Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
My Apple Watch (latest model) has had a strange reaction.

At the top of the dec it started, as an occasional electrical pulse which I would feel in my other hand. I had some weird feelings when it came out of the package but thought it would go away. That pulse was intermittent. It gradually increased.

So I took it off for a few days. No problem. Wore it today to discover a few more problems. The electric pulse was occurring at regular times and occurred longer. Every few seconds for about an hour or two before I went to the help line and took it off.

When I took it off I noticed a red circle of my skin… and after a few minutes the area felt like when a burn happens and the nervous system starts noticing - no pain - but it was like feeling was gradually being restored.

The skin - at the close examination - appeared shiny around my wrist. Not oilly, where you could wipe it off, but more like a mild sunburn.

I’m working with apple support now but I’m curious what could cause this… if anyone else has been affected or experienced this. I don’t think I’m skin sensitive because I had both an Apple Watch first edition, Apple Watch 3rd edition and now the 7. (I may or may not have had a 5 in there - I think I did.)

I love the Apple Watch but I’m concerned - hopefully, it’s just a malfunction on the watch itself and just needs to be repaired or replaced. The contact lead did feel like it’s warm (the bottom of the watch that touches your wrist) - which it doesn’t usually feel that warm during normal use. Usually, it feels that warm during a hot summer day but it’s the middle of winter.

Also, the Apple Watch changed my life… so praying it’s a fluke.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Since having it off my natural equilibrium seems much better… it’s weird. Honestly this whole thing is weird.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Watch material?
How long have you had it?
After how many days have you noticed this?
Did you hold it under water to clean?
If not, do that, use mild soap to clean the bottom.
What band? Ever used that band before?
Use a band from your older watches that haven’t been giving you issues
There have been people here reporting similar issues, you might be sensitive ;(

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Watch material?

Lol…. I don’t know how to answer that. Like normal sport band I think

How long have you had it?
It’s the new model so a few months.
After how many days have you noticed this?
The burn happened today, but the electric pulsing a few weeks as noted in post

Is that safe?

If not, do that, use mild soap to clean the bottom.
What band? Ever used that band before?
See above

There have been people here reporting similar issues, you might be sensitive ;(

Also it was circular burn not full wrist and it was loose enough to out a finger under.

But also nit my first watch.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It’s the new model so a few months.

The burn happened today, but the electric pulsing a few weeks as noted in post

Is that safe?

See above

Also it was circular burn not full wrist and it was loose enough to out a finger under.

But also nit my first watch.
So a bit hard to follow…
Yes, you can wash your watch under water, I shower with mine on every day, have been for several years with no issue.
Have you tried wearing it on your other arm?
Is this watch a different material from what you had before?
Does the watch function properly, eg ECG, blood oxygen etc etc

Since it started all in a sudden after wearing it for some time, I’d go and see a doctor …

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
So a bit hard to follow…
Yes, you can wash your watch under water, I shower with mine on every day, have been for several years with no issue.
Have you tried wearing it on your other arm?
Is this watch a different material from what you had before?
Does the watch function properly, eg ECG, blood oxygen etc etc

Since it started all in a sudden after wearing it for some time, I’d go and see a doctor …
From what I can tell it is not different material. Yes the watch seems to function perfectly….

That last one sounds expensive.

• Haha
Reactions: Roy Hobbs

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
After further investigation, it looks like the issues resulted when the new watch came in. :( so they issuing my a full refund. It's just sad, maybe something new about it is causing the effect. Their engineer team thinks I was wither wearing it wrong (when they shared their recommendations, I was compliant to those guidelines) or that it's a unique sensitivity to the watch.

Either way, its a sad day for Apple Watch and wearables....

I use it because it's much easier to check notifications and such on the watch while in meetings - in fact my stress level greatly decreased because it just felt natural and less stressful than an iPhone notification.

Maybe the one in September will be engineered to help fix the problem - but I'm kind of wondering if I can get a smart watch WITHOUT any of the sensors... like time and notifications please. Maybe audio.... but for it to work with the iPhone.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
After further investigation, it looks like the issues resulted when the new watch came in. :( so they issuing my a full refund. It's just sad, maybe something new about it is causing the effect. Their engineer team thinks I was wither wearing it wrong (when they shared their recommendations, I was compliant to those guidelines) or that it's a unique sensitivity to the watch.

