My Birthday is coming soon, so I need to be decisive!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StrikeNet, Sep 5, 2010.

1. StrikeNet macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Quick question, my birthday is coming up soon, so I need to make up my mind about what I want. (It's october 10th)

I really really want an iPhone, and have wanted one for some time... since the first one came out. However, I'd also like to not be locked into an AT&T contract, if I don't have to. So my question is: should I wait until January-ish to see if the new iPhone with other carriers is coming, or should I just go for it, and get the iPhone 4 on AT&T?

Thanks for thoughts :)

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Hey there.
    No harm in waiting but there is NO guarantee, either.

So if you can wait, then wait. If not, the get it now with AT&T.

3. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, I'm impatient, but I'd hate to be so impatient that they come out with a brand new one that's like the best phone ever made a month or two later.

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If, in January, the iPhone goes to another carrier, I would bet that it looks/functions EXACTLY the same as the current iPhone 4.

Honestly, I would just get the iPhone now. Or, at most, wait for the white to come out and see if there are any carrier updates by then.

5. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

Right.
    There's just the 2 things I'm worried about that have been the most common problems.
    1. Antenna: I know it's not a massive issue, but I would like to see it fixed
    2. AT&T service. I know it's bad in some places, I think it's good where I live, but I do travel from time to time...

6. tigert07 macrumors regular

AT&T is not as bad as people make them out to be. I've had 2 iPhones with them inlcuding the iPhone 4 and they're amazing to me. I've also had serveral other phones before the iPhone and have yet to have an issue with them. I'll go with everybody else and just say if you can wait, wait. The next iPhone will probably be a reasonable step up. However be warned, next year AT&T's LTE network will more than likely be up and running. So MAYBE there will be an LTE iPhone in 2 years. So getting one now would open an upgrade at that time. Just something to think about. Happy early birthday. :apple:

7. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and Thanks! I dunno, I've been waiting for years, so I'm eager to get one, but I don't want to screw it up. Here's me totally being 'decisive' like the thread title says :p

btw: I love your sig, tigert07

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Get the iPhone 4 now. I doubt you'll regret getting it. I love mine!

9. tigert07 macrumors regular

Thanks :). The iPhone 4 is an awesome phone. If you do decide to go that route you will most certainly not regret it.

10. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm certainly going with Apple. Been an apple fan for a long time, and think wouldn't think of getting that Google crap :p It's just a question of when

11. theone09 macrumors regular

how about just get the ipod touch 32/64G for your up comming Birthday which is contract free, then wait until next summer to see how it changes. it's my 2 cents

12. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If you don't have AT&T then how do you know it's bad? Also caring about service in a place your not is just dumb.

13. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Like someone said before. There is no guarantee that it will change carriers, especially if the AT&T and Apple agreement is still in effect.

Plus there's also no guarantee if the carriers would change around January and by that time, it will already be too late to get the iPhone 4 since the 2011 iPhone model will be out 6 months.

So get it now

14. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

Really don't want an itouch, the internet is important to me

I never said AT&T was bad, and I honestly don't think it is. I've heard enough complaints to know it's not good in NYC, but it was just a comment. I do visit there a couple times a year, but maybe if the phone didn't work, that would be disconnect and relax time :p

i hate not having guarantees :(

15. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Thats Apple for ya

16. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

true true

17. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Try this--you have 30 days to return it. Get the phone and try it out. If you don't like it, take it back. AT&T will release you from the contract and Apple will refund you for the phone. It's really that simple.

Seriously, most of what you see on the Internet about any company or service are the complaints. The hundreds of thousands of people who are perfectly happy with that product or service don't bother posting, so if your sum total impression of a company is based on that, you're going to end up with a skewed viewpoint.

I've had an iPhone since 2007. I've had AT&T since 2000. No issues here with either. Doubt you'll have a problem, but you won't know unless you buy one and try it out.

18. StrikeNet thread starter macrumors newbie

that is a great idea. that solves every problem other than the new one coming out :D

19. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Is a the iPhone coming to different carriers in the US? It likely is, but the white iPhone 4 is supposedly coming as well and we all know how that has been.

I had been waiting for 3 years for the iPhone to come to Verizon and when it didn't come this past summer (because people had been saying for a whole year that it was coming to Verizon) I jumped ship to AT&T.

We personally love the iPhones and while AT&T does have some issues with network coverage in some of my areas Verizon did as well. I haven't had any issues with not being able to place a phone call but I have had a couple of dropped calls but it was super easy to call them right back. Honestly I can't say that I like AT&T any more or less than Verizon except that AT&T is cheaper for me because I can be on a lower voice plan since most of the people I call have AT&T phones (where mobile to mobile calling is free).

Besides, if you are purchasing the iPhone at a subsidized price you are going to be locked into a contract with whatever carrier you choose. If AT&T has that bad of service in your area then I would advise to wait.