My biggest problem with iPhones in general...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sh00tingStar, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Sh00tingStar, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Sh00tingStar macrumors member

They are so damn PRETTY! Just waaaaay too beautiful to cover up with any case. Cases and covers on most Android phones can actually improve the look of the device, but not so with an Apple product.

I'm using a very minimal transparent TPU case. I've had the phone for almost 3 weeks, and I just hate putting any kind case of my new Space Gray 5s. :cool:

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I wish I could use a transparent case but from experience, they tend to become yellow or brown and ugly after a while. Have you found one that doesn't do that?.

3. gCloud macrumors 6502a

my biggest and only problem is lack of of a files system (even a single folder) that is accessible by apps, I want to be able to attach a file (not a picture or video) to a reply email.

4. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I agree with you OP.. the most aesthetically pleasing smartphone on the market to date...

5. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I never use a case for this very reason :). I have to admit though, not putting a case on this gold 5s is tough.. Its soooo purdyy right now

6. Sh00tingStar thread starter macrumors member

They all do. I buy a bunch of one particular case from Sw-Box in China and throw them away after a month or two. Ten of the one I like go a long way for $20 shipped.

7. sucka free macrumors member

Really man, That's your biggest problem?
    Let's try ..

Having to still use a computer to do things your phone should already do

1. Flash - come the F on already
    2. Can't save attachments, attach attachments, or do anything that has anything to do with a file format - this is straight rediculous.
    3. Photo cataloging- ok they kinda fixed that one.

And for good measure I'll throw in a couple more nuances.

3. Battery life- you keep telling me it's getting better each release, but I don't see it.
    4. The cables are always taking a crap-I've bought hundreds of dollars worth of charging cables and they all break, I don't care who makes them...now your telling me I can only buy YOUR over priced cables which suck worse than all the rest. Thanks

An your biggest gripe is a case ?

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

See above...

9. musika macrumors 65816

musika

So don't use a case. Scratches are scratches. These devices are meant to be scratched and nicked. And if you're worried about drops/shatters, consider AppleCare+.

10. Raibyn macrumors regular

Raibyn

Complaining about not having a flash player on the iPhone is so 2010. It is never going to happen and is not even needed any longer. Even Android has dropped flash support.

11. s54 macrumors regular

haha, oh man...

I see it way too often. People buy crap aftermarket cables and docks because they want to "save" a few bucks. Then, they end up buying several more because all of them crap out.

So, at the end of the year, they are ~$100 deep in cables, whereas had they bought OEM Apple cable for $30 to begin with, there would be no need to spend more!

In the last 4 years, I owned 4 iPhones. During that time, I owned about 10 charging cables because I like to have them in more than one place. All of them were OEM Apple cables and not a single one of them ever broke.

12. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

I buy aftermarket cables for about 3 bucks, had 10% fail over time. I am in about $20 deep in aftermarket crap. But I have a cable in both vehicles, work, 3 in house, on at trailer etc etc. I wasted the savings on beer

13. Sh00tingStar thread starter macrumors member

Who said anything about scratches? :rolleyes: I use a case primarily to give me something to hang on to. The phones are beautiful with all that metal and glass, but that metal and glass and the thinness of the design does not provide the best grip.

I owned an HTC One for 3 days. It was a beautiful piece of hardware, but I could not put up with the Android OS.

14. walmartmartyr, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I can see how you think the iphone is beautiful, especially compared to android. The difference is night and day......

15. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Oh, I was wondering what your take on the looks of the iPhones was. I hadn't been sleeping well waiting for your opinion. Have you read any good books lately? :rolleyes:

16. sucka free macrumors member

1. I know apple has killed flash, but enough websites still use flash that it's inconvenient when your looking for something and your phone won't support it. That's all ..

3. I tried putting my phone down, it only works for about 30 seconds at a time.

4. I AM talking about apple OEM cables.
    They always stop working after a couple months. They separate or get frayed or just stop consistently working. to the point that I never bother to take them out of the box anymore.

