My agent 18 eco-case is scratching my iphone (STAY AWAY FROM AGENT18)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aphexii, Nov 28, 2007.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

Just pulled off the case and on the backside it has left two decent sized black scratches on my phone. Its somehow the way they molded the plastic because they are right along two small lines running down the backside in the case.

Just a heads up, I bought a case to protect it, not to sctatch it up more. Microfiber bag FTW.

2. gremlinbc macrumors newbie

Mine too...

Although in a different spot, my iPhone was also scratched by my Agent 18 case. Mine happened on the side of the phone, but there are 3 very distinct, very straight scratches. I noticed that right on the inside of the case, there are 3 "imperfections" that caused this when I slid the case on and/or off. The case fits relatively tightly.

I'm going to write a letter to the company and although I don't know what I expect to get in return, their product caused damage to the phone. I didn't even notice it until now (months later) because I never took the case off. Why would I? Iassumed their product was good enough to not have inspect the phone to see if there was damage. Guess not.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Mine put huge scratches down the chrome front of my iPhone. Luckily they aren't really noticeable unless you look specifically for them because they are so straight.

4. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Wirelessly posted (8Gb iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

yup, I started a thread on here somewhere that includes pictures of the damage it did to mine.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I wrote them an email because of the scratches. I think they should know about this problem so they can address it. I doubt they'll take any responsibility for those of us who already have scratched up chrome,but people should definitely write them to tell them that their product needs modification.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

I wrote them and got this reply:

"Thank you for your email. We're sorry to hear about the trouble with your iPhone. Our engineers have designed the shield to have minimal surface contact with the iPhone and assure us the case will not scratch the iPhone. We have heard other iPod cover manufacturers receiving reports of scratching, so it seems this is a problem with the iPhone itself. As scratching may be caused by debris trapped inside the case, we'd recommend you cleaning the surface of the case and the iPhone regularly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you, Agent18"

7. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

its definitely not debris, I can see where the seems on their plastic mold are scratching my phone

8. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Yeah, on mine, it definitely was NOT debri. It was a jagged, unclean edge.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree about the debris. I replied to them:

"Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that scratches can be caused by debris and have therefore always kept both the case and the iphone sparkling clean. However, once you look at how the Agent18 case slips on, there can be no doubt that the case is the culprit responsible for scratching. Regrettably, your engineers are mistaken in their assertions.

A protective case that cannot be used as designed without causing damage to the product is a very poor case indeed, and one that has damaged my investment. To blame the iphone seems ludicrous given that your case is designed FOR the iphone and not vice versa. The kind of scratches visible are very clearly marks from the Agent18 case scraping against the chrome. "

10. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

they gave me the same canned reply - blaming my iPhone for the problem.

Somehow though, I used another case for over a month and my iPhone didn't exhibit this problem.

Stay away from Agent18, unless you want a scratched iPhone.

11. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

I just wanted to say that an iPhone is not an investment.... The iphone does not increase in value, it decreases over time..... $200 price drop ring a bell???? I dont understand why buy a case for something and take it on and off and on and off... Just leave it on and you wont see any scratches... The chrome bezel is like the back of the ipods... If you leave it in your jeans it will cause scratches... Just get over it and remember it is just a phone....

12. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Macsterling: Just as a quick response - I didn't take the case on and off my iPhone everyday, in fact, I've only taken it off twice since I bought the case nearly 2 months ago. I in fact did leave it on all the time.

We're mad because we bought this to protect the iPhone, not scratch it up itself.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

It's an investment of my money. Of course, it's not going increase in value, but if I do want to sell it in a year, no scratches is better than lots of scratches. That was one of the reasons I got a case. Also, I didn't take it on and off, but I needed to swap sims and clean it a few times and that was enough to scratch it quite severely.

You're right about one thing though: it IS just a phone.

14. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

case or no case it will still get scratches. There is no way to avoid this. No matter what case u get or just going naked will cause scratches. The cases basically provide protection if u drop the phone which I have done with the agent 18 case. I'll take a few scratches over a few dents anyday.

15. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I was looking at one of these cases last night, looks like I will stay away from it.

16. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

I have the black agent 18 case and the metal right underneath the home button now has these weird marks. I can't tell if they are scratches or what? has anyone else had scratches or scuffs on the metal right underneath the home button on the metal bezel?

17. danny_w macrumors 601

I just pulled mine apart after reading this thread, and can't find any scratches on the phone at all. I cleaned out the inside of the case and did find some junk in there, but nothing major. I have had mine for about 4 months (bought the same day as my iPhone).

18. hurleybrother11 macrumors newbie

Macsterling is dumb

Yes Macsterling is dumb. i have had my case since christmas, 3 months. even cleaned the back of the phone before i placed the case on there. I used another all before this one, no scratches at all. I took the case off last week to clean the phone and noticed three major deep scratches in the back of the phone that correlate with the plastic ridges in the back of the case. You buy a case to stop this from happening, not to induce it noob.

he was making a comment about staying away from it, and it seems to be a popular problem with these cases. sdfu please.

19. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

i agree with you macsterling these people that think that any case wont scratch the thing are fooling themselves. anytime something comes in contact with something else ie phone and case, it will cause friction, friction causes scratches nothing can be done about it. sorry thats life.