Either way, its a sad day for Apple Watch and wearables....

I use it because it's much easier to check notifications and such on the watch while in meetings - in fact my stress level greatly decreased because it just felt natural and less stressful than an iPhone notification.

Maybe the one in September will be engineered to help fix the problem - but I'm kind of wondering if I can get a smart watch WITHOUT any of the sensors... like time and notifications please. Maybe audio.... but for it to work with the iPhone.
so AW7 has blood oxygen sensor, which according to your AW history is new to you.
you have not really told us: is it All model? stainless steel Titanium? what material was your previous AW?

If it started right when you got it (which is unclear from your posts), then maybe there was something wrong with the watch?

you could buy another one, you have 14 days to return it if you buy from Apple. Try it out, switch left and right arm, turn blood oxygen off etc ...

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
The human body is weird. There's really no predicting what might throw it off. I've never been allergic to anything, but there was a few months I'd get mild hives almost every night. Then, one day it just stopped. It's never happened again. I still don't know what that was about.

Sorry that's happening. I'd try a swap first before giving up. Maybe it is something specific about that exact watch.

Cotypubby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2020
Fire toy start as an occasional electrical pulse which I would feel in my other hand. That pulse was intermittent. It gradually increased.
For the life of me I cannot parse what this sentence is supposed to mean. "Fire toy start"? You feel something in your other hand and think it's because of the watch? wtf?

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Have you considered that it might be psychosomatic? Maybe just try to ignore the problem and forget about it?
It is not,... I did a test last week a few days on and a few days off. Def, when it was off it felt better, but when it was on it... just was weird.

Electrical currents are the essential communication platform for your nervous system - it's bio chemical interactions and electrical impulses that send and receive information from all around your body to your brain.

Prolonged exposure to non-life-threatening electric signals - could result in your nervous system interpreting information incorrectly or not receive the information at all. For now, I've sent it back and will hold off a few before considering it again.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
For the life of me I cannot parse what this sentence is supposed to mean. "Fire toy start"? You feel something in your other hand and think it's because of the watch? wtf?
As noted in a previous reply, your nervous system does this. Specifically with bad burns... When I had a serious oil burn on a small corner of my arm - I would feel the pain but it was either around the burn or in a different area.

I'm not a neuroscientist but I suspect an electric pulse that doesn't have an out (currents are positive and negative) will search for another ground point. It's plausible that the ground point was just my other arm...

However... all of this... like this entire experience seems so very weird. Like hearing myself talk about it to medical professionals and the apple support staff - is like... Am I going crazy?

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
The human body is weird. There's really no predicting what might throw it off. I've never been allergic to anything, but there was a few months I'd get mild hives almost every night. Then, one day it just stopped. It's never happened again. I still don't know what that was about.

Sorry that's happening. I'd try a swap first before giving up. Maybe it is something specific about that exact watch.
I agree, but their engineers don't think so... They think the watch is in perfect working order.

Idk, just following the best advice they are giving me at the time.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My grown daughter has had this same experience with her new series 7 watch. Stickiness on the skin under the watch itself along with burning and tingling sensation on her wrist. Tried different bands and the other wrist. Sensation goes away when the watch is off for an hour or so. It will likely be going back within the 14 days return window.

Reactions: Saturn007

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
My grown daughter has had this same experience with her new series 7 watch. Stickiness on the skin under the watch itself along with burning and tingling sensation on her wrist. Tried different bands and the other wrist. Sensation goes away when the watch is off for an hour or so. It will likely be going back within the 14 days return window.
Yeah I think Apple has a serious issue. That really need to look into it.

Dobbel

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2018
Netherlands
Well -jumpcutking- maybe you can try joining apple to solve the issue.
You showed your knowledge on jan 25….with a complete novel physics law:
“I'm not a neuroscientist but I suspect an electric pulse that doesn't have an out (currents are positive and negative) will search for another ground point. It's plausible that the ground point was just my other arm..”

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yeah I think Apple has a serious issue. That really need to look into it.
No. Millions of Apple Watches have been sold worldwide with only a very small group of people demonstrating irritation, many of whom have never warn a watch before, or have never warn a band made out of the same fluoroelastomer. This is almost certainly contact dermatitis due to sensitivity to one or more materials used in the case of the watch and/or band. If you feel like testing it, power off the watch completely and wear it around like before. If you get the same irritation, then it’s the materials the watch is made of.

