My 7+ auto connects to a network based on my other devices connecting to it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kat.hayes, Sep 27, 2017.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 65816

I used an iPad and a MacBook to join a wifi network at work, and I just noticed that my 7+ was also connected to this network though I do not remember ever connecting to it. I selected the option to forget the network and it told me that it would no longer connect to this device or any other devices that are using the keychain. Does this mean that since I connected on my iPad it will connect using the keychain automatically on all my devices???? How do I turn this off so I can just connect on my iPad or Macbook without worrying about it also connecting my phone?

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The only way to do this, as I recall, is to disable iCloud Keychain (at least on the device that you don't want to have this happen on).

3. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Oh thank God.

This explains why my 8 Plus that WASN’T restored from backup automatically connected to my parents’ WiFi when I visited them this past Sunday.

4. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Let the networks sync and whenever your iPhone connects to a network you don't want it to, go into the settings for that network (click tie (i) ) and turn off Auto-Join. This is a new feature of iOS11. Then pick another network (or toggle wifi off and on) and it'll not connect back to that one again.

Turning off the keychain also stops passwords from syncing, which I find very useful. I actually like the network syncing too, but I guess not everyone does.

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't upgraded to ios11 yet. i never noticed this before.

I don't think i use Keychain, what will I be losing feature wise by disabling this?

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085 should be of some help.