My B/I ethernet (G4 Dual 533) won't SEE router.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tannermal, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tannermal macrumors newbie

So, the built ethernet will not communicate with the N+ Belkin router I just bought. I don't think the ethernet cable is a crossover (plus it worked when plugged directly into the cable modem, it also worked when setting up the ibook) and when I plug both ends into two of the four slots of the router the "wired" light comes on (according to folks at Belkin this proves my cable is good). The Belkin folks are blaming my ethernet port and believe there is something I could do but can't help reconfigure the ethernets IP address????????

Just to double check, I hooked up the belkin with my ibook G4 (much newer) and it worked fine through the router.

The ibook has airport, do I need Airport in my old G4 desktop? Can't I just leave it connected to my router (if it worked)

The whole point is to get two computers on line at the same time.

Would anybody like to share some :apple:thoughts?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can have some computers connected wirelessly and others via ethernet on the same network using the same router. It doesn't matter.

Connect the two computers directly using an ethernet cable. On each computer, take a look under

 -> System Preferences -> Network

What does it says under/beside "Ethernet" or "Built-in Ethernet"?

(You didn't mention what operating systems you're running, so I'm doing some guessing here.)