My battery is stuck. can I still change the ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urbanskywalker, Apr 3, 2009.

1. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

I bought 4 gigs of ram and I pulled the bottom of the laptop to change it, but the plastic pull tab broke of the battery and I just can't get it out. Do you think it is safe to change the ram with the battery in?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

SOunds like the latch wasn't all the way up before you pulled the tab. How are you planning on swapping the RAM without removing the battery? Access is in the battery cavity.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

depends on which laptop you have - the iBook is under the keyboard, not the battery.

4. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes the latch slipped back on me. What a totally frustrating experience. For some reason the back cover did not line up and I managed to strip two of the screws on the back cover. In the end I could not get two of them back in.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Haha, man...I did the same thing. I went to pull the battery out and didn't realize my latch was partially down. The plastic tab came out, but the battery still drops out if I unlatch it all the way. And actually, I put the tab back in because it was still a little tacky, and it sticks a little bit again now :eek:

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I wasn't aware that the ibook could support 4GB of RAM. I thought the max was 1.5GB on the latest model.

7. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

maybe you should take it to the genius bar whether or not you have Apple Care on that thing. It'd be more professionally handled in removing the battery

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

It doesn't. I was just thinking about putting in RAM on my iBook.

9. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I'm not sure of the relevance to the OP then.

10. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

We don't all live near a genius bar. I live in a small city and there is no Apple store for several hundred miles. I got the battery problem sorted but now my screws are toast on the bottom plate. Anyone know where I can find the same screws?