My Aluminum Macbook freezes during start up (I've done the research)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by siratherock, Apr 28, 2009.

1. siratherock macrumors newbie

My aluminum macbook freezes after the booting, and shows only the dock and the wallpaper (not even the task bar on top). I tried pushing the power button, and nothing happen, only the mouse can move. The only solution is to force it to shut down by holdingt he power button. Any advice or solution to this problem? Thank you for your time.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Boot into Safe Mode (hold down SHIFT on start up). This will basically determine whether an Archive/Install is needed or an Erase/Install.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I would do two things. Firstly, boot into single user mode by holding down command+S on startup. Then type "fsck -fy" (without the quotes), which will verify the disk. If everything checks out, then type "reboot" (again without quotes) and your computer will restart. Then hold down command+option+P+R which will reset your PRAM. Hopefully one of these will work. Good Luck.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You could do that but highly doubtful it will fix the problem. It looks like a file is corrupted (did you do any updates recently?). Another good idea is to boot off your install discs and run disk utility. Again, doubtful it will work but you can try. You're probably looking at a reinstall of some sort.