My ATT store: 100 phones. & account holder must be at apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Haywire Robot, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Haywire Robot macrumors newbie

So, the guy kinda looked around when I asked him how many they had, and then muttered "50...maybe a 100...get here around 4 or 5."

Meanwhile, people are lining up at 7 the night before at this store.

He also said he had no idea if they even had the 16 GB in yet. He knew the 8 gbs were there for sure.

I'm hoping for a shipment of 16 gbs to my store over night...otherwise... :(

Just thought I'd share. I know people are getting the "no clue" response.

ALSO

AT&T will take anyone who is an authorized user to buy the phone. Apple's store manager at my branch told me they must have the account holder with all those things that have been mentioned to do it. Just thought that might clear something up.

2. island macrumors 6502

island

99% sure that this is only in very few stores, depending on the manager. One of the bigger stores near me let my buddy (authorized user) switch a line off his ex-wifes account and put it on his own without her being there. She forgot to take him off as an authorized user and the guy at the counter didn't even blink with making changes.

3. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. I know. But apple is different then the AT&T store. AT&T will take any authorized user.

4. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

5. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I highly doubt AT&T is gonna release the amount of phones they have in stock...

6. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not that crazy. A lot of employees, like mine, didn't really give a **** and will just tell you.

7. cgentry macrumors member

AT&T isn't supposed to disclose how many they have. I went in 45 minutes ago and talked to the guy who did my credit check. They were just about to close, no one else was in the store except for his co-worker who I had also talked to when I went in to get my credit check... We talked. My store (really small) is only getting 16. He laid out the amounts. 10 8gig/6 16gig (3 black, 3 white). He then, with 5 minute left until close, handed over the phone. He said, "you have 5 minutes." It was. Amazingly cool. But, then again, so was the original iPhone. Yeah. It's about the same, really. Oh well..
    The black DOES smudge just as bad as we all feared. I think I'm now sold on a white one. Hmm. But, really... It's cool. It's nice. It feels good.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I emailed AT&T and they stated as long as I am an authorized user, I will be able to upgrade to the 3G iPhone granted I have the necessary info. He also stated either Apple Store or AT&T store can do it.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

they come in boxes of 10, so 16 is pretty unlikely.

10. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple probably doesn't have access to the authorization, so they can't. I'm just repeating what the store manager said to me. He immediately said no, that the account holder must be there with all the information, even if I am authorized. He said this was specifically to prevent the black market of iPhones.

Furthermore, the AT&T employee said they have absolutely no idea how apple is getting through the activation process without their computers.

Obviously AT&T and Apple do not know much, but I'm going with the company that actually activates the phone...AT&T.

11. cgentry macrumors member

Unlikely or not, that's how many the dude told me they had.

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Then employees took 4 :D

13. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

That's actually not the case. I called AT&T corporate today to clear up this issue. They in turn called Apple, and if you're the an authorized user (must be over 18) you can indeed purchase an iPhone from the Apple store. If you encounter problems, simply have the manager call AT&T and that'll clear things up.

14. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm so sick of these two companies not being on the same page.

15. cgentry macrumors member

NO! They would NEVER do that!!! ;)
    I'm totally unsure, living in bumeff no where, what time i should get to the store. hm. i guess the anticipation is starting to set in.

16. Haywire Robot thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been told 4 or 5. Or now, by employees. It's 845 at night here.

17. island macrumors 6502

island

Oops, didn't see that part, I would agree that Apple would be a little bit more harder to deal with.

18. dangoland macrumors member

I showed up at my apple store and asked them since I am not the main account holder bur an authorized user and was told as long as I had the 'account password' I should be ok. I guess if anything I would grab one of their macs, hit at&t.com and show them that I am, indeed authorized.

I'm hitting an AT&T store before I hit apple store though, got a really big AT&T near me because I'm afraid when it comes to activating phone plan I'll trust AT&T, they will be the ones billing me, when it comes to fixing the precious iPhone I'll gladly hit an Apple Store.

19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

it's insane. apple needs to get in line.

they're ATT's accounts, ATT's financial responsibility & ATT's policies, and apple needs to stop this B/S. Policy should be the same... PERIOD