I know you can walk into an apple store and they will swap them out for you but it's a PITA

Don't care if it's an apple cable, an aftermarket cable, a cheap swap meet cable, or a car charger. some last longer tha others, but they all take a crap sooner than they should.
    Same problem with the iPad.

17. s54 macrumors regular

Maybe you're just one of those clueless sheeple who yanks the cables out of the outlet or USB by the cord. Yeah, that's probably it. Otherwise, I call BS.

If you use the cables with even a little bit of care, they last. I never had an OEM Apple cable crap out on me. I'm willing to bet that most "failures" are due to idiots who treat them like they are indestructible.

18. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Come on, Flash was DOA on mobile. It flopped hard. Jobs was right on. Adobe even admitted it and stopped development, 2 years ago. Any site using it is behind the times.

You can save attachments, but I agree, not being able to attach from within mail, with no central doc location for all apps to access is still a nagging issue.

Battery life is so subjective and their are so many variables, it's hard to know where the truth lies. In my own experience, it's pretty much the same generation to generation (I'm on the S series upgrade path).

But cables? I'm still using Apple cables that are 5-6 years old - one failure. Heck even the one's I bought on Monoprice are are 4-5 years old and work perfectly. I just purchased 6' Mifi Lighting cables from Monoprice and have full confidence they will hold up. I'm not judging you, but I think many other people are really hard on their cables.

----------

Have you ever tired just putting something like a Zagg Invisible shield on it? I did that for quite a while with my iPhone 4S and it was nice except the protection issue.

19. sucka free macrumors member

They don't break at the outlet, they break at the phone, or they don't break anywhere an just stop working.

7 years, 5 iPhones, and 2 iPads later...they all have broken. And I'm the idiot?

Attached Files:

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've had a couple of Apple cables crap out on me, and believe me, I'm the type who treats my stuff with care, because I expect it to last me several years at least. For example, my old SNES, the controllers that came with it, and all the games still work. That's over 20 year old hardware! So yes, even Apple products fail for no good reason sometimes. They're not perfect.

21. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

I bet the games in your NES don't work though.... man that was a pain, blowing on them all the time.

22. satchow macrumors 6502

1) Flash? We talking about Flash? Something that was discontinued on mobile months/years ago? Flash?
    2) "Rediculous"
    3) Agreed w/ the battery life. It'll get better with the iPhone 6 Maxx next year though probably.
    4) All I know is if you've bought hundreds of dollars of cables, and they all break, maybe just maybe it's not the cable's fault.

23. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

My 2 cents:

1. Limit access to files of "not supported" types is really a big issue. Can't easily save certain documents and then open them with other apps.

2. Inability to share using various apps. For example, if i want to share a picture through What's App, I have to go into What's App and send the picture. Videos, the same. Documents, it's not possible to share documents.

3. Dynamic Wallpapers - Why build it if you are not going to let me use my own wallpaper and only give me a handful to choose from? They MAY be working on something on this but as of now, nothing...

4. Inability to share large files with other platforms. With AirDrop now we can send picture and video files to other iOS users but there is no way to send something to Android, Windows OS and BB10 users. I do have friends who use other OSes.

5. Cannot change default apps. You sort of end up being forced to use the Apple apps. Now buying the phone is a choice, but I would like some freedom when using certain apps. For example, Maps. Google maps works better for me, but it's always the Apple Maps app that loads up.

6. Customization - This one is a very small issue in the bigger picture but would be nice to have. Every iPhone looks just like the other in the sense that all the icons look identical, all the layouts are identical. Now some people like it, others don't. I'm an individual and prefer to be able to customize the screen a bit. For example, lockscreen launching apps. Would be nice to customize and be able to put other apps on the lock screen according to preference. For some, they might even want to change the layout of the App Grid and overall look of iOS.

7. Centralization of App Options - Some apps have options right in the app itself. For some apps I have to go to the Settings screen to view the settings. Uniformaty there would be appreciated.

Those are some of the issues that come to mind. Would be nice to see them worked on or resolved.

24. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Ah, good point. Didn't think of that. Hold on tight?