Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
My 80 GB iPod Classic is awesome, I'm really happy I got it and I've been really enjoying it. However there are a few things that I definitely don;t like about it.

1) Compilations are handled terribly.

I want to be able to sort by Artist and then album, but I don't want the individual artist for every track on a compilation to show up as their own entry in my artist list! For compilations I want the compilation album name to show up in the artist list, and that's all.

The whole point of getting a compilation is that you probably don't have a lot albums by the artists on that compilation already. So when compilations are included in my artist sorting I wind up with a zillion people there that I don't recognize cluttering up my artist list and preventing me from easily finding the artist I'm actually looking for.

2) It doesn't remember the place you left off of in your playlist!

When you watch a movie, you can stop the movie anywhere, go do anything with your iPod, and when you hit play on the movie it automatically picks up from where you stopped watching, which is a great feature. However, when I'm in the middle of listening to a playlist, as soon as I connect to my computer, play a movie, or do almost anything else with my iPod it forgets where I was in my playlist and when I go back to play music again it starts from the first song in the list again! Arg!

The majority of how I listen to music is through playlists, so this is a huge annoyance!

3) It won't let you put EQ in your main menu.

I use my iPod everywhere in lots of different environments, just as it was intended. In some noisy environments I often need to switch the EQ setting, but since it won't let you put the EQ option window in the main menu like it does for many other windows that means every time I want to change the EQ I have to go surf through a few submenus.

There are a few more gripes, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

What about you? What things don't you like about your iPod?

iSaint

macrumors 603

When you watch a movie, you can stop the movie anywhere, go do anything with your iPod, and when you hit play on the movie it automatically picks up from where you stopped watching, which is a great feature. However, when I'm in the middle of listening to a playlist, as soon as I connect to my computer, play a movie, or do almost anything else with my iPod it forgets where I was in my playlist and when I go back to play music again it starts from the first song in the list again! Arg!

The majority of how I listen to music is through playlists, so this is a huge annoyance!

Hmmm, if I turn off my iPod by holding the pause button down, it will play from there (playlist, wherever I may be) the next time I power up.

I never have read up on compilations like I should. I use Genre to find most of my music. I recently made a playlist of some of my favorites and I've been listening to that quite a bit.

I like my 80g Classic!

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Like you, I love my classic, but dislike a few things.

1) Removal of the backlight on/off by holding menu (I know this was removed in an older iPod).

2) You no longer see the sleep timer while listening to a song.

3) You can no long end a song by slighting the trackball to the end of a song, skipping what ever's left and also giving a play count. Now if you try, it will only move 4 seconds away from the end.

Obviously, these are minor complaints, but the fact that all of them could have been left in as options confuses me. Apple usually is all about options, not removing features.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Here's another one:

4) The screen switches from the now playing screen to a full screen clock after a short time so that I can't just look at my ipod to see what's playing.

So I have to unlock it and fiddle with the controls every time I just want to take a quick glance at the song's remaining time, name, album or artist for the currently playing song.

dangercat

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
1 Thing I Find Bittersweet

I absolutely LOVE the fact that the classic supports playlist folders, as this is how I sort a HUGE amount of my music... But having hundreds of highly organized playlists, with thousands of songs, the iPod takes a LONG time to load the folders. (This is a good way to avoid the compilation troubles... but also an occasionally annoying way)

nanbillx

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
My 80 GB iPod Classic is awesome, I'm really happy I got it and I've been really enjoying it. However there are a few things that I definitely don;t like about it.

1) Compilations are handled terribly.

I want to be able to sort by Artist and then album, but I don't want the individual artist for every track on a compilation to show up as their own entry in my artist list! For compilations I want the compilation album name to show up in the artist list, and that's all.

The whole point of getting a compilation is that you probably don't have a lot albums by the artists on that compilation already. So when compilations are included in my artist sorting I wind up with a zillion people there that I don't recognize cluttering up my artist list and preventing me from easily finding the artist I'm actually looking for.

When you watch a movie, you can stop the movie anywhere, go do anything with your iPod, and when you hit play on the movie it automatically picks up from where you stopped watching, which is a great feature. However, when I'm in the middle of listening to a playlist, as soon as I connect to my computer, play a movie, or do almost anything else with my iPod it forgets where I was in my playlist and when I go back to play music again it starts from the first song in the list again!

3) It won't let you put EQ in your main menu.

What about you? What things don't you like about your iPod?

When I connect my 80 GB Classic to my computer to charge the battery, the playlist returns to the first song after the charge is done and I disconnect to use it. I usually have the songs shuffled, so if the battery needs to be charged after 300 songs, I don't get to hear the balance that are loaded on it. Any ideas how to correct this problem? The computer says that the Classic is synched. I wonder, if charging with a wall plug in charger would alleviate this?

Other than that, I love the Classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.