My 6+ flew out of my hands 4 feet above a cement driveway

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensporebomb, Oct 23, 2014.

1. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

It was night and I had my phone in my left hand (I had been using it to play tunes thru the car's stereo system) and hadn't put it back in my pocket yet.

Was taking a coat out of the back seat of my car when it got caught on something (I think the seatbelt webbing) and a box of compact discs.

I gave the coat kind of a tug and kind of must have lost my balance for a sec and the next thing I know I see this phone shaped object fly about three feet vertical from my left hand and sort of arc over my head and head straight for the cement driveway on my right. I'm about 5'6" so I knew this was not going to end well.

I couldn't get the coat and box out of my hands fast enough to try and grab the phone and the phone landed on the left top edge hard enough to make my heart skip a beat.

Pick the thing up. It has a Platinum brand polystyrene case that's got some fuzzy foam like substance that cushions the phone inside. A cursory glance - it seems okay but I hadn't taken the case off especially outside.

Bring the phone inside, get it under some bright lights and take the case off.

Unbelievable, the only sign there was any kind of problem is the top upper left side of the case is sort of an impact point - an abraded area of the case material about 2-3 centimeters in diameter but the phone is spotless.

So I learned to keep my phone in my pocket when pulling stuff out of my car and also to recommend this brand case if you ever need to protect your phone.

And no, it's not bent either.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Glad your phone is ok. Photo or link for the case, please!

3. SuperCub macrumors member

I'm about 5'6", too, but I figured it would end well. I win.

4. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Anecdotal statistics are often the most accurate. I mean, they were experienced first-hand.

5. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I have pics!

Here's the phone in the case with said divot - I suspect aliens saved my phone from smashing.

Given that I took a picture of the phone with the phone itself I bet you're wondering how that was done.

Pay no attention to the circular pedestal I used to bring the phone into focus.

Attached Files:

• Case.jpg
      Case.jpg
      File size:
      334.9 KB
      Views:
  6. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Um, anyone else think it looks a little bent near the volume buttons? :eek:

7. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ah!

The buttons are bent, the phone is not. That's a special mod I asked for from Apple. If the buttons are bent, the phone won't be.

8. Mr Hands macrumors regular

Doesn't look bent to me. I'm seeing more of the volume down button's edge versus the volume up button because the volume up button meets the edge of the 'cut out'... follow me?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have a link to where I can buy that case? Googling Platinum iPhone case didn't turn it up.

10. tekkt0r, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014

tekkt0r macrumors member

Please, share with us the type of lens you're using for the pedestal. Canon? Nikon?

:D

Edit: wait, this is blowing my mind. You used TWO lenses to take a picture of... TWO lenses! Technically, you used a lens in the facilitattion of taking a picture using a lens OF 2 camera lenses. How is this possible?

[​IMG]

----------

it can be found at best buy :)

11. Razeus macrumors 601

I find it interesting how people constantly mess with their phones when they don't need to. I only pull mine out when it's needed.

12. ricktat macrumors 65816

Suggestions for next time.... Prevention

Attached Files:

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Thanks for posting the case, OP, and for having a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

And just thing - that divot would be in your phone if you hadn't put the case on... good call! ;)

14. aliensporebomb, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014

aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I'll

I bought it at Best Buy. I have the actual case box with SKU number at the house because it also came with a belt clip that I don't really use.

Stay tuned!

----------

Actually....

Between the computer's webcam, the DSLR with the 3 lenses and the two lenses on the phone we have 6. And yes, Nikon.

15. skisteven1 macrumors newbie

so then, did we ever figure out what the brand of case was?

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks like the moderators paid a visit. :(

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

But… we were having a laugh :(

Besides. Some images were left? :confused:

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

That's a shame - some of the images were hilarious, and OP didn't seem upset by them.