My biggest of only a few complaints - overall love the computer though

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KSpider, Oct 24, 2008.

1. KSpider macrumors regular

My biggest complaint is the %$#@$I% button/trackpad.

First of all, it only registers maybe 60% of my clicks. Sometimes I have to take my fingers completely off for a second, then click for it to register it.

2nd, I cannot click it with just a finger motion, I have to use lots of force from my hand/arm to click the dang thing. It seriously takes me to move my entire hand to click it, i cant just push my thumb a little to click it like the previous buttons.

3rd, It is the loudest click I think I have ever heard. Painfully loud.

Am I alone here?

Otherwise, love the computer/design and whatnot, i just need to get this mouse clicking thing figured out or Im going to be very frustrated.

2. itcomic macrumors member

the click loud sound cannot be avoid , its hardware issue to prevent accidental click when tabbing lightly on the trackpad. Othe issues are just software bugs, need update to fix it. The best thing is send complains to apple technical department, so they can keep that as record and will update the software bugs. I personally don't like to use any trackpad at all, doesn't matter what kind of notebook. I still like to use a usb laptop mouse.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i find that the "buttonless" trackpad is best used like the last generation...with a thumb on the lower portion. Dont bother trying to click any higher than half way up on the trackpad.

4. andybill macrumors newbie

I agree 100%, too loud and doesn't register.

It is so loud, i actually feel bad clicking on things when in the library!

5. MikeBrWade macrumors member

Why don't you just enable the "click on touch" on the touch pad like the old ones. Then you dont' have to "click" it all the way down. That is what i am doing.. and I think the new trackpad is great. You can use it just like you used to use the regular one if you set it up that way

6. south8212 macrumors 6502

exactly! just turn on tap to click and bam problem solved.

7. joshallegro macrumors newbie

Agree

Yes I totally agree. I just bought one.... very loud CLICK. Does anyone think they might amend this defect if enough people complain?

8. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I was annoyed by the loud click too, until I started using Click on Touch.

9. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

Then i get unwanted clicks and drags and whatnot. ill put my finger on the touchpad to move the mouse, and it will click on what the mouse was over...

and wtf, BIGGEST? Is that even a word lol. Largest...

10. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

i think that might be the problem, I leave my thumb on the bottom of it, and when i click it, it doesnt register it...i dont know why or what the deal is, but i could click 50 times in a row and it wont take it, unless i remove all fingers then click.

11. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I love the computer but do agree the trackpad sometimes isn't great.

12. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I've noticed this too over the last day. I tried going with just using my index finger to click and leaving my thumb off the trackpad altogether, plus that makes dragging way too clumsy. I think its less because of your thumb resting on the trackpad than it is your palm touching the bottom-right edge when you're resting your thumb there. This would seem to be something that Apple could fix in an update if they notice its a problem - just need to make sure that inadvertent palm touches are ignored.

13. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

they need to make sure a click on the button is a click of the button, no matter what is going on with the touching... that would help 90% of my issues...

zooming in and out of safari i can deal with, but not registering clicks is just painful.

14. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

I called applecare, because the non-registering of button presses were getting unbearable. They had me reset the PRAM and so far so good, 15 minutes and no problems...

15. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

I take that back, its still not registering some clicks.

Is ANYONE else having this problem??? I can click 10-50 times and it wont register the click until i remove all fingers from the touchpad and then click... This happens every 5-10 minutes or less

16. south8212 macrumors 6502

nope, shouldnt be giving you those problems, id take it back

17. bryanl macrumors member

I took bad the first one I purchased, and the trackpad is much better on the second one. Better but not perfect.

18. Apple addict macrumors member

The track pad on my MBP seems to work fine. The click is loud but not as loud as the MB I had. (both late 2008 models).

I don't know if it is an issue in your case but I had some response problems when I first began to use the new track pad design. The issue turned out to be that I was touching the pad with more that one finger, inadvertently resting a finger on my other hand on a portion of the pad.

Gary

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I agree, new trackpad is not as good at the old one. tap to click has helped though.

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Either I have a really good example of the new trackpad, or I (and my friends) are just really strong, and really deaf. :confused:

This has been one of my favorite features on this laptop. I now find other trackpads too small, and and somewhat annoying to use. Hopefully they wear in okay, and don't get any harder or easier (false clicks) to use after long term use.

[​IMG]

21. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

To the OP, maybe Im misreading but did you say you rest your thumb on the trackpad while using? I dont think this is a defect, I think you leaving your thumb on the trackpad is causing your issue. Then when you click with your finger or leave a finger on a click with your thumb, it might think you are attempting to do some multi touch gesture. On my older MBP, I have almost the same problem, if I have 2 fingers on the trackpad and try to click on something, it doesnt work. If I slide one finger to what I want to click on and just tap, Im golden. Maybe thats your issue here?

On another note, I went to the Apple store by me to see the new MBPs and I loved the trackpad. Ive actually been thinking about figuring out a way to put the new trackpad in my old (late 08) MBP. It looks like the same size cutout to me.

22. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

can u still tap the new touchpad for a click, without pressing it, like before?

Now, i can just tap the touchpad for a click, without using my button.

If it loses that functionality, sorry, im out apple.

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes. It is exactly what the person below was talking about.

Not exactly sure why someone would Drop using OS X if that feature wasn't present, but it is still there. Problems and all ;) .

[​IMG]