You should consult a dermatologist, not an Apple engineer.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Others mention seeing your doctor if the watch is bugging you. Wait 2 weeks to get an appointment, then beyond return window. I could hear the doc, “when did this start? When you started wearing the watch? Well, stop wearing the watch.”

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Others mention seeing your doctor if the watch is bugging you. Wait 2 weeks to get an appointment, then beyond return window. I could hear the doc, “when did this start? When you started wearing the watch? Well, stop wearing the watch.”
But sensitivities to different materials like this are not unusual. My wife cannot wear earrings in her pierced ears that have ”surgical steel” or “hypoallergenic” posts. The posts have to be gold (and not just gold plated) or her earlobes get very irritated.

lol, and it’s not just so she can get nicer earrings from me — I’ve made that joke with her many, many times.

If someone has sensitivity to the watch or watchband, and swapping out the band for something with a different material (leather, metal, nylon) doesn’t help, you should 100% return the watch. Consult a dermatologist and re-purchase the watch if they have any advice or treatment for you.

But the Apple Watch itself does not need to be re-engineered, and the irritation is not due to “radiation” emitted by the watch. The big star in the sky bathes you in thousands of times more EM radiation than the watch could ever generate. Not to mention all the radio stations and cell towers throughout most local landscapes.

Reactions: Falkon71

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
But sensitivities to different materials like this are not unusual. My wife cannot wear earrings in her pierced ears that have ”surgical steel” or “hypoallergenic” posts. The posts have to be gold (and not just gold plated) or her earlobes get very irritated.

lol, and it’s not just so she can get nicer earrings from me — I’ve made that joke with her many, many times.

If someone has sensitivity to the watch or watchband, and swapping out the band for something with a different material (leather, metal, nylon) doesn’t help, you should 100% return the watch. Consult a dermatologist and re-purchase the watch if they have any advice or treatment for you.

But the Apple Watch itself does not need to be re-engineered, and the irritation is not due to “radiation” emitted by the watch. The big star in the sky bathes you in thousands of times more EM radiation than the watch could ever generate. Not to mention all the radio stations and cell towers throughout most local landscapes.
My daughter has no problem with the burning/tingling if she wears the watch turned off on her wrist. She tried several different bands. We even tried a couple of things in between the watch and her wrist. She tried an EMF thing but that just kept the watch locked all the time. So as much as she likes it, she’s going to return it. ?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My daughter has no problem with the burning/tingling if she wears the watch turned off on her wrist. She tried several different bands. We even tried a couple of things in between the watch and her wrist. She tried an EMF thing but that just kept the watch locked all the time. So as much as she likes it, she’s going to return it. ?
I don’t doubt that she has hypersensitivity dermatitis while wearing the watch, but it’s got nothing to do with it powered on. Does she get a rash if she holds her powered-on cellphone to her wrist? Or to her head? If not, which I’m certain is the case, then it’s clearly not the EM emissions from the watch. The phone’s energy output is significantly more than that of the watch.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I don’t doubt that she has hypersensitivity dermatitis while wearing the watch, but it’s got nothing to do with it powered on. Does she get a rash if she holds her powered-on no idea what is causing the cellphone to her wrist? Or to her head? If not, which I’m certain is the case, then it’s clearly not the EM emissions from the watch. The phone’s energy output is significantly more than that of the watch.
No idea what is causing the problem but she doesn’t get a rash. She gets a burning/tingling sensation on her wrist when the watch is turned on and on her wrist. Like I said tried multiple different types of bands and even put material in between her wrist and the watch. She has never had an issue with her phone but it’s also always in a case.

There are many complaints of this same issue on line. My other daughter and my husband both wear the Watches with no problems.

She would love to keep the watch but won’t wear something that bothers her.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I suspect that it was a fault in the manufacture of this particular watch. I’ve used the 5, the 3, and the 1 with no issues. It was the first time I’ve ever encountered the issue.

I thought I had updated this post. Apple has the watch now and issued me a full refund. I also sought medical advice and they suspect it was something to do with the watch itself - because I had many years without issues.

It’s strange - and most likely a very very rare case. It’s been odd not to have my Apple Watch. When they release a new version I’ll try it out again - but I’m giving my arm a year or so of healing lol.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think you’re confusing a skin allergy to something in the band or the finish of the watch with “electrical pulses”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.