherwise I don't see anything wrong. Sorry.

Kallum.

17. ericwn macrumors 65816

So basically buy from any place with a usable return policy, issue solved.

18. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes the tint is on the right side. You can see it's more warmer/darker than the left side.

19. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Okay I see the difference but from the pictures it doesn't look the worst ever, but not ideal either.... I personally would first call Apple Care support to ask what you should do after telling them what the problem is, and and ask them if it would be possible to take it in to Apple and see what they can do. (YES I KNOW you can already take it in, but I have found that calling tech support THEN taking it in gives me much better customer service.)
    Cause even though it's a gift... someone spent 800+ dollars on the device for you, and a product that expensive shouldn't have problems (aside from minor annoyances that any device would have, but this is a little more of a problem not an annoyance.)

Kallum.