My 4s has a dead pixel(want to exchange) BUT I cracked the back.. Will apple still

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hreyhrey, Sep 21, 2012.

1. hreyhrey macrumors member

So I had a dead pixel on my phone and I was waiting to use the "exchange" so I can sell the phone like new on ebay.

Anyways I had cracked the back screen and am waiting for a part on ebay BUT I want to just go replace it now!

WILL APPLE CARE that the back is broken and be like we cant exchange this anymore becuase of the back?

----------

please guys help

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Don't replace it yourself, there are no OEM replacement parts available to the public. Just head to the nearest Apple Store and have them replace the back for you for $30 :) .

3. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

Will they replace my entire phone though since I have a dead pixel?

I dont care about the back I only care about replacing the dead pixel aka phone

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

They will know that youre trying to pull a fast one and put notes in your account that you tried to get a replacement on a damaged item so future visits will be flagged as well.

My friend tried this same scheme and had a real frustrating experience.

5. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

Thats fine all I need is my phone replaced because the dead pixel!!

So will they do it for free because I asked them about 4 months ago and they siad yea we will replace this for free but I didnt want to waste it at that time

6. zaxdude macrumors regular

Essentially you are wanting to get more from them for "free" than you deserve.

You cracked the back, right?

Offer to pay to have the back replaced, but ask as well at the same time for them to replace the screen because of the dead pixel.

They may just swap it out for free completely since you made the original offer to pay for the repair of the back. But don't go in expecting them to replace the phone with no out of pocket cost b/c part of the damage is your responsibility. Own up to it and be honest about it.

7. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

The thing is before I cracked the screen I had the dead pixel so they would have replaced it for free anyways!

Why woudl a cracked screen matter?

8. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

That's like saying you dropped your phone in the toilet, then have a dead pixel and want a brand new one :rolleyes:

Not happening, if you take it in to Apple and try to be slick about it they will flag your account as trying to get a damaged phone replaced for free and future visits will always have this flag.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol sure you dont

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

Because who wants a cracked screen? So it would matter. Whatever you do be careful because you do not want them to flag your account.

11. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

Alright well the new back part is coming in from ebay so ill just have to go that route than :(

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Pretty sure ifixit is OEM parts

13. Robb. macrumors member

What is cracked? The back of the phone or the screen?

If the back is cracked:
    - Go to the store
    - Offer to pay to have the back replaced, but explain that you have a dead pixel and would like the screen replaced
    - They will most likely just replace the entire unit

If the screen is cracked:
    - They will not replace the unit under warranty.

14. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

I thought at Genius Bar, if you pay $200 damaged phone replacement charge, they will give you another new/refurbished phone. They won't ask you to wait for repair. I am wrong.

15. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

how did you crack it so fast? you just got it?

16. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

the 4s not the 5 im trying to get a new 4s from apple