My 4S decided to go for a swim.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2012
This just occured 15 minutes ago and since I never thought I would get my iPhone wet, I figured I would share.

I was in the bathroom finishing my business and in the process of pulling up my shorts (slippy mesh). My phone was hanging halfway out like it often does in this situation. The toilet just started the flushing process. At about knee level I receive a text and as I reach for the phone it takes a dive fully submerging itself for a good 3 seconds. It was even rotating with the water. As I looked at it, I was waiting for the lockscreen to fade out, since it was lit due to the message being received. But it continued to stay lit.

I quickly dove in after it, ripped the case off, and dried it off. It seems to be working at 100% without any issues. I seriously never thought water and my iPhone would have an encounter, let alone one of this magnitude.

My case is an Otterbox Commuter. Though they are not advertised as waterproof, mine did the job.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
This just occured 15 minutes ago and since I never thought I would get my iPhone wet, I figured I would share.

I was in the bathroom finishing my business and in the process of pulling up my shorts (slippy mesh). My phone was hanging halfway out like it often does in this situation. The toilet just started the flushing process. At about knee level I receive a text and as I reach for the phone it takes a dive fully submerging itself for a good 3 seconds. It was even rotating with the water. As I looked at it, I was waiting for the lockscreen to fade out, since it was lit due to the message being received. But it continued to stay lit.

I quickly dove in after it, ripped the case off, and dried it off. It seems to be working at 100% without any issues. I seriously never thought water and my iPhone would have an encounter, let alone one of this magnitude.

My case is an Otterbox Commuter. Though they are not advertised as waterproof, mine did the job.
its luck of the draw pretty much...my first gen Itouch went for a swim too and still works great

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Posted this before but a buddy was taking a leak one day and placed his phone on top of the toilet, it went off and vibrated into the toilet before he could react... b/c ya know once a man starts taking a leak it's pretty much impossible to stop :D. We're all in the living room and then heard a bunch of cursing coming from the bathroom lol.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I had a 3G fully submerged in a sink full of water for a few seconds (no case) and the thing worked fine afterward. No way of really telling if it's the case that made the difference.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
What? 2 downvotes for my joke???

Okay, if you didn't like that one, how about this!

Think different... more like STINK different! AMIRITE?!?!?!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Just because it's working now does NOT mean it's ok.

You should immediately turn it off and, with a flashlight, check the water sensors to see if, in fact, water did or didn't get inside.

If they're still white, consider yourself VERY lucky, put back in the case, turn it on and continue as normal.

If they're pink or red, keep the phone off and throw it in a bag of rice for a few days to make sure the internals are completely dry.... yes, DAYS!

Corrosion can easily destroy your phone - and it won't happen instantly.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Still no luck?

What about this?

The OP obviously mistook the S in the iPhone 4S to mean iPhone 4 Swimmers. NOMSAYIN?!?!!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Life proof!!

Don't know if I'd really recommend the case buts it's durable and water proof.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2012
iPhone? More like iPoop. AMIRITE?!?!?
Haha you are correct.

----------

I didn't even consider the corrosion factor. I'll take a look at the water sensor.

For those dying to know...it was in fact a "number 2"

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd put it in some rice regardless to attempt to suck any residual water out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.