My Apple support says antenna firmware fix is coming very very soon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone-nut, Jun 25, 2010.

1. iphone-nut macrumors newbie

We (me & wife) have been using our 3g iphones for 2 years now and never had 3g reception issues (we're in Northern VA) until we upgraded to the iPhone 4. So I decided to finally call Apple support. About 30 minutes into the call, my case was escalated to a higher level support person. He essentially confirmed to me that there are 2 issues with the iPhone 4 antenna, and both are not hardware related and can be fixed by a firmware update. The 2 issues are:

1) The number of bars showing is not really correct. For example, instead of 3 or 4 bars of signal strength, your iphone may only show 1 bar. But this doesn't affect the voice quality. I confirmed this problem on my iphone 4, compared to my iphone 3g.
    2) There's a bug in the firmware preventing the phone from finding/grabbing a 3g signal. I thought I heard wrong so I asked him twice to confirm this and he said that Apple already knows about this and is working hard to issue a fix.

I pressed him about the release date for the fix and he said "very very soon" and wouldn't be surprised if it arrives next week.

Just wanted to pass this along, so take it for what it's worth. He even gave me his phone # and told me that I can return my phones anytime (after the 30 days) if the update doesn't fix my problem. Apple support rocks.

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

You and your wife are lucky.

I have 2 3G and 2 3GS phones in my house right now and they ALL lose signal strength when picked up off the coffee table.

3. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

We've heard three different explanations this morning alone from Apple support.

4. mra1989 macrumors member

Exactly, so who the hell knows what they are talking about or what is really going on? I hope the batch of iPhone 4s set to ship on the 14th don't have this issue.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I've worked in many call centers, starting off taking calls and moving my way up...

We used to make up stuff like this just to calm the customer. Usually this bunk information came from upper management, but sometimes we just did it to get the customer off the phone before we got yelled / cussed at.

Never, ever take the word of a low-level support person (or any call-center employee). Nothing is true or confirmed until you see an official statement from Apple.

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

That info sounds like BS to me. not buying it. I hope they recall